Unobtainium (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Racer65 or anyone else with the inner shift boot. Could someone give me an idea as to how far below the plane of the transmission tunnel this boot sits? I'd like to run the boot to further seal up my interior, but my transfer case shift has a dog-leg in it to accomodate my V8 conversion. I'm not sure if this boot would seat, or if the dog-leg would conflict.

Which inner boot are you talking about? Do not believe the three speed had one. Four speed used one. Early to 9/82 and the 9
10/82+. The 81/82 60 series used a flat rubber piece. 83-4/85 not sure what it had. Then 4/85+ used a different inner boot. Being this is the 40/55 section your talking four speed with the pre 10/82 being most common?

First mock-up of a late model FJ40 choke cable. It's based on the '81 / '82 version. Question for the cable experts: What years would be interchangeable with this cable? I'm guessing '76 to '83? or does it go back to '74?

View attachment 1706258

Nice, I need this for my 81

Which inner boot are you talking about? Do not believe the three speed had one. Four speed used one. Early to 9/82 and the 9
10/82+. The 81/82 60 series used a flat rubber piece. 83-4/85 not sure what it had. Then 4/85+ used a different inner boot. Being this is the 40/55 section your talking four speed with the pre 10/82 being most common?

Correct - I believe what I need is the inner boot repro that @Racer65 is selling for a stock 1975 FJ40 4-speed transmission tunnel.

From his site:

E4B4F52C-C8FC-45E2-AB96-77B7EC17B5E4.jpeg

03B5E650-109F-4F50-943C-6206F9A9BE5A.jpeg

I’m just trying to figure out how far below the transmission tunnel it hangs - I suspect the answer is “too low” but if it fits I’d like to run it.

A few months ago a few of us discussed in a small PM group on the need for early ('63 to '67?) defrost hoses. Since there exists suitable substitutes for the duct (e.g. Dayco), we focused attention on the elbow. After one of the guys supplied a sample, a project got started to reproduce this piece. Turns out this little elbow hose is pretty complicated, with moulded features inside and out. After a few tries, we got it done. A small batch is going into production. We plan to make it available in a month or so.

90 Degree-2.jpg
90 Degree-3.jpg
90 Degree-4.jpg

A few months ago a few of us discussed in a small PM group on the need for early ('63 to '67?) defrost hoses. Since there exists suitable substitutes for the duct (e.g. Dayco), we focused attention on the elbow. After one of the guys supplied a sample, a project got started to reproduce this piece. Turns out this little elbow hose is pretty complicated, with moulded features inside and out. After a few tries, we got it done. A small batch is going into production. We plan to make it available in a month or so.

View attachment 1748616 View attachment 1748617 View attachment 1748618

Count me in, Roger!!!

Sweet Jesus hallelujah! I'm in for a set!

This would impress Marv Specter if he were still here.

I remember walking through the warehouse with him about 10 years ago talking about unobtanium and he mentioned these early elbows. He stopped dead in his tracks when i told him I had a set.

I sold mine to a forum member at least five years ago.

I was wondering if you were in the market with contacts to reproduce these. SOR had them and all of a sudden , discontinued.

FJ40 seat catch.PNG

Charcoal cannisters would be great for like ‘75 and later.......just sayin!

I was wondering if you were in the market with contacts to reproduce these. SOR had them and all of a sudden , discontinued.

View attachment 1750236

Wonder if there were some that @JDCruiser made? They are the earlier style that are solid. I send him dimensions and pictures at one time. Very well may have been from my earlier seat which was solid. SOR has been know in the past of doing a one time purchase being what was left of a reproduced product.

Correct - I believe what I need is the inner boot repro that @Racer65 is selling for a stock 1975 FJ40 4-speed transmission tunnel.

From his site:

View attachment 1740624

View attachment 1740625

I’m just trying to figure out how far below the transmission tunnel it hangs - I suspect the answer is “too low” but if it fits I’d like to run it.

Hey all,

Just wanted to follow up on my own post as I talked through this with @Racer65, ordered the inner shift boot, and installed. The boot sits about 2 inches exactly below the plane of the transmission hump, so even with the typical V8 shifter dogleg, the inner boot was able to squeeze in with about 1/8" to spare.

Thanks for all the help @Racer65 - very nice quality, OEM look and feel. Very happy with everything I picked up, both OEM parts and reproductions. I'll definitely be back for more in the near future.

Wonder if there were some that @JDCruiser made? They are the earlier style that are solid. I send him dimensions and pictures at one time. Very well may have been from my earlier seat which was solid. SOR has been know in the past of doing a one time purchase being what was left of a reproduced product.

I had PMed JDCruiser about these; John I think you were the one who told me about that as I recall. He was going to look around his shop to see if he had some extras. For my 69', they were solid. I think the SOR version had a hollowed out handle. Since the handles tended to break easily, I would say that these seat pull back handles may be in the top 3 of hard to find parts at any price--way easier to find a Vader light but it will cost you $$$.

Looking into it. Not sure yet...

I hope you do. In my thinking , a machined one made of steel or aluminum, would outlast any plastic one. Either way, anything is better than nothing. I have two and both are missing an ear.

If the vac advancers could be bought from Toyota, it could be used to save a bunch of 75-80 USA dissys that either need swapped from retard to advance, or need a bad advancer replaced.

I just made the 19220-61102 vacuum advance for '81+ FJ40 and FJ60. Pretty sure it works for '79 to '80 as well. Does it help any of the pre '79 cars?

IMG_0192.jpg

View attachment 1750236

There is a market for sure because even for the 40s that still have them on, they are usually broken and most are missing them. I found 2 for my 40. I paid $45 for one of them and $400 for the other. Crazy I know but these are truly unobtanium for those who care enough to want an original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom