USB charging ports... simple question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am almost embarrassed to ask this question.... but!!

I am interested in putting a few power outlets in the truck to charge cell phones, lap tops, iPads, ect.. I have a 12v style cigarette outlet from Bluesea that i installed some time ago in the rear of the truck for my fridge. The fridge had a 12V plug or a regular 110 outlet plug so i figured it was internally ready for a 12V outlet so that's what i used.

Now my question is regarding a USB style charging port. If i install one, hard wire it to the blue sea fuse block at the battery and then onto the battery for constant power, do i need a power inverter somewhere in line so when i plug the iPad up it doesn't try to cook it? Or do the USB charging plugs do this automatically?

I've been down that road. If you're talking about the type that plug into the cig lighter port, they're build in. Most that are a straight USB plug I've seen have had an adaptor inline with the wiring. Like this: Hardwired USB Port

I am almost embarrassed to ask this question.... but!

Now my question is regarding a USB style charging port. If i install one, hard wire it to the blue sea fuse block at the battery and then onto the battery for constant power, do i need a power inverter somewhere in line so when i plug the iPad up it doesn't try to cook it? Or do the USB charging plugs do this automatically?

Interesting question. I'd always assumed the plug, not the receptacle, controlled volts/amps. I know if I use a cheap generic plug/cord for my iPhone in a normal wall receptacle it goes crazy if I try to use it plugged in. With a 'real' iPhone cord/plug I have no problem using while plugged in. I'll be adding a USB w/my dual battery install so I'll be watching this! Also, I bought this:
http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=144
It has a USB receptacle as well as 2 110v plugs. Got it for $28 delivered brand new!!!!

Is that 360 panel a new product? Can't seem to see an actual picture of one, only a CAD.

Here are some USB Port's that I just added.. As Jon said ~ 12V +/- from your Blue Sea and they are good to go.

E4120D77-7F48-42E9-A717-79C829FD14CE_zpsbvqcaqtg.jpg

A4836217-4BDF-4DD3-80D2-89E74B356029_zpswzpu7iuv.jpg

B0DBBC6F-AF99-48CF-AD82-1DE09DD6AB81_zpspxzx2vn2.jpg

59A6109C-2DD4-4592-9442-A3A5B8A5BD0A_zpssvyaau0v.jpg

Went down this road when the dual USB became available. If you are using an iPad you may find this interesting.

Copy & pasted from another forum -

I'm Checking on the iPad question. 2.1A is the total output for the plug not the individual sockets, If you only use one socket the output is 2.1A. According to Blue Sea "the 1016 talks to Apple products and according to their protocol, will limit the output to 1.0A for that socket." I'll post up once I get a definite response on if it will charge 2 iPads.

My response -
True ^ when using a iPad (Apple products) Blue Sea inputs a recognition code and limits the output to the iPad (Apple products) to 1A. If will charge the iPad fully but it will require more time due to limit of 1A. Any products other then Apple products can get the full 2.1A for a single plug but the device is still limited to a max output of 2.1A.

My source was Blue Sea engineering dept.

Went down this road when the dual USB became available. If you are using an iPad you may find this interesting.

Copy & pasted from another forum -

I'm Checking on the iPad question. 2.1A is the total output for the plug not the individual sockets, If you only use one socket the output is 2.1A. According to Blue Sea "the 1016 talks to Apple products and according to their protocol, will limit the output to 1.0A for that socket." I'll post up once I get a definite response on if it will charge 2 iPads.

My response -
True ^ when using a iPad (Apple products) Blue Sea inputs a recognition code and limits the output to the iPad (Apple products) to 1A. If will charge the iPad fully but it will require more time due to limit of 1A. Any products other then Apple products can get the full 2.1A for a single plug but the device is still limited to a max output of 2.1A.

My source was Blue Sea engineering dept.
Interesting and very handy to know. Eventually I will going down this road.

Here are some USB Port's that I just added.. As Jon said ~ 12V +/- from your Blue Sea and they are good to go.
I think you went overboard!!!! J/K. Looks great. Can't wait to get my install going.

Phil as always thanks for the info! I assume that's probably a good thing as i think a lot of the thin apple products are using lipo batteries now. They are very specific on how they like to be charged and they do not like being over-charged. Slow and steady wins the race with those batteries.

I think you went overboard!!!! J/K. Looks great. Can't wait to get my install going.

I agree, but don't we always - When I thought about it between me and my two girls excluding the wife who keeps out of the LC we have 3 ipads and 2 iphones.

While I hate to admit it, technology surrounds us every day and almost all of it charges off usb....

My white truck has dual USB ports in all 3 passenger door ashtrays, one that runs up to the windshield where I mount my phone, another dual USB in the rear cargo area. No such thing as too much with a carload of teens for a weekend. Only the cargo area is hot all the time for fridge and phone charging when I'm sleeping in the back. The rest are all off the ACC position.

The Blue Sea is only 2.1 amps, but it's fine for most devices. I haven't been able to find hardwired ports with higher output. There are 12v plugs with dual USB that are double the output like:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D82O68Y/?tag=ihco-20

I want to add USB power up by the rear view mirror somewhere. I use a dash cam that I mount up there and hate the cord hanging down.

My first thought is to mount one in the back of the center upper light console. I started looking for a usb power adapter that is not very deep, as I can't imagine there is much space in there. I can't find much out there, until I realized that the little adapters they make to go into lighters are not very long. My thought is so cut off the spring loaded end, solder on connections, drill a hole in the console (assuming it will fit) and then use some 2 part epoxy to hold it. Anyone have a better thought or know of a usb adapter that is not very deep?

Universal-Bullet-Dual-font-b-USB-b-font-2-Port-Mini-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Charger.jpg

I installed this in my dash - it fits our switch blanks. The LED is a little bright so I painted over it. Still can see it though but very manageable for night driving

Kussmaul Electronics USB Dual Ports

091-219.jpg

I want to add USB power up by the rear view mirror somewhere. I use a dash cam that I mount up there and hate the cord hanging down.

My first thought is to mount one in the back of the center upper light console. I started looking for a usb power adapter that is not very deep, as I can't imagine there is much space in there. I can't find much out there, until I realized that the little adapters they make to go into lighters are not very long. My thought is so cut off the spring loaded end, solder on connections, drill a hole in the console (assuming it will fit) and then use some 2 part epoxy to hold it. Anyone have a better thought or know of a usb adapter that is not very deep?

View attachment 1314739

You could try using a USB extension cord, much like I did for my stereo input, only install the end of it in the light console instead of a switch blank. The end of most USB extension cords are pretty slim, & a long enough cord would allow you to have the other end plug into a USB power receptacle mounted behind the dash, or in the glove compartment.

there is no size it just fits

upload_2016-8-31_15-51-18.png

I also bought their outdoor air temp gauge and it has a green readout similar in colour to our dash backlights. You can get in Fahrenheit and Celsius
upload_2016-8-31_15-51-32.png

Last edited:
what size fits the blanks? I don't see any place to order on that site.

They have a dealer map on their site but I have sometimes seen them on amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom