Vehicle Maintenance Record Keeping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTV

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm finally going to pick up my cruiser next week and I'm curious to know what y'all use to keep track of maintenance, modifications, repairs, fuel mileage, etc. I've used this book in the past and it's been ok but I assume there has to a better (more modern) way of doing so. I will be doing almost all maintenance and repairs myself and I plan on keeping this one forever so proper record keeping is paramount. Apologies if this has been covered before, I searched but perhaps I didn't use the correct key words(?).

All in the noggin'. My last two brain cells are multitasking masters.

I am sure there is gazillion of various apps and online services for something like this. I keep all my logs in "Notes" app on a phone.

07/10/2020 201222
Read topic about record keeping

07/09/2020 201222
Oil change, etc

I started logging all my stuff in the Lexus owners site, since it has everything but 10k miles in it. However, it's not very helpful for knowing when something is due on timing/mileage, so likely just going to start a simple spreadsheet with routine maintenance items. I imagine there's a template online already

I simply use a small pocket sized note pad that I keep in the console. I record date and mileage of any maintenance done.

Reactions: MJK
I use the Fuelly App on my iPhone to track everything... Have done since I had my 60.. Tracks both fuel and service, pretty easy to use and has the ability to do a "subscription" that will give you extra functionality like, multiple backups, photo receipts attached to service, etc.

When I sold my 60, I was able to export all the records associated with it (you name vehicles and create a profile) and send to the new owner so they could see everything I did. Then having a build thread here to correspond was great.

I have a spreadsheet for fillups, a second spreadsheet for completed maintenance/mods/repairs, and a third spreadsheet for planned/scheduled jobs. I stash receipts in a box in the garage. Pretty easy.

Excel/google drive sheets.

1594402441945.png

Excel/google drive sheets.

View attachment 2367315
I made up something similar- with the exception of leaving off "Running Cost". I totaled all my parts and upgrade purchases one time and nearly threw up. I stopped counting.

If doing DIY maintenance; its also helpful to have a "notes/remarks" column with any details of the repair outcomes, problems, solutions, work arounds, data readings like DTC's, P-codes, torque values, etc.

I use google sheets so I can access it anywhere (with cell service at least). I also have FSMs saved in the same google drive folder for access on the road if I need them.

future dates/mileage go out to the right as I do services. I also keep a list of upgrades/non-maintenance items along with part numbers (still working on adding a bunch). I save all the online order confirmations as PDFs in a folder. I’ve referenced them many times to help out other mud members.

I have a thick folder from the PO (back to new) and my own paper receipts— haven’t done anything with those.

05099FCB-5CB2-4223-B42D-A0AE9172592A.jpeg
0E701EB0-DE71-4029-B036-EB1B2C4F1124.jpeg

this is probably overkill but I prefer to be able to do a brain dump to free up memory 😂 and avoid frustration when I inevitably forget something.

It also keeps track of the intervals so I can easily calculate when it’s due next—then when I do the work I update it to actual and calculate the next target.

Last edited:
I have a pad of engineering paper in a 3-ring binder. That allows me to keep all my service invoices from mechanics, oil analysis reports from Blackstone, and any other information for parts that I order. It also allows me to write in details like hub-to-fender measurements and how much they change over time as the suspension settles

I keep track of everything in an Excel spreadsheet AND also manually enter everything into Toyota's Service History records: Logged Out My Vehicle Page | Toyota Owners
If you ever plan to sell your rig, keeping all records in the Toyota's database may be invaluable.

I use the Fuelly App on my iPhone to track everything... Have done since I had my 60.. Tracks both fuel and service, pretty easy to use and has the ability to do a "subscription" that will give you extra functionality like, multiple backups, photo receipts attached to service, etc.

When I sold my 60, I was able to export all the records associated with it (you name vehicles and create a profile) and send to the new owner so they could see everything I did. Then having a build thread here to correspond was great.
Out of curiosity downloaded app and I like it a lot! Paid version is very reasonable. Storing all expenses and receipts is a big plus

I'm finally going to pick up my cruiser next week and I'm curious to know what y'all use to keep track of maintenance, modifications, repairs, fuel mileage, etc. I've used this book in the past and it's been ok but I assume there has to a better (more modern) way of doing so. I will be doing almost all maintenance and repairs myself and I plan on keeping this one forever so proper record keeping is paramount. Apologies if this has been covered before, I searched but perhaps I didn't use the correct key words(?).
If you have a Gmail account use google drive's spreadsheet feature. Super easy to save various docs in as well.

Reactions: GTV
Made a simple excel sheet with high level items called out in first column such as the below, then column over lists applicable interval i am comfortable from research on forums. Next column is last time it was completed month, year, mileage. Then all I gotta do is look at my odo and see what is next in line.

Timing belt
spark plugs
oil changes
cabin filter
air filter
differential oils
transmission oil
brake fluid
power steering fluid
ahc fluid
radiator fluid
brakes
rotors
Throttle body cleaning
fuel filter
Zerks
ac refrigerant r&r
heater hose t

plus a few more I'm forgetting.

I’ve used the super sophisticated system of various pieces of paper as a log book. From my first entry back on 1/10/04 to my last oil change in April, my rig’s complete history is at my fingertips in the glove box. It’s crazy how much I overpaid for services in the first year or two of ownership before I learned how to do everything on this truck. My cruiser portfolio has become a comfortable old paperback full of memories.
D90E6E9D-8128-4A64-9CF8-7EF10A1B93C5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom