Toyota 78 pop up roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks renago, that's valuable advice. yeah i figured it would be difficult. I might revise my interior design to see if i can include it but i seriousy doubt it as mine isn't a poptop. Where did you mount yours previously?

I still have my Interior set up , prior to the pop up roof.
Asap I will post some pic .
I have put the cooking plate on top, of a kitchen box next to the back door.
The pipe for Diesel is comming out from the rear tank.
Eletricity is comming from the main battery , long way.

Bye Renago

at last I am driving my Toyota !
here it is
View attachment 961655

View attachment 961658

the interior is not finished yet , I hope this week .
the out side is done , with all rails for side veranda , back veranda , and roof rack.
in these days it's raining like hell , it's the best test to see if it is water tight.
the inside head room is eaven more then original .
the bed panel is working very nicely , as well as the roof hydraulic pumps.
no strange noises , I still have to pull some electric wire , then I will add some foam to damp even more any roof noise reflection .
as soon as I will progress , will make more interesting pic.
might be even tomorrow.
On thursday I have an appointment with the guy that will make the 3 side tent .
hope he will be quick , I want to USE it !!

bye Renago

IMG_1503.JPG
IMG_1508.JPG

X2^^^! Looks fantastic, painted it looks like it was always there. Very stylish and fitting.

totally awesome and inspiring.... thanks so much for posting progress shots

Unbelievable craftsmanship !!!!!!!! Great work !!!!!! More pics please

thanks for the nice comments.
today I have worked all day , but made little progress.
I am doing the interior , side panels , roof panel , wiring for different lights ecc.
small jobs with a LOT of work.
as soon as finished more Photos are coming .

stay tuned .

Bye Renago

Great design and fabrication job! Can't wait to see the fabric portion.

Today I should have the meeting with the guy suppoßed to make the side tent.
It's the fourth One that I M asking.
I'll post some pic of the fixing system.

Bye Renago

to be honest I was sad and a bit shocked when we cut off the roof .
it was an irreversible step .
an I NEVER mad a pop up roof in my life , so there were good chances that something could go wrong .
I am not a professional metal worker , actually I am in sales and marketing of textiles .
so far away from metal - cars transformation .
I used a workshop of a friend of mine , that has many tools and some good skills.

Renago

That is a good friend! You're very lucky to know someone that has those skills. And you gave some good direction and put a lot of thought into that. Great job, it looks like it turned out very well.

Dan

today I have worked all day , but made little progress.
I am doing the interior , side panels , roof panel , wiring for different lights ecc.
small jobs with a LOT of work.
With the interior to go, and the level of perfectionism you have set yourself, I would say your just about to start your build! :) Good luck with it, are you going aluminium or plywood?

@ Dan , I was thinking about this pop up roof since some time , aprox 2 years ! But till you get all your thinking on a draw board and start cutting and welding , things are very different.
I have got in touch with many builders , mainly German and Swiss, but only 1 had a very nice product , but way too expensive.
I am not at the end , but will cost me 40% less then his.
all others were ok , but not really nice or for finish . quality material a bit low, and all far from my house .
So I found a guy that was low in work , and willing to do this job .
nice

@damienperu , the interior on which I am working is only bits an pieces for the moment .
the real and final interior setting will go to next year .
for the moment I will still use my old set up.
as soon as possible I will post some pictures.

Thanks to all for the comments .

rigs Renago

Hi,

A great roof conversion!

I am considering doing the same. Have you noticed any issues following the removal of the roof and the cross members in respect of the rigidity of the body?

Regards,

David

Hi Guys , sorry for the long absence , but due to Work and endless finishing details, I Was able to enjoy Only recently
My new popup roof.
Some more pictures Will follow shortly.

@ Globetrotogragher , I haven't aswered to You earlier because I didn't had any pratical experience on the popup roof.
Non after testing ,I can say that the torsion box before is slightly more stiff.
With the popup, I see Only an littel difference.
Still very acceptable in off road .
All the body is very silent also on toule ondule, and no deformation has been noticed.
A major helping factor are the bed rails, that help keep in shape the body.
When closed the roof presses the matreass , which is pressing the bed platform on the bed rails.
The tollerance between bed platform and rails is Just 3 mm each side.
Photos Will follow to,illustrate.

Ciao Renago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom