We will name him Brutus. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have JIS driver(s)?
The bolts look like Phillips, but they are easy to round out unless you go at the job w/ JIS driver/bit.
uhh ive got some bit sets but unsure if any are JIS. Maybe need to make a trip to china freight

but I think my main concern is the fuel pump looks extremely clean. Screws are shiny and untouched. Could be because its got stupid low original miles. OR. Its been replaced and not working which then makes me concerned for someone replacing it with something incompatible.

Last edited:
them are 70$ screwdrivers brother. lol I found a nice 3pc set for 30$ on amazon. A lot closer to my budget

Correction I found a 6pc of that set but in a regular box and it was 40 bucks so I ordered that. Will be here tuesday so i will have it for when the pump kit comes wednesday

Last edited:
I think todays project is to figure out how to open the dang rear hatch so I can put the glass in the door but its snowing like mad out there. rear cargo area is full of totes of parts and I cant get inside and get to it well. going to hookup a pull cable of some sort since all the hatch handle prices are nonsense. Like imma pay 300$+ for a used handle and 600$ for billet one? lol. Either gonna do a 30$ electric popper, or run a bike brake cable to a pull handle.

In yalls professional opinion. how screwed is this.

IMG_20240325_150848001.jpg

Well. Rebuild kit came in. Nice kit. but my pump is the one with the 4 valves that are pressed in, and all 4 are shot. One is a two way valve now, the two intake side ones dont seal at all, and im not sure about the third but doesnt matter if its not going to move fluid. I used carb cleaner and bench tested and it would shoot the carb cleaner out, but when I put the fuel line on it and pumped it to oblivion, I get zero fuel. The now 2 way valve just makes farting noises inside the pump body.

Guess I am going to have to dig out the old holly 7psi and regulator I have laying around. Pretty gutted about that because its the first mechanical pump ive rebuilt and it went sour quickly lol

huge shoutout to @xtiaan2000 - he sent me a new filler neck for ol Brutus! Came in the mail today - pictures of that to come because its in the front seat of the daily still.

But today I got the pump wired, the regulator on, and now we 10000% have fuel to the carb. BUT. now I have no fuel coming out of the carb to the engine. I have the paperwork from the carb rebuild, and its had 20 miles put on it since the rebuilt..... in 2018. I REALLLLYYYY dont want to disassemble the carb. I have not done that before, I come from the world of fuel injection and junk. I already took one thing apart that turned out to be a bust, I really dont want the same to happen with the carb.

I hated the idea of doing a carb for a long time, but then I had to - a clean work surface and this video series by pinhead and it was easy:

Note, he makes an error at one point that is caught in the end - a spring or something, can't remember - just watch through, set up and away you go, you can do it, it's not voodoo science

I threw an area rug down on the snow and checked out my shifter situation, still a mystery. but I replaced the inline fuse section with a connector, and now I have brake lights, license plate lights, but still no turn signals or headlights.

I may have some concerns that I am in a bigger project than I anticipated. But I am in a little deep to bail out now with fear of not getting my investment back LOL

So that fuel pump I had on a shelf here for who knows how long - well the prefilter got plugged up, and pump starved. now its not moving any fuel and just kinda piddles out. New pump coming tomorrow, I have a bunch of new line. I am going to put 3 filters before the new Carbole china pump and its prefilter. Lifetime warranty on this pump so rather jam it up with whatever the tanks got than buy a fancy one just to choke it to death - and ill be damned if imma pay the prices they want for tanks out there lol

Shifter rod piece for the column shifter is snapped at the threads so im going to just drill and put a bolt or screw in there to hold it for now while I sort out the other junk. Still a bear to get rolling. Need to check my diff fluids and stuff. Definitely more of a project than it was supposed to be.

One thing you have to be careful of is adding an ethanol fuel mix to a tank that is old and that has never had ethanol introduced. With zero ethanol gasoline you will inevitably build up moisture in the bottom of the tank (unless you live in the desert I suppose). That's why most old tanks have rust in the bottom. The ethanol will bring that water into solution and, if it's too much water, the ethanol/water/rust mixture will drop out of solution and will be a quasi gelatinous mess.

Ethanol will actually keep a tank pretty clean assuming you don't start out with a lot of water in the tank.

I believe we all said this. :)

Can you post a picture or better description, I might have my old parts in the shop.

i have attached a picture of the broken chunk highlighted lol yeah i anticipated it being driveable by now at the least

One thing you have to be careful of is adding an ethanol fuel mix to a tank that is old and that has never had ethanol introduced. With zero ethanol gasoline you will inevitably build up moisture in the bottom of the tank (unless you live in the desert I suppose). That's why most old tanks have rust in the bottom. The ethanol will bring that water into solution and, if it's too much water, the ethanol/water/rust mixture will drop out of solution and will be a quasi gelatinous mess.

Ethanol will actually keep a tank pretty clean assuming you don't start out with a lot of water in the tank.

It was last driven in 2018 so im not 100% sure. I started with putting additives/stabilizers in the tank, then i put 5 gallons of premium in it. When the lines off the pump its just PISSIN out so i think i have good flow, but the filter was so jammed up I couldnt even get it to pump anything when I filled the prefilter with carb clean and hit the ignition

Messenger_creation_9ac8f3ba-37cd-4c61-935c-7a3ea7ae0f30.jpg

I just pulled that whole shifter rod, but it looks different than the picture. I'll get a picture of mine after dinner.