Builds Total Restoration 1997 40th Anniversary Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This whole sound mat stuff is interesting.

Back in 1993 when 4Wheeler Magazine tested the then brand new FZJ80 it was the quietest vehicle they had ever tested. I do not remember the specific number but the cruising speed number was something like 70 db.

I took some decibel readings for a 'before and after' out of curiosity. I'll check the 'after' once I'm done. But I bet it didn't reduce much by a measured amount.

The biggest improvement I immediately noticed was the quality of noise at highway speeds - the background road/wind noise was reduced. I'm guessing it's the higher frequencies being blocked/filtered better. Either way just more pleasant experience especially on longer trips and less background noise - conversations are a little easier and the sound system sounds better - easier the hear the detail from the speakers. Might all be placebo effect but glad I went through the effort.

Big knobby tires and aftermarket exhausts create lots of chatter. I know it did in my case. When mine was new it was very quiet.

Actually the blower is pretty quiet. It does have a bit of a "warble" at idle if one listens closely. Might be able to hear it if the exhaust and tires were stock...:)

Working on sound deadening the doors today...
CLF tiles, followed by Closed Cell Foam decoupler and then mass loaded vinyl.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Doing the floors tomorrow. Already finished the roof with the same set of materials

Spent 10 hours straight installing the sound deadening materials on doors, and the entire floor of the cruiser.
  • Started with the CLD tiles (similar to Dynamat Extreme). I actually used some extra Dynamat Extreme I had laying around.
  • Next I installed the CCF decoupler material on top of the Dynamat Extreme.
  • Then I installed the Mass Loaded Vinyl on top of the CCF.

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3910.JPG

IMG_3907.JPG

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

Wow. This is some other level restoration. Nice work

Let us know if you have any issues with the interior assembly. I used the SDS system on my 100 and it looked great but once I tried to put some of the interior bits back I had to cut and modify the MVL so everything would go back together.

Doing the doors that way makes a huge difference!

@fireball. What areas did you have fitment issues?
I just got the door panels assembled and back on

Looking sharp! Can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for sharing the restoration process with us folks ;)

@fireball. What areas did you have fitment issues?
I just got the door panels assembled and back on

I would guess seats, center console, carpet sill plates and step plates.

Bought most of the stuff that I will need to restore my 40th ed years ago like mats,emblems etc.. Just like you, I'm planning to restore mine one day and hopefully I will find more time to do so. Have fun!

I would guess seats, center console, carpet sill plates and step plates.

Yes, I put the sound deadened material too close to the carpet siill plates and had to cut it back an inch or two. The kick panels at driver left foot and passenger right foot also didn't like all the extra material behind them. I tried to make things too tight or too thick. Anytime there is an attachment point for an interior piece or part best to allow a little clearance. In some instances I just cut back the vinyl and left the foam.

Yes, I put the sound deadened material too close to the carpet siill plates and had to cut it back an inch or two. The kick panels at driver left foot and passenger right foot also didn't like all the extra material behind them. I tried to make things too tight or too thick. Anytime there is an attachment point for an interior piece or part best to allow a little clearance. In some instances I just cut back the vinyl and left the foam.

You might also have to cut the area under the gas pedal which I had to do.. Everything looks great!

I installed the OEM carpet today and it fit really well. I didnt have time to install the trim pieces, seats, etc yet though. While I was in there I did the windshield washer bottle relocation and also installed new LED interior lights from PFran.

Next week I have ScottWax (a pretty renowned auto paint correction detailer) coming by. Now that the paint is 30 days old we plan to do some paint correction to get rid of some of the remaining orange peel. Then in 2 weeks the truck goes to the 3M Xpel shop to get paint protection film.

It is an early Christmas. Guess what a Mud Member procured for me... a brand new black pearl 40th Anniversary liftgate nameplate.
The only one left in the US! This is the last 40th specific item needed for my restoration!
IMG_3928.JPG

Created an account just to sub this thread.
I'm buying a 95' in about 2 weeks.
My plans are almost the same and might piggyback off some of your ideas, if you have towing capacity that is... :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom