TORT: The ONSC Rant Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rant ON:

Trying to decide if I should charge this couple from NY for not cancelling outside our 48 Hour window - would be the full rate.

I already have a $35 deposit they will not get back. They "technically" owe us the balance of the rate due to late notice.

I had to miss the Relic Run because they would not respond or let us know, etc. Was hoping to come down for the evening activities AT LEAST.

They stated via their reservation for a 3 PM arrival.

I waited.

And waited.

At about 4PM - - I called, I texted.

Finally at 7 PM, she was like "sorry our flight got cancelled."

Um . . . you should have known about that many hours in advance of your supposed 3 PM arrival. I also doubt the flight was cancelled for some reason.

They live just north of Central Park . . .come on man.

Charge them.
You have a stated policy.
Flight cancellation is not your fault, you should not eat the cost of the rooms that could have been sold to someone else.

Or.... chalk it up to “people suck” and move on. Customer service unfortunately involves people being jerks. You can choose to let it happen and keep moving and hope they return, or you can make them pay and never see them again and likely (depending on how vocal they are) impact your ongoing business. Everyone is an online critic. Doesn’t take a lot of negative Yelp reviews to destroy a business.

Oh and NYC folks are kinda rude. I worked there for 6 years and the longer I was there the more I realized that a lot of them looked down on everyone that wasn’t a New Yorker. The image of a dumb southerner wearing overalls chewing on a piece of hay is something they picture anyone with a slight drawl.

Not all of them, mind you. But a lot of them.

Watch her complain about the $35 deposit . .. I swear to gawd that if she complains I will charge the whole amt LOL :)

Last edited:
Charge them.
You have a stated policy.
Flight cancellation is not your fault, you should not eat the cost of the rooms that could have been sold to someone else.

This 100%. If they live in Manhattan, then they likely have credit cards with travel insurance. Get yo money

policy is policy for a reason...your time is money...how much did they loose?

They lost the $35 deposit only. I did not charge them the total $182 bill.

We had another open room.

If we would have been full with a waiting list like some weekends I would have charged the full amount.

I guess on the upside, we have been in business for 1 year and 2 months and this is the first time we have had someone back out like this :) 1 out of 608 . . :)

Watch her complain about the $35 deposit . .. I swear to gawd that if she complains I will charge the whole amt LOL :)

If this is the first time it happened to you, I'd day split it and charge them half... after this go to full.

New Rant:

I depend on the internet connection at my house. This morning I was out walking the dogs and I see an att guy a few houses down and he’s working on something. I get back home and notice that my att internet connection is gone. It was fine last night and this morning.

I reboot/reset everything, the secondary modem in the garage gets a battery pull and reset.... ‘gateway authentication’ is the code that comes up. 30 minutes on the phone with Suzhsumthinorother and I’m none the wiser.
We’ll send a tech. How does Monday work for you?

It doesn’t.

I got off the phone and called NorthState. They have an “even better” full fiber to the home connection (aTT is fiber to the switch, then copper from the switch to the home - from what i understand) they can’t be out to install it for a week or so which puts me out even longer.

So I figure, the guy that probably screwed it up in the first place is still there? I walked down to the tech and explained that I just lost my connection, asked him if there was an outage?

He’s just picked up the orange cone and is already thinking about the next job. ‘I don’t know nothing about any of that. I was just here to hook up this gentleman’s phone.’ He then loads the cone and himself into the shiny and new yet emasculating Euro-style transit van and drives away, knowing that he won’t have to return because ‘that $#!7 is for the level 1 techs’.

As I type this rant, on this amazing tiny super computer in my hand...the phrase “1st world problems” comes to mind.

I feel your pain man.

Upgrade to business class internet from your favorite ISP. Doesn't get you anything other than faster response time during an outage.

Ya know, it really wasn't all that long ago that waving a cow hide over a smokey fire was enough to communicate at distance.

@jamesurq Can't you use your phone as a personal hotspot for your computer?

Sounds like an idea for a new shirt design brewing.

I am sitting here having a cup of coffee and doing a little paperwork, watching the news. A piece about the school shooting in CO. You might have not even heard about it, they are so DAMN COMMON. What the hell is going on in this country?

The focused on a young man that lost his life rushing the shooter. The same thing occurred last week in Charlotte, another young man lost his life rushing a shooter. This just brings me to an emotional point I can not describe.

Obviously, this is a horrific situation (shootings in general) but what has happened to turn kids into shooters? Kids have always had problems. Kids have always fought back for all kinds of reason. We all went through it at some level. We got in fights, threw smoke bombs into the men's room etc etc. What has changed so much that so many take a gun to school and start killing their fellow students? Are the shooters so lame (lack of better description) that they are afraid of getting hurt themselves, so rather they shoot people? I really can not wrap my head around it. Is it so simple as a desire for attention?

I understand that some will say it is the guns and easy availability. Guns were available when I was in high school in the 70's, we never even considered shooting up a school. What has changed? Humans as a species appear to be circling the bowl.

I am just babbling, rant over.

I have a question. Do any of you train your kids at home on tactics to engage if involved in a shooting at school? I assume there is a level of training at schools already.

I have been present for multiple lockdown drills at my son's school. We discussed last night the drills, and how to hide "like an animal, quiet and still".

He is five.

I don't have much to say about the cause of these shootings. It is two fold. Guns need to be secured. This is a no s*** one. Mental health needs to be paid attention to. This is especially sensitive for me right now as I have been processing the suicide of a friend's husband after him seeking treatment was dismissed. It just isn't taken as seriously as it needs to be.
A similar scenario in this particular shooting. All of them, really.

Last edited:
My goal is to get both my kids out of the public system. Next year they will be enrolled in a small private Christian school. That's not to say that a shooting couldn't happen there, but I want to believe it is less likely to happen. Both kids are 2nd degree black belts. They've been trained to handle physical conflict. Guns, not so much. Run, hide, make yourself small are the only words of wisdom I have for them. There's not much else they can do.

I believe the reason for these shootings is lack of respect for life. If we raised our own animals, slaughtered our own cows, pigs, and chickens like we did in the old days, or if we just taught our kids to hunt and fish, I honestly believe these school shootings would be a thing of the past. We are all so isolated from the ugliness of killing another creature that it has become a curiosity. If kids got to see the real death of lesser creatures at their own hands, I think they'd have more respect for life in general and more specifically, human life. When you have to kill your pet chicken to feed the family...see the blood, pluck the feathers, deal with the reality of what killing something means...you come to realize that it is a lot more than what is shown in a video game. Maybe we'd all eat a little less meat too. Not that eating meat is necessarily a bad thing, but back when eating steak meant slaughtering a cow, a lot of work went into slaughtering that cow.

Last edited:
I agree with Dave, respect has gone out the window. Personal accountability has gone out the window. Looking out for others is becoming rare. Pride in yourself and family name for positive things has gone out the window. I could write a freaking dissertation about it, but if you're reading this far, you would already be aware of how much our "civilization " has been declining.

My heart is broken at what seems to me like senseless violence coming from children and young adults. There is not one reason or solution to get from where we are to where human life (or life in general) is valued. The "name one particular weapon" argument is not valid. The human race has been violent since its inception with hands, fists, rocks, sticks, knives, arrows, cannons, and guns. One thing is banned and suddenly another mass engagement is completed with a different means of destruction. Guns are efficient but a pressure cooker lined with nails is devastating both physically and emotionally. Humans are ingenious, taking away one tool only lets us find creative ways to use another tool for the same end game. Ban guns, ban knives, ban rocks and people still inflict harm on one another.

I am going to sound like an old guy now so sit down in your rocking chair and ease it back a little.

Values are where I believe we need to focus and that is what I have attempted to do with my children. Have I been successful, I may never know. The softening of the family is of issue to me. I was pretty much raised by my mother and there was no way she could do everything. We made do with what we had and it was ok.

The idea of a village raising a child is great if your village is not infested with idiots. (Insert your favorite euphemism here)

When my son was in high school there were lock down drills that had them shelter in place. We discussed this tactic and both decided that it was much harder to engage a moving target than one huddled in a corner behind a hollow core door.

I have no beef with people who "think" they have all the answers. They don't know jack, just like me......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom