TORT: The ONSC Rant Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

/minirant
Have been playing indoor soccer in a league by my house. It's fun, gets some intense exercise in, etc. Sprained my ankle yesterday, felt bad enough at the time I thought it might be broken. Somehow this is my first time with a sprain, despite years of soccer, lacrosse and volleyball (plenty of other injuries though). Guess I was due.

Have to put wrenching projects on pause for a few days and "rest". I hate sitting still.

/endminirant

#welcometogettingold!

Since you all have a place for this, I am going to take advantage of it. I am not sure if any of you have heard of this Marie Kondo chic, but she is apparently a netflix star with a show about getting rid of clutter. And that is all well and good, we could all stand to do some de-cluttering, but apparently now that my better half has watched her show for a hot minute, it was just the nudge she needed to start cleaning out the closet. That again is fine and good, but she just brought out a box of leggings (that was a thing for a minute at our house) and I am guessing that there are several hundred dollars worth of leggings in this box. She says, it needs to be out of her house. I see a pair with a tag still on them and I asked if we could sell any of it, to which I got a rather short, I don't have time to deal with all that, I just want it out of my house.... I am down with the cleaning, I am even down with the getting rid of the clothes, what I have a bit of an issue with is basically giving money away. Most of these have likely been worn maybe once and are in good shape. She bought them, why can't she bother to try and sell them... I am a guilty as the next person about this type of stuff, but for some reason tonight it just kinda ran all over me and I needed to vent a little. Thanks for the outlet.

Since you all have a place for this, I am going to take advantage of it. I am not sure if any of you have heard of this Marie Kondo chic, but she is apparently a netflix star with a show about getting rid of clutter. And that is all well and good, we could all stand to do some de-cluttering, but apparently now that my better half has watched her show for a hot minute, it was just the nudge she needed to start cleaning out the closet. That again is fine and good, but she just brought out a box of leggings (that was a thing for a minute at our house) and I am guessing that there are several hundred dollars worth of leggings in this box. She says, it needs to be out of her house. I see a pair with a tag still on them and I asked if we could sell any of it, to which I got a rather short, I don't have time to deal with all that, I just want it out of my house.... I am down with the cleaning, I am even down with the getting rid of the clothes, what I have a bit of an issue with is basically giving money away. Most of these have likely been worn maybe once and are in good shape. She bought them, why can't she bother to try and sell them... I am a guilty as the next person about this type of stuff, but for some reason tonight it just kinda ran all over me and I needed to vent a little. Thanks for the outlet.

Such good timing. Almost the same exact thing happened in my household over the last few days.

Then again, with how much I spend on my trucks/tools, I really can't complain when she does something like that :lol:

Uh oh. The Mrs just gave me this...

IMG_5431.jpg

I can at least say she knows better. I think she has ever only tossed one shirt of mine, and it was a really old button up that she hated the pattern on and I had pretty much worn completely out. And even then it was after I relented. I need to go thru my cloths and get rid of some stuff, but I am the kind that needs to come to it on my own and I get irrationally angry when I feel like she has forced me into something, even if in the end it is for my own good. But I will say that this woman's marketing team is genius. I mean drop this right after new years when everyone is already all jacked up on cleaning and starting anew. This hits mid-summer, forget it, but new years resolutions are still fresh on folks minds and now it is the thing to do.

I told her that it stopped at the garage for sure, but since I typed the original post, the box has more than doubled. I'm going to have to sort it and rebox it just to get it loaded.

I "feel" for all you good men dealing with this. I claim men buy bigger stuff we can sell more easily . . . but I think my over-purchasing has been proven on these forums :(

We used to itemize, so with that I could claim that donating something was worth the fair market value * your effective tax rate to donate. So if you could get MORE for it by donating, then just donate it.

So instead of selling your box of $100 LULU LEMON or whatever they are called pants to Plato's Closet or at a garage sale for $3 each, just donate the crap for $32*.25% = $8 deduction.

Now - EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE SOLD bishes . . . I can blame Pres Trump, the new tax plan, etc . . but really it was our move to the new business.

I also see old clothes as "NEW" rags. Wife believes in throwing away new rags - - OMG - I need two more posts about how important it is to have RAGS!!

@weejub I found a store that I should buy simply to be a supplier to the midcentury modern shop near you. We filled up the trunk of Sarah's car with clothes for under $50. They said they turn down furniture because they don't have any room for it.

I like this rags angle that you are working. I may have to raid the box for some new rags now that you mention it.

And I know that in our house, we over buy stuff. Wife got into the legging thing (Lula Ro) and she would find a pair she liked and "had to have" and I didn't say a word because it meant that I would catch less grief when I got a part for one of the trucks, or a new tool, so I am not innocent in all this.

I guess if nothing else, this can be a good lesson in being more deliberate in the things we buy. I know that is definitely a life lesson that I could stand to practice more.

And @JohnVee it is funny you say that, because I saw an article today that was basically saying that this whole declutter movement was great for the thrift store market and that lots of non-profits that used those types of sales to generate needed revenue for their outreach programs were seeing a major uptick. So I guess silver linings.

@weejub I found a store that I should buy simply to be a supplier to the midcentury modern shop near you. We filled up the trunk of Sarah's car with clothes for under $50. They said they turn down furniture because they don't have any room for it.

That store gets a ton of business from the fancier parts of town - I bet you could make some money selling them furniture! Transportation is a killer tho :(

This whole government shut down is cramping my style.

To top it off, bishes be goin to DC to march against MEN.

Women’s March 2019 — Women's March

While the MAN has to stay home and work 2 JOBS, even doin the woMEN's jobs.

Spendin the MAN's money marching against him . . .

. . . doin sumpin wrong around here.

I can see me, after working all week and then weekend with a full house, having to DRIVE UP to DC to get these women cause of some BS - like . . .

- partial government start up - agreed to build a wall . . .but only around DC
- all the women have no maps and many don't know how to drive, so men are in short supply to get them to stations and stuff
- the women eat out at all the expensive DC restaurants and stay at fancy hotels and max out their credit cards - man has to come and bring cash to get them out of the kitchen's washin dishes
- Monday is MLK DAY - women's marches need to happen on a different weekend!

Last edited:

A couple of years ago my wife told me that she wanted me to help her get a bunch of stuff together to have a yard sale. She started listing out all the stuff she wanted to get rid of and I was doing a little calculation in my head. I asked her what she thought she'd make on the sale. $300 - $400 was her answer. I offered to just give her $400 cash if I could take it all to Goodwill and be done with it. The last thing I want to do is to spend a whole weekend setting up a yard full of junk, tagging it, putting up signs, having people I don't know in my yard, arguing over prices, dog going ballistic, etc...only to end up taking everything that didn't get bought to Goodwill anyway. I think i got the better end of the deal.

A couple of years ago my wife told me that she wanted me to help her get a bunch of stuff together to have a yard sale. She started listing out all the stuff she wanted to get rid of and I was doing a little calculation in my head. I asked her what she thought she'd make on the sale. $300 - $400 was her answer. I offered to just give her $400 cash if I could take it all to Goodwill and be done with it. The last thing I want to do is to spend a whole weekend setting up a yard full of junk, tagging it, putting up signs, having people I don't know in my yard, arguing over prices, dog going ballistic, etc...only to end up taking everything that didn't get bought to Goodwill anyway. I think i got the better end of the deal.

The TRUTH!

Same goes for "Charity Car Washes" - - yea i want to sit in the sun for 7 hours so that we can make $100 . .no thanks. Here is Benjamin, go by some copy paper for the next car wash . . . without me.

Don't forget to get a receipt so you can write it off on your taxes.

The TRUTH!

Same goes for "Charity Car Washes" - - yea i want to sit in the sun for 7 hours so that we can make $100 . .no thanks. Here is Benjamin, go by some copy paper for the next car wash . . . without me.

BALLER STATUS!!!

The TRUTH!

Back in the day I would have paid $100 to see my kids outside sweating, suffering, and working for a whole day. Builds character!

My strategy has worked for years. Its like a perpetual motion machine. Every week I take some of the house clutter (aka decorations) and throw it away. Do this the morning of garbage pick up to minimize exposure. When my wife asks if I have seen the thing, I look dumb (natural) and say "I dunno". Then she goes out a week later and buys more crap. The cycle repeats. Perpetual. Motion. Machine.

You are all caught up in capitalism, it's the national religion and most don't realize they've converted. Look up the average credit card debt just to pay for X-mas. Buy buy buy. Buy crap, wear it out or break it, buy new crap to replace it, repeat.

The concept of SAVING and buying quality the first time is not a common concept. Lifetime guarantee! Lifetime of the company and these days it is hard to keep up. It is not hard to ween off of, just takes some discipline.

JAMIE try this one, go look at the car AND ONLY THE THE TARGET CAR. Do not buy the neighbor of the target guy's car. Do not buy the cool car you saw on the lot on the way. I do this with shopping, whether local or on the internet. I buy only what I set out to buy and if something else pops up I do not buy it. If three days or so later I cant live without it, then I buy it. I may buy the second item 5% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom