TurboClunker (a.k.a. cheap-ass slaps a turbo on his LX) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I guess technically it's 5518' elevation :eek:

Good job with starting a baseline dyno chart. I'm dying to see the delta numbers!!

Great to see someone else with a Get-er' done attitude. Looking forward to the results.

Awesome thread, will be following along. Don't worry about the baseline, it's all about the increase.

Cool someone is doing it for all the speculative talk that has gone around ( @scottryana was my bet, for as much coaching as he's either been giving / owns stock in a HG company / Devil's advocated ) haha!

Cool to see, neat you're going as far as a baseline HP pull & all!

LINUS said:

I used to read a lot of Sport Compact Car magazine when I was in my 20's... the dyno documentation regimen is ingrained in me :eek:

I would love to come and see this when its done or even during the build. I've been wanting to do the same thing.

I'm anxious to see the turbo vs. SC power increase. I'm much more of a turbo guy than a SC guy so this is really cool to me! Thanks for taking 1 for the team.

Haha I would have done it just to prove a point, but unfortunately I am just a poor broke college student now days. But I feel like I have proven a point with my current turbo setup. Over 25k miles, at more than twice the stock horsepower and torque, on an OEM head gasket, OEM head bolts, and a stock not rebuilt 170k mile bottom end. It will be good to have someone roughly follow along with the plan that I said would work just so that it shows I am right though. :flipoff2: lol.

Cool someone is doing it for all the speculative talk that has gone around ( @scottryana was my bet, for as much coaching as he's either been giving / owns stock in a HG company / Devil's advocated ) haha!

I'm anxious to see the turbo vs. SC power increase. I'm much more of a turbo guy than a SC guy so this is really cool to me! Thanks for taking 1 for the team.
I'm not expecting anything mind blowing. If it's roughly on par with the SC, I'll be happy. That would be about 155-160hp on this same dyno (30%). If I could buy the SC for $1700, I would have probably gone that route, but 1) I'm cheap and 2) after reading the full PDF installation instructions for the TRD SC, I'm pretty sure the turbo will be less work to install *knocks on wood* 3) turbo is easier to tinker with (in my mind, might not actually be true) if I want to make a little more power down the road.

I'm not expecting anything mind blowing. If it's roughly on par with the SC, I'll be happy. That would be about 155-160hp on this same dyno (30%). If I could buy the SC for $1700, I would have probably gone that route, but 1) I'm cheap and 2) after reading the full PDF installation instructions for the TRD SC, I'm pretty sure the turbo will be less work to install *knocks on wood* 3) turbo is easier to tinker with (in my mind, might not actually be true) if I want to make a little more power down the road.

Thats a great attitude, leaves nothing but a positive outcome. I'm looking forward to your completed project and wish you the best In all of Its twists and turns..! Good Luck ! :)

Also in Westy, would love to see this thing either in progress or when it's done. I-70 and my little camper don't mix, and most every other car I own is boosted except the FZJ.

The box from Treadstone just came in this morning. Obvious problems off the bat: they gave me 17" of oil supply line, I ordered 48". It is also really poorly cut (doesn't matter since I won't be using it anyway, but in case anyone from Treadstone is paying attention). Also the shape of the manifold will interfere with the compressor housing outlet if pointed any direction other than up (straight up or passenger/driver by about 45 degrees). This is fine for now, as it should point up for my non-intercooled "stage 1" however it will make for an interesting game of tetris trying to fit intercooler piping into the same space as intake piping during "stage 2." Or I could just go the methanol route :meh:

The Treadstone casting is really rough, but I have read that from other people's projects, so it was about what I was expecting. On the plus side, the manifold comes with 4 threaded holes on top, so I can make a heat shield for this puppy :)

Other noodle scratcher: the exhaust dump is 3.5" and I need to taper it down to stock exhaust size in the space of about 2 feet while still incorporating a couple bends into the downpipe. I'll save that problem for later :eek:

Obligatory pile-o-parts photo:
20160317_111014[1].jpg

Last edited:
I would do a concentric reducer from 3.5" to 3" out of the turbo. Make your downpipe 3" and then use another concentric reducer from 3" to 2.5" to connect to your stock exhaust. You want your downpipe to flow as much as possible right after the turbo. Once the exhaust gases have cooled a little the smaller size is less of a restriction than immediately after the turbo.

As for your compressor housing you might have to cut the outlet and weld an el onto the compressor housing and point it where you want it. I had to do that on mine to get the outlet where I wanted it to be.

image-1698180448-jpg.771573

image-4183037254-jpg.773501

not sure where you're at in colorado but Tubes N Hoses in Loveland was very helpful with oil lines and charge pipe when I was turboing my honda.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ryan. I think it will be OK for now, I'll just point it upwards and bend towards the TB. I have plenty of time to think about intercooler routing later :eek:

Upon further head-scratching, I think I may abandon the plan to keep the stock airbox. The little arm that reaches out to the MAF is too long for the configuration I had in mind, and I think shortening it may be beyond my ability since it's an odd shape, but maybe not.

I may just run a cone filter out to the washer bottle area and make a heat shield for it instead. Maybe I can stuff it in a coffee can and run a pipe back to where the cool air comes in from the inner fender :hillbilly:

Again, I'll have to continue to ponder and tinker to figure that out.

scotty, whats that on the front of the turbo just quietly ..... not your bov right ?

It is the blow off valve but when it is on the turbo and vented back into the intake it is called a recirculation valve but it plays the same role.

scotty, whats that on the front of the turbo just quietly ..... not your bov right ?

Sub'd, can't wait to see the results. Also in the N Denver area and would love to do this.

News development: got hit and run today in Longmont, police found the guy, so I may have a few bucks coming my way to aide in this venture :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom