Toyota red is dead (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well it might not actually be dead but I have been to 3 Toyota dealers in 2 different states and they have all told me they no longer carry Toyota red coolant. And that I can just go to the auto parts store and get any Euro/Japanese pink and throw it in. So I guess after this winter it’s finally time to throw in the towel and go green.

I am sure green is absolutely fine with a good flush but this is just kind of a service announcement that if you need spare red coolant, or are waiting for the temp to drop to increase your antifreeze mix, you might not be able to count on your local dealership.

The dealership in town no longer carries it either, and would have to order a pallet load from their fluid supplier.

The dealership 20 miles away still had it last time I checked, so I had one of my buddies there bring home a few for me (paid for of course).

or are waiting for the temp to drop to increase your antifreeze mix, you might not be able to count on your local dealership.
What is this antifreeze you speak of?

It seems readily available online. Though I feel weird about ordering a jug of coolant over the internet, I feel like it will explode/leak in transit.

Does anyone know if it will be discontinued, or just become harder to get?

Well it might not actually be dead but I have been to 3 Toyota dealers in 2 different states and they have all told me they no longer carry Toyota red coolant. And that I can just go to the auto parts store and get any Euro/Japanese pink and throw it in. So I guess after this winter it’s finally time to throw in the towel and go green.

I am sure green is absolutely fine with a good flush but this is just kind of a service announcement that if you need spare red coolant, or are waiting for the temp to drop to increase your antifreeze mix, you might not be able to count on your local dealership.
tons of it here in Mass. lots of yota dealers here. $$$$$$

This was the case 4 years ago as Toyota was discontinuing, per CDan. I had just finished totally rebuilding my cooling system and had read everything here and decided to go with Toyota Red. Two weeks later, CDan announced they were discontinuing and he gave his "Seal of Approval" for going "green" since it was more readily available and you still need to change it out every two years.

Which new OEM radiator- 2 core aluminum or 3 core brass

Since then, many have asked this question and most have gone with green because out on the trail, it's hard to order from Amazon and have them to deliver to a set of GPS coordinates in the middle of a forest, on top of a mountain.

Go with green, save the cash to change it more frequently. It's a lot more readily available.

There is another RED available from the local FLAPS, but it is listed as "Asian Red" for all makes including Honda and Toyota. I do not know if it is exactly the same stuff, but it's a LOT cheaper than $35/gal.

This was the case 4 years ago as Toyota was discontinuing, per CDan. I had just finished totally rebuilding my cooling system and had read everything here and decided to go with Toyota Red. Two weeks later, CDan announced they were discontinuing and he gave his "Seal of Approval" for going "green" since it was more readily available and you still need to change it out every two years.

Which new OEM radiator- 2 core aluminum or 3 core brass

Since then, many have asked this question and most have gone with green because out on the trail, it's hard to order from Amazon and have them to deliver to a set of GPS coordinates in the middle of a forest, on top of a mountain.

Go with green, save the cash to change it more frequently. It's a lot more readily available.

There is another RED available from the local FLAPS, but it is listed as "Asian Red" for all makes including Honda and Toyota. I do not know if it is exactly the same stuff, but it's a LOT cheaper than $35/gal.

i was running "Asian RED" prior and was not too impressed with it, probably more so due to my "insufficient cooling from my old radiator"
I have switched to "Toyota RED" this go around with a new radiator in place, so we shall see. If you can still order from Amazon, i would think it is readily available still.

I've been using nylon green coolant for 10 years as that's what the po had been using.
I just removed everything in the cooling system and replaced all the gaskets and all the internals of the cooling system looked as new so I wouldn't be concerned about it at all

The main thing is FLUSH THOROUGHLY with distilled water between switching coolant types/colors.

My PO added green after red and it ended up as brown sludge and caused an exploding radiator.

Flush, switch, and stay with one.

I have always used Toyota red. My local dealer no longer carries it, but they do have Toyota pink, which is already a 50/50 mix "lifetime coolant" and absurdly expensive.
However, you can walk into any Target and get a couple of gallons of pre-mix green for 1/3 the price. I suppose it make sense to start to switch. I would have to do several flushes with distilled water to be certain there's no red left in the system.

Norwalk Toyota has jugs sitting on their retail shelf in the parts section. Great pricing too.

The dealerships in Latin America only had pink since 2012 or earlier, while US / Canada had red. And now we're switching to the pink stuff. Does anyone know the difference between oem RED and PINK coolant?

Yeah I think I tried to order a couple gallons online maybe direct from Toyota and they wanted to charge a “Hazmat” fee. Pretty sure I had Beno send me a gallon but that was like 3-4 years ago. Lol

It seems readily available online. Though I feel weird about ordering a jug of coolant over the internet, I feel like it will explode/leak in transit.

Does anyone know if it will be discontinued, or just become harder to get?

In stock at Checkered Flag Toyota in Va. Beach. Come on down

The dealerships in Latin America only had pink since 2012 or earlier, while US / Canada had red. And now we're switching to the pink stuff. Does anyone know the difference between oem RED and PINK coolant?

OAT = Organic Acid Technology
HOAT = Hybrid Organic Acid Technology-- it uses different organic acids than the OAT antifreeze

OAT = Organic Acid Technology
HOAT = Hybrid Organic Acid Technology-- it uses different organic acids than the OAT antifreeze

My local dealer tells me they aren't interchangeable but could never answer the "why." Good to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom