TwinTurbo V6 swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If we get enough pre-orders, could we convince Toyota to sell the V35A-FTS 3.5L twinturbo that is going into the 300 series as a crate motor in the USA, so we can swap it into our 80 series trucks? After all, they admitted the 80 was the starting point for the 300 platform, and it's nice to see them going back to a 6 cylinder for the first time since 1997....

Who's going to write to Mr Uchiyamada and propose this idea?

tenor (2).gif

Not a chance in hell

May as well aske them for a cheap 300 body - could do body swaps too then aye !

Hmm a lot of things out of the ordinary for Toyota in this engine. Open deck design, almost all Toyota turbos have been closed deck. Longer stroke smaller bore which is odd since usually they want larger bore for bigger valves. Rocker arms for valve actuation. Just some interesting changes from their normal design choices.

No thank you.
Now the V12 1GZ-FE out of the Century, that's worth doing.
300HP, 400FT# torque, at low RPM...Not enough extra power to start breaking things, but enough to make the fat girl dance.
And dead smooth.

Hmm a lot of things out of the ordinary for Toyota in this engine. Open deck design, almost all Toyota turbos have been closed deck. Longer stroke smaller bore which is odd since usually they want larger bore for bigger valves. Rocker arms for valve actuation. Just some interesting changes from their normal design choices.
I haven't looked into this motor's specs whatsoever. Yeah, that's definitely a departure from Toyota norms. Then again, the Supra is a BMW, and the 86 a Subaru so nothing would surprise me AT ALL. Maybe they collaborated with Opal or Fiat making this engine😂

I haven't looked into this motor's specs whatsoever. Yeah, that's definitely a departure from Toyota norms. Then again, the Supra is a BMW, and the 86 a Subaru so nothing would surprise me AT ALL. Maybe they collaborated with Opal or Fiat making this engine😂
Yeah the open deck really surprised me. And no rebuilding this engine it’s got spray in cylinder liners. Gone are the days of the 300,000km rebuild intervals it’s a use and toss motor.

1980: It's over.
1991: It's over.
1998: It's over
2008: It's over.
2022: It's over.
For some people it’s true. I am sure there are many people that have the means to drive the latest and greatest but they stick with what feels best to them. For me that’s 97 for Land Cruisers and 06 for LS’s…. Everyone will have their own threshold.

For some people it’s true. I am sure there are many people that have the means to drive the latest and greatest but they stick with what feels best to them. For me that’s 97 for Land Cruisers and 06 for LS’s…. Everyone will have their own threshold.
Its just absolutely hilarious to me the reaction is the exact same with every new generation, but in some sense I do agree. While I respect the 200 and totally understand the appeal of the new 300, I have no real interest in owning anything passed the 80 series either. The 80 is a fully evolved land cruiser, imo everything after it is something different entirely, but still cool.

Why wait around for Toyota?? - Sounds to me like you just need to run a fully modern 1fz.... bored to 4.6 oem oversized pistons....a nice sequential turbo setup and a Haltec to "run it like you mean it". Probably would be alot cheaper than some modern toyota/ Lezbaru comingled junk. Lets face it - if a 2jz can make a reliable 600-700hp on the 3liter stock motor.......the 1fz should make for a 200k + mile motor @ 375-400hp.

And if you dont mind venturing further from stock.......a 5.7 from a 200 would be the next easiest path for your 80.

And im sure someone has already hit up SLEE to do an SAS 200......which will effectively have most of the 80 forum hitting the "sell" button.

Last edited:
Why wait around for Toyota?? - Sounds to me like you just need to run a fully modern 1fz.... bored to 4.6 oem oversized pistons....a nice sequential turbo setup and a Haltec to "run it like you mean it". Probably would be alot cheaper than some modern toyota/ Lezbaru comingled junk. Lets face it - if a 2jz can make a reliable 600-700hp on the 3liter stock motor.......the 1fz should make for a 200k + mile motor @ 375-400hp.

And if you dont mind venturing further from stock.......a 5.7 from a 200 would be the next easiest path for your 80.

And im sure someone has already hit up SLEE to do an SAS 200......which will effectively have most of the 80 forum hitting the "sell" button.
I was in the 200 section yesterday just reading and there is a lady with a 5.7 that had the motor lock up at 58k miles because of broken valve spring. Toyota refused to help her out with replacement, even though there was 140,000 Toyota V8's recalled for valve springs and the Land Cruiser and LX570 were not included in the recall.

Idk whether or not this takes the thread off topic or not, (actually it will😆) but the 1VD-FTV in the 200 we got here in aus changed the big 4x4 SUV game here massively. As of the last year the landcruiser is the fourth most sold vehicle here. It is my opinion that the 100 series is like its in no man's land. As far as swapping in the v6 twin turbo, Toyota doesn't give a sh1t about what me and you think, they make something that they reckon me and you are most likely to buy. Ay the end of the day toyota is just here to make themselves more profit like any other company. Toyota is not ever going to bring a diesel to the United States, let alone care about making it a possibility to import.

I was in the 200 section yesterday just reading and there is a lady

Not sure id admit to hanging out in the 200 section 😁 in public....

so basically- you are saying 200 owners should yank out their valve springs and swap in some titanium ones to spin this motor to 9000rpms !!! This motor with ti springs and some mild boost should be making a reliable 550hp ????

so basically- you are saying 200 owners should yank out their valve springs and swap in some titanium ones to spin this motor to 9000rpms !!! This motor with ti springs and some mild boost should be making a reliable 550hp ????
Yeah if I had a 200 I would preemptively replace the valve springs it’s cheap insurance.

😂. That’s exactly what I got out of his post. Definitely not a cautionary post, for sure saying to replace stock components and exceed Toyota’s parameters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom