Unobtainium (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's not a replacement. This is an entirely different mat for '79 to '84 model years only.

Notice the mat will have no cutout for the parking brake lever, due to the need to satisfy by LHD and RHD variants. However, there will be dots on the mat to help guide the cutting, as is the case with OEM mats. Thanks to @Economist LC76 for the valuable tip.

View attachment 1702227

What about the 83/84 with a four speed which has different boots as well as a raised inspection cover? Then the five speed uses the same as the 83/84 but transfer is about a inch further back.

Last edited:
What about the 83/84 with a four speed which has different boots as well as a raised inspection cover? Then the five speed uses the samesame as the 83/84 but transfer is about a inch further back.

Thanks for bringing this up, because I'm not familiar with these variants. Would the boot differences in 83/84 make it impossible to fit the same mat?

Did the 5 speeds come with a different mat? Based on internet photos I cannot see the distinction. How far back is the 5 speed shifter as compared to the 4 speed? If the shifter holes are not pre-cut, would that solve the problem? or will it invade into the logo area? I notice the 5 speeds usually have a smaller logo.

The 5 speeds I've seen are usually in the LX models out of Australia, and the mat is brown. I will not be able to cater to that color, but I will try to satisfy other needs as much as possible.

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing this up, because I'm not familiar with these variants. Would the boot differences in 83/84 make it impossible to fit the same mat?

Did the 5 speeds come with a different mat? Based on internet photos I cannot see the distinction. How far back is the 5 speed shifter as compared to the 4 speed? If the shifter holes are not pre-cut, would that solve the problem? or will it invade into the logo area? I notice the 5 speeds usually have a smaller logo.

The 5 speeds I've seen are usually in the LX models out of Australia, and the mat is brown. I will not be able to cater to that color, but I will try to satisfy other needs as much as possible.

The five speed was quite common in all BJ42s after 10/83 (start of the 83 Model year), Canada received five speeds and those were not LX models that I know of. There are also FJ40s that had them. 83/84 believe the BJ46 had them as well but most those while not LX models the seen those with brown interiors. I was also thinking of those in the US that have or are planning a five speed in 79+ 4X series.

I have the inspection covers for the 79-82 and 83/84 four and five speed along with the boots. My guess is if the out line for the transfer case area was shaped to it was a little wider towards the back and leave the transfer uncut and outlined like the hand brake for the most common 79-82 four speed and then let those doing something else figure where it needs to be cut. Will check but think the later boot is a little larger and would require just trimming the transmission opening. So those cut be cut for 79-82. If someone does come out with a repo 40 series top cover for the H55F the five speed would probably rise in popularity. Those doing a five speed with a 60/70 series top cover would probably need to cut into the Toyota.

Curious if you know that the 83/84 five speed shift knobs were the same in the 40 series as those on the 60 series. The smaller knob that had the 10MM thread was never used on a five speed. I know some cut and welded a four speed cane onto the lower end of 60 series cane to keep the original look but Toyota did not make a five speed cane for the LC that was 10MM.

Yes but if you are investing thousands of dollars on a product and you do happen to get called out... Then what? :(

I suppose it is possible and then you would have to comply with the courts. I just feel Toyota is so big of a giant, that this would be insignificant. If it were a newer model, and larger volumes, maybe.

I suppose it is possible and then you would have to comply with the courts. I just feel Toyota is so big of a giant, that this would be insignificant. If it were a newer model, and larger volumes, maybe.

I have a ballpark number on what was spent on the floor mat project... Let's just say it was a lot - by far the biggest investment of his inventory of products. Probably more than most of us would like to risk. I still think that a glue on patch would've worked swimmingly with today's advanced adhesives. But it is what it is. I love mine, just like I said, I miss the Toyota on it. People who have the original mat usually cover up the foot area with another mat to protect the original anyhow... lol

I am a ways away but will this fit my H55F? It has the 40 top cover.

Sorry. I read the other posts about the H55F. I think the idea of having the outline would work the best. I would love a new mat but I ain't giving the 40 series H55F up.

The logo is nice but not a deal killer for me.

Will the cost be similar?

Last edited:
I have a ballpark number on what was spent on the floor mat project... Let's just say it was a lot - by far the biggest investment of his inventory of products. Probably more than most of us would like to risk. I still think that a glue on patch would've worked swimmingly with today's advanced adhesives. But it is what it is. I love mine, just like I said, I miss the Toyota on it. People who have the original mat usually cover up the foot area with another mat to protect the original anyhow... lol

You know what, if the risk vs. the reward is that fine line, why even risk it. Myself, I believe reproducing any product without a trademark is no issue. One thing is happening in FJ40 world is restored prices are HUGE, and an original mat is a must for the big bucks. Sadly, Toyota discontinued them. So, as with any antique deal, the mat value will go up. Now, as an aftermarket supplier, to completely reproduce things with trademark is a risk.
I do not own a Land cruiser that ever had a mat. Mine are to early. However, the mat as reproduced, (WITHOUT THE LOGO) , Is beautiful. Who cares about the LOGO except the top dollar restorers. My 2 cents.

I am a ways away but will this fit my H55F? It has the 40 top cover.

Sorry. I read the other posts about the H55F. I think the idea of having the outline would work the best. I would love a new mat but I ain't giving the 40 series H55F up.

The logo is nice but not a deal killer for me.

Will the cost be similar?
I thought the whole point of a 40 top cover is so that you can have the shifters in the original position? In that case the standard mat should fit without modification.

I thought the whole point of a 40 top cover is so that you can have the shifters in the original position? In that case the standard mat should fit without modification.

The transmission shift is in the original location. Just starting 10/82 the boot changed. The transfer case boot changed as well. With the five speed the pivot point for the transfer case shifter on the transmission case moved back to the area where the reverse gear is inside. Being further back made it harder to keep the shifter in the same location as the four speed. Believe it was late last year I posted pictures of all the different inspection covers for the 79+ 4x series. I can either find the pictures or take some more. Three years ago found out the 10/82 the inspection cover was different on the four speed. After that found out that the transfer case shifter was not in the same location as the late four speed but about a inch further back.

The transmission shift is in the original location. Just starting 10/82 the boot changed. The transfer case boot changed as well. With the five speed the pivot point for the transfer case shifter on the transmission case moved back to the area where the reverse gear is inside. Being further back made it harder to keep the shifter in the same location as the four speed. Believe it was late last year I posted pictures of all the different inspection covers for the 79+ 4x series. I can either find the pictures or take some more. Three years ago found out the 10/82 the inspection cover was different on the four speed. After that found out that the transfer case shifter was not in the same location as the late four speed but about a inch further back.

Please repost the photos if you can. Below is a file photo I've got. On left is a (somewhat banged up) 5 speed cover. On the right is a 4 speed cover. The holes are bigger for the 5 speed, but that doesn't necessarily present a problem, as you can enlarge the holes in the mat.

Picture1.jpg

I believe the elevated portion of the H55F transmission cover may cause issues with proper fit of the mat
The elevated portion is only 3/4" tall. You can see a video of the LX model with 5 speed shown below (now owned by the Toyota Heritage Museum). The floor mat can be clearly seen at the 8 minute mark:

Please repost the photos if you can. Below is a file photo I've got. On left is a (somewhat banged up) 5 speed cover. On the right is a 4 speed cover. The holes are bigger for the 5 speed, but that doesn't necessarily present a problem, as you can enlarge the holes in the mat.

View attachment 1702590

The two top white ones are left 1/79-9/82 and right 10/82+ five speed. Lower left is a 4/85-7/87 FJ60 and right 10/82+ four speed 4X series.

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2765.JPG
IMG_2766.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG
IMG_2769.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom