TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cleaned up the original glass bowl from the fuel filter (had a bunch of old gas and crud staining) then combined it with a new oem filter. Bolted the mount arm and connected the ‘cleaned’ up original fuel lines. Crazy these were clear when new!

33408685408_a04c028cfa_z.jpg

46561060724_3f1ce77a19_z.jpg

Cleaned up the original glass bowl from the fuel filter (had a bunch of old gas and crud staining) then combined it with a new oem filter. Bolted the mount arm and connected the ‘cleaned’ up original fuel lines. Crazy these were clear when new!

33408685408_a04c028cfa_z.jpg

46561060724_3f1ce77a19_z.jpg
Jon, you do such beautiful work. My hat's off to you!

you always make it look like art.

I spent a few hours this weekend while it was not raining trying to install the new gas tank on my hilux. Installed and dropped it a bunch of times each time modifying something else to make it fit right.
It was a pain in the butt but I am almost done with it. It will be worth the trouble having larger capacity and a brand new tank.

I spent a few hours this weekend while it was not raining trying to install the new gas tank on my hilux. Installed and dropped it a bunch of times each time modifying something else to make it fit right.
It was a pain in the butt but I am almost done with it. It will be worth the trouble having larger capacity and a brand new tank.

What tank did you put in?

I think that's what I need. The oil seal behind (or in front of, depending on vantage point) the flange.
I think everything else with the front diff is good. Just leaking there. Was thinking I could pull the flange and replace just the seal, without having to replace the bearing and other parts.

View attachment 1919486
I fixed my pinion leak by replacing the diff breather. Previously my pinion weeped enought to leave a few drops on the driveway. Once the breather was replaced with a lawnmower fuel filter, the leak went away.

I fixed my pinion leak by replacing the diff breather. Previously my pinion weeped enought to leave a few drops on the driveway. Once the breather was replaced with a lawnmower fuel filter, the leak went away.

I did the same a few months back. A recent knuckle rebuild started leaking. Pulling the breather it stopped showing up on the floor that or the oils gone now I need to check thinking about it now. Glad I tried the simple thing first. Just need to get a new breathers ordered.

I didn't turn any wrenches today, but I did call the dealer to check on recalls today. Turns out that my FJ62 is still eligible for the gas tank replacement, so technically they will be turning the wrenches. Ha!
Just a heads-up. The 62 tanks were discontinued in 2013 or 2014 and are NLA. FJ60 tanks are still available. A 60 tank can be modified to work but the stealership isn't interested in doing that as part of the recall. Toyota has had to buy trucks back because they couldn't make good on the recall. They'll offer you pennies on the dollar. You might want to look into an aftermarket solution if your tank is no good. I don't want to be a downer but I'd just hate to see you spend a lot of time and effort struggling with dealership ineptitude only to find out it is not going to work out. Lots of threads about this in the 60 forum. Good luck in your endeavor.

Last edited:
Just a heads-up. The 62 tanks were discontinued in 2013 or 2014 and are NLA. FJ60 tanks are still available. A 60 tank can be modified to work but the stealership isn't interested in doing that as part of the recall. Toyota has had to buy trucks back because they couldn't make good on the recall. They'll offer you pennies on the dollar. You might want to look into an aftermarket solution if your tank is no good. I don't want to be a downer but I'd just hate to see you spend a lot of time and effort struggling with dealership ineptitude only to find out it is not going to work out. Lots of threads about this in the 60 forum. Good luck in your endeavor.

I appreciate it. I thought it was odd that they checked and set up the appointment right way. They did just call me though and say that Toyota said the recall was discontinued, but they are going to try to track down the parts. I am not holding my breath. I would be okay with a buyback if it’s not a low ball. The other side of me doesn’t want to see such a good condition 62 go to the crusher either. We will see.

What tank did you put in?

They don't make new gas tanks for my year truck. At least no where I could find. When I dropped mine itried to salvage it but it was real bad and once I started prepping it for recoating the inside I noticed small pin holes. def not worth salvaging.

The closest, size and shape I found was for a second gen long bed 4x4( it is a 19 gallon tank, compared to the stock 14 gallon tank). It is taller but the overall dimensions make it almost fit.
I had to modify a cross bar on the bed floor and elongate the bolt holes on the tank. the protection plate will have to be cut and I have to add about 2 inches to it which should be rather easy to do.

The hoses had to be longer due to routing but I had to replace the old stuff anyway.

The filler neck hose has given me the most problem because they don't make the hose for my year truck. I'm taking the old one cutting it and sleaving it to make it long enough to be able to bolt it to the bed. I did the same to the breather hose.
It should work perfectly fine after this. Hopefully

They don't make new gas tanks for my year truck. At least no where I could find. When I dropped mine itried to salvage it but it was real bad and once I started prepping it for recoating the inside I noticed small pin holes. def not worth salvaging.

The closest, size and shape I found was for a second gen long bed 4x4( it is a 19 gallon tank, compared to the stock 14 gallon tank). It is taller but the overall dimensions make it almost fit.
I had to modify a cross bar on the bed floor and elongate the bolt holes on the tank. the protection plate will have to be cut and I have to add about 2 inches to it which should be rather easy to do.

The hoses had to be longer due to routing but I had to replace the old stuff anyway.

The filler neck hose has given me the most problem because they don't make the hose for my year truck. I'm taking the old one cutting it and sleaving it to make it long enough to be able to bolt it to the bed. I did the same to the breather hose.
It should work perfectly fine after this. Hopefully

Dang...that sounds like a potential PITA.

My driver side power mirror was Frankensteined together with silicone and when I took it a part it had all kinds of crazy things going on. So, I did what anyone else would do and duct taped the glass back on. I found a used one on EBay for $38 shipped that everything worked, but the chrome housing was loose. I had hoped it may be as simple as a screw, but when it arrived today I wasn’t so lucky. The minute we’re busted on the inside, which is a shame because the housing was clean. I took both mirrors apart, took the working pieces from both and Boom! I now have a functioning power mirror for a fraction of the cost of any others out there. Pretty happy with the end result.

First, I want to apologize for not being really active on the board. I am looking forward to meeting you all. I wanted to wait to go to a meet up until I can actually drive a land cruiser there.
This past weekend was a huge step forward for me as my 67 moved under its own power for the first time in 10 years. Frame swap, relocation from VT, 8 years of neglect. It was really funny as it felt like vehicle Russian roulette a bit. (pushes in clutch...well, lets see what happens.....puts in reverse..well, let's see what happens)
Still needs some wiring and some brake bleeding, but it is almost ready to take it out for a test toast.

Dang...that sounds like a potential PITA.

Not really. Def worth the effort to be able to have a new tank instead of trying to salvage the old piece of crap tank.

The only real PITA is the fact that In my infinite wisdom I decided to park the truck in the middle of the backyard then drop the tank.
With the rain my back yard is pretty soggy so working on the tank under the truck has Been limited. Also, every time I need a different tool when I do get a chance to work on it, I have to walk to the other side of the lot to get it from the garage.

And of course there is the issue of the truck being immobile and it is in the way of moving my trailers, clearing brush, or moving the wood for the fence I have been slowly putting up.

So yeah. There’s that.

First, I want to apologize for not being really active on the board. I am looking forward to meeting you all. I wanted to wait to go to a meet up until I can actually drive a land cruiser there.
This past weekend was a huge step forward for me as my 67 moved under its own power for the first time in 10 years. Frame swap, relocation from VT, 8 years of neglect. It was really funny as it felt like vehicle Russian roulette a bit. (pushes in clutch...well, lets see what happens.....puts in reverse..well, let's see what happens)
Still needs some wiring and some brake bleeding, but it is almost ready to take it out for a test toast.
View attachment 1921387
Still looks great

A perfect mirror image. :lol:
One on the right is what the control arm should look like. One on the left is what mine looks like.

20190309_145050.jpg

20190309_145045.jpg

20190309_145037.jpg

Did you go airborne - Evil Knievel style?

Did you go airborne - Evil Knievel style?

It's been sitting like this since summer while my shoulder was rehabbing all my "heavy" lifting was put towards the celica.... even that hurt.

I did get a little air at the beach but it drove find after that.... tire blew out on Andrea back in august during a down pour at midnight.... I'm guessing there was something in the road that she didn't see or a huge pothole. Only damage was the arm and one of the dubs.

It will have 315s on stock wheels as soon as I button it back up tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom