Builds Total Restoration 1997 40th Anniversary Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the rig is 18 years old this year and I decided that it is time for a makeover. She is in great condition as I have been a religious follower of MUD for 10 years now. Drives still like a new car but her paint and cosmetics could use a refresh. Basically I want to bring her back to the day she was bought new... or at least as close as I can.

Here is the plan:
  • Full disassemble and paint. Going back with the factory Sage Color of course but going with a much better paint job than Toyota did back in 1997
  • Replace all weatherstripping and rubber on truck
  • New Windshield
  • New Sunroof
  • Replace all molding (except the sage color side molding as these are no longer available from Toyota)
  • All new trim, emblems, etc...
  • Full interior disassemble.
  • New Katzkin Leathers to replace the Katzkin kit I bought back on 2006.
  • New Headliner from Sue at ASM (The Fast and Loud Shop in Dallas-- the TV Show)
  • New OEM Carpet via Dan
  • New sunvisors via Sue at ASM
  • Re-carpet drawers
  • Install Cargo barrier (Speski)
  • Complete Sound Deadener Setup via Sound Deadener Showdown (floors, doors, roof, quarters, tailgate, etc)
  • Re-powder coat front bumper (Slee Short Bus), Rear Bumper (4x4 Labs), Sliders (Cruisinoffroad), Roof Rack (PrinSu)
  • Rigid LED Backup lights
  • Toyo MT 315s
  • Replace OME Mediums springs with Heavies
  • Replace all factory bronze tinted glass with factory clear glass (passenger doors, rear hatch and liftgate)
  • Wrap full hood, fenders, door handle recesses, headlights, side of truck mid-line down and flares with Xpel Ultimate Protection Film
  • A trip to Slee Off Road for additional goodies:
    • ARB Front and Rear Lockers
    • New Gearing
    • Warn M8000S Synthetic Winch
    • Interior Winch Controls
    • Add OEM Factory Locker Knob to control lockers
    • Stainless Extended Brake Lines
    • Short Bus front LED Light bar

Last edited:
sounds spendy

Here we go....

I disassembled/ removed the front bumper, factory side steps, rear bumper, grill and headlights before dropping it off to George and Mario at Premier Auto Sports here in Dallas.

IMG_3379.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

The disassembly begins.
Removing the flares and the door handles first. The door handle gaskets are no longer available so we need to make sure we dont damage them.
We will refinish the door handles, rear tailgate, rear view mirrors and the cowl separately from the rest of the body.

IMG_3377.JPG

Wow, impressive desire.

New leather from Katzkin arrived...

Driftwood and Adobe with accent stitching

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

All armor redone.

Cardinal Coatings - Powder Coat- Steel Grey Pearl

IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3471.JPG

Windshield removed. Sanding the body and repairing all dings in the paint.

IMG_3404.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

Last edited:
All repairs done. There weren't many but I want the body perfect....

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG

Forgot to add the headlight work:
I have always wanted a quad projector HID set-up and I have been running an HID retro fit with single S2k projectors for about 7 years or so now. These have been the best upgrade I have made to the cruiser by far.

Since I have an extra set of clear depo headlights, I am sending the extra depo's to HID Illusionz to do another HID retro for me... this time a quad set up.... A pair of SC430 for the low beams and a pair of Morimoto H1 bi-xeon projectors for the high beams. This should be the brightest top end retro- fit possible. These will run off quad HID ballasts connected to the Slee Lighting Harness.

When we had the Rigid LED Light Bar to the Slee Short Bus bumper, the lighting should be awesome :)

New Toyo Open Country MTs - 315's running on Steel Gray Pearl Powder Coated Mickey Thompson Classic's.
Really quiet for MT's. We added Spidertrax spacers to widen the stance and to prevent any rubbing on the frame/ components.

IMG_8057.JPG

I am also interested in seeing if I can get sets of 95-97 land cruiser carpeted floor mats custom made. Basically taking the 98-00 floor mats and having my upholstery shop customize them. I need to find a set of 80 series floor mats we can use as a template. I may even be able to add the 40th Anniversary logo as per the originals.
If anyone has an old set of 80 series carpeted floor mats, I'll pay you $50 via Paypal for them....

If you want to learn how to quiet your ride, spend 30 minutes reading on this site.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

The common old school solution was to slap a bunch of layers of dynamat down everywhere.... however the best performing solutions use a variety of materials to address the source and type of noise you are trying to reduce.

They sell a full kit for the Land Cruiser at around $750.
Mine just arrived!

IMG_3477.JPG

@onemanarmy
Yes they are the factory flairs.
Nope the 315s look just fine on the OME heavies plus spacers. Thanks though :)

:popcorn:

Rear Glass removed, side glass removed, all latches removed, cowl removed, door handles removed, antenna removed, wheels removed.... prepping for primer

IMG_3445.JPG

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom