Weld diff plug with fluid in or out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crumscustomwelding.com
A friend of mine wants me to weld up his drain plugs.Not because they are leaking,but they lossen up when wheelin`(dragged on rocks).He`s running synthetic in the housings.I`ll be tig weldn` them.Yes I`ll clean any oil off.Just wondering if anyone see a problem with doing it with the oil in.Thanks in advance.

cruiserhead said:
wondering if anyone see a problem with doing it

One problem really... Are you serious, does he not want to ever change the oil again?

Why don't you just add some protection to the plugs, like found on most LC axles, and get new seal rings and maybe even add some sealant. You know, like add a ring around the plug. Then you could remove the oil, weld it, then refill it.

Before you weld it - be sure and back out one of the upper studs and replace it with a bolt, so he can fill it in the future. Or since you have your TIG handy - just weld one of the bolts on to the stud for him and he'll be all set. Although, I'm curious what happened to the original diff plug protective ring as well? If it has been ground down - just weld another one on - like the Hawkdriver said.

Oh, and I don't see a problem doing it with the oil in it - it should act like a heat sink.

Last edited:
put some thread lock on there or somethin, why weld it. im with hawk on this one

There might be one problem, you are welding steel to Alum. the cooling rates on these is a lot different, and the expansion/contraction rates might actually tear away the Alum from the steel plug after "X" times of cooling and heating up.. at the very least I am sure over time it would fatigue the area around the plug making it weak..

Nagalfar said:
There might be one problem, you are welding steel to Alum. the cooling rates on these is a lot different, and the expansion/contraction rates might actually tear away the Alum from the steel plug after "X" times of cooling and heating up.. at the very least I am sure over time it would fatigue the area around the plug making it weak..

:confused:

Where is the aluminum on an axle housing or drain plug?

Further,

Cooling rates do not make any difference; you cannot weld aluminum to steel.

Poser your right about the housings I miss read the thread.. but, Aluminum can be welded to steel.. I think it was Honda or Mazda that developed how to do it a while back...

so wait, the high heat generated by welding something that is a closed environment will not cause a speedy or instant deterioration of the liquid within that enclosure more so than what it was designed for? I woud think that heat would cause some kind of reaction to the oil and make it seperate or brake down or curdle in some way?? or heat up in such a way it gets so hot it bubbles and creates pressure in that enclosed enviornment??

are you looking to weld it up completly or just tack it so it doesnt back out?

either way, make sure you disconnect your battery so you dont fry it.

ask me twice how i figured that out :doh:

I've welded the drains on all of my rigs for just that reason; they fall out on the trail. Don't worry about drining the oil to weld, there is not enough heat being generated to have any effect on a gallon of gear oil. As for driaining the diff, I replace the bottom stud with a longer stud and put two nuts on it so the stud backs out. Shure it takes a little longer to drian, but it beats draining it fast across the slabs of the rubicon or some other trail.
just my opinion, yours may be different.
PMK

Just weld the bastage. The oil dissapates the heat fast enough that you will not burn it.

Paragon eats drain plugs

cruiserhead said:
Yup,original ring ground off by rocks.And that was the answer I was looking for,"should be fine".I appreciate your feedback as usual.

lost mine twice at Paragon, try the ones that have the allen head.
They do not stick out as far.

www.marlincrawler.com/images/plug&socket_250.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom