TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got most of everything back together last night but of course one of the nuts for the torsion bar bolts has gone into the witness protection program. So I'll have to get another now. Was hoping to get the 35s on and adjust the torsion bars and take it for an alignment.

Oh well one more week won't hurt.

Last edited:
...on of the nuts for the torsion bar bolts has gone into the witness protection program.
My vacuum sucked up a 14mm socket last week. Into one of those collection bags...yeah, I know what's in there, not doing that; new socket purchased the very next day.

New valve covers and gaskets ...

Just pulled the gas tank out of Bucky. Prognosis is not good. Anybody know a fab shop or an individual who would be willing to fab a new tank? The OE tanks are NLA and I don't really want to spend $1,800 on a 55 gallon aftermarket behemoth that hangs down below the frame rails. Those are all that are available for the 55 anymore. Every fab shop that I have spoken to says that they won't do gas tanks due to liability concerns. Sheesh!

IMG_2171[1].JPG
IMG_2172[1].JPG
IMG_2173[1].JPG

Just pulled the gas tank out of Bucky. Prognosis is not good. Anybody know a fab shop or an individual who would be willing to fab a new tank? The OE tanks are NLA and I don't really want to spend $1,800 on a 55 gallon aftermarket behemoth that hangs down below the frame rails. Those are all that are available for the 55 anymore. Every fab shop that I have spoken to says that they won't do gas tanks due to liability concerns. Sheesh!

View attachment 1926450View attachment 1926451View attachment 1926452

Man that sucks. I know of a few people that have had good success with the Por 15 gas tank sealer kit but that looks farther gone that I would want to try. Wonder if you could buy an aftermarket fuel cell and rework it a little. Maybe less liability concerns doing a little work to a fuel cell than fabbing up a while new tank for the shops. Sorry for not being of much help but it was just a thought.

Man that sucks. I know of a few people that have had good success with the Por 15 gas tank sealer kit but that looks farther gone that I would want to try. Wonder if you could buy an aftermarket fuel cell and rework it a little. Maybe less liability concerns doing a little work to a fuel cell than fabbing up a while new tank for the shops. Sorry for not being of much help but it was just a thought.
This tank was sealed once already. Receipts show it was done in 2000. All that crusty crud is the failed sealer that let loose. I'll look into a fuel cell some more, but I don't feel comfortable putting it inside the cabin and finding one off the shelf that has the filler in the right location will be tough. Sigh.....

Um

View attachment 1926450View attachment 1926451View attachment 1926452

Is there not another model with a gas tank that you could get fitted?

Um

Is there not another model with a gas tank that you could get fitted?
Kind-of but not really. What I need is a '68-'71 tank. There are three flavors of 55 tanks. Early (like mine), Mid ('72-'74) and late ('75-on). They all have different mounts and plumbing configurations. I don't mind the plumbing, but my tank mounts to the underside of the body. The mid and late tanks mount to the frame. Drilling mounting holes in the top of the frame rail with only a couple inches of clearance is one of several issues with fitting a later tank into an earlier 55. I may have to go that route though. We will see.

Dave, I have a 60 tank if that can be made to work. @roadstr6

I wish there were more fuel tank options. I am in the back and forth with Toyota for mine right now.

55 tanks are odd dimensions.

@Keep i ‘think’ has a rear mount extra capacity tank for sale made for a 55 but may be missing some braketry i trust you can fab. Perhaps run it as a primary/solo tank ?

Dangit. Deleted quote. @roadstr6 ^^^

The Cruiser has never left me stranded until Sunday night. Coming back from a friend's house, I rounded the corner and the truck died immediately. I've read of it happening to others but didn't expect it to happen to me. It would crank fine but no fire. I was only a 1/4 mile from home so I walked to the house and had Shannon call AAA. They arrived, strapped it to the flatbed, and brought it to the house. I immediately jumped online to try and diagnose the problem. EFI relay and fuel pump relay kept popping up in the results so I ordered both.

EFI relay arrived today and the fuel pump relay arrives tomorrow. My original relay looked to be in pretty good condition and tested good. I popped the new one in anyways. Same issue, strong crank but no fire. However, while working on the truck I heard both the horn relay activating and the doors would unlock mysteriously. I've always had issues with the aftermarket alarm activating the horn everytime the battery dies. I've never had the doors unlock trigger remotely (without a key or pressing a button).

Now I'm less inclined to think it's a relay but rather an alarm or computer issue. I've pulled the alarm from the Cruiser but need to undo the cabling mess. I'm not sure what is aftermarket and what is OEM.

Sucks Jon. Aftermarket alarms are the worst.

I pulled one out of tim's 60 and one out of mike's 80. They seem to tie into the column harness. I usually start at the "brain box" and trace wires back to where they came from. Usually the ignition power or start wire is hijacked into the brainbox, which needs to be reconnected.

Frustrating, but it's not too bad if you use the above method.

Ok. I got the tank al buttoned up on my 82 first gen.
Well for some reason I’m not getting any fuel from the tank to the fuel filter.
I figured I might of mixed the two fuel lines when I connected everything up so I switched them around and as well as the ones at the filter and still no fuel coming from the tank to the fuel filter right before the carb.

Another thing that I can try is to replace the mechanical fuel pump?

I figured it be a simple thing. Change out the tank and connect everything back the way it was. Just with a new tank. Well it didn’t work out that way and I’m kind of stumped now.

should I replace the fuel canister? I don’t think this would be the issue since it wasn’t a problem before but I could be wrong.

Any ideas or something obvious that I’m missing here?

2EC312CA-4335-4F4F-842C-7761B52837DD.jpeg

Thanks to the advise from Jonathan I bought and replaced the old carb on the go kart. Pretty easy swap. But I guess it’s not my day today. Have to replace the ignition switch now.

Tomorrow I will be replacing the drive belt on my riding lawnmower. Can’t wait to see what goes wrong with that. Haha

I got the Cruiser fixed and then I didn't. I spent all day Saturday working on the Cruiser. I removed the alarm system, replaced the fuel pump relay, and cleaned up all my wiring from my previous lighting projects. I also cleaned the grounds for my lights. Upon testing, I got nothing. I had a checklist going and fusible links was next. I read online that fusible links can go at any time and sometimes do not present visible burning. I had a spare so I installed it. The Cruiser fired right up and I was ecstatic. I buttoned up all the dash panels and put all the tools away. We were heading out to dinner and I wanted to drive the Cruiser. It started up again perfectly. I pulled out of the driveway and drove about 50 yards down the road to make a right hand turn. As soon as I was in the apex of the turn, the Cruiser died just like before.

I am going to check the old fusible link and the now new busted fusible link. I have a suspicion that the AM2 (gray connector) is the culprit. I need to figure out what hangs off that section of the wire and find a way of tracing it down. I also have a feeling that the steering is somehow tied to the short.

I had a buddy pull the Cruiser back down the road to park it in front of the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom