TORT: The ONSC Rant Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Re: ac dryer topic. I can relate to both sides. I think what gets my goat is the ‘book’ labor crap. I understand it fills a need from a business owner perspective so they can apply some std to their jobs but from a consumer point of few, it feels sinister to include a charge of 3 hours of labor on a bill when in fact the mechanic only worked 1 hour on the job.

It would be easier for me to stomach a bill if it was along the lines of - std cost for the repair and had zero to do with ‘hours’.

Semantics yes, but perception is everything these days.

We (collective mud community) are much more mechanically savvy then 90% of folks on the street and repair rates are based off the majority. Think about your coworker that is clueless when it comes to cars and the value a mechanic affords them. It’s likely much greater then us. Just b/c were not total auto dumbasses doesn’t mean we should pay less as the mechanic could reasonable be making more money not serving us.

Ugh...I just attempted to bring rational into a rant thread. :bang:

Last edited:
Compare it to going to the Dr, hiring a plumber, electrician, etc. You aren't paying them for what they do you are paying them for their knowledge of how to do it and then doing it correctly. Or you can go find a red-neck shade-tree wrench turner who will charge half then you will have to take it to a real mechanic to straighten out the mess and still end up paying more. Personally, I would vote for the expertise and save money in the long run.

Or, you could invest in the tools and learn how to repair AC equipment for a living.

Re: ac dryer topic. I can relate to both sides. I think what gets my goat is the ‘book’ labor crap. I understand it fills a need from a business owner perspective so they can apply some std to their jobs but from a consumer point of few, it feels sinister to include a charge of 3 hours of labor on a bill when in fact the mechanic only worked 1 hour on the job.

It would be easier for me to stomach a bill if it was along the lines of - std cost for the repair and had zero to do with ‘hours’.

Semantics yes, but perception is everything these days.

We (collective mud community) are much more mechanically savvy then 90% of folks on the street and repair rates are based off the majority. Think about your coworker that is clueless when it comes to cars and the value a mechanic affords them. It’s likely much greater then us. Just b/c were not total auto dumbasses doesn’t mean we should pay less as the mechanic could reasonable be making more money not serving us.

Ugh...I just attempted to bring rational into a rant thread. :bang:

You'll want them to not use the book right until it takes them 5 hours to do a 2 hour job due to <insert excuse here>

You'll want them to not use the book right until it takes them 5 hours to do a 2 hour job due to <insert excuse here>

Yeah, that's where, to me, I would rather it be - It will cost you ____ dollars for this job. Essentially the same thing as saying - This job requires __ hours of labor to complete. Semantics for sure...

Well I had come to terms with paying $340 to fix my AC, but it turns out I spent $340 to not even have my AC fixed properly.

It doesn’t work anymore, I had it fixed Saturday.

I don’t think there is any freon left

Now let piss someone off....
you need for the job

Nitrogen tank 100 bucks
Nitrogen refill “ tank comes empty “ 15 buck
Nitrogen regulator $75
Assortment of orings $10
Bubble check $5
Gauges $75
Vacuum pump. $100 (cheap low quality)
Oil for the pump $8
Rags and misc $20

You are going to use this once or twice in your life. By the time you needed the second time you have move them to a storage unit and rats ate the hoses and wires. So. Time to buy it again.

Just pulling your leg. it is probably the orings

damn o-rings..... cheap ass shops love to reuse them. I've wasted a lot of freon on reused o-rings.

damn o-rings..... cheap ass shops love to reuse them. I've wasted a lot of freon on reused o-rings.
I don’t even know what o-rings are but alroght

I don’t even know what o-rings are but alroght
If things go well, I'll be showing her my o-face....
office-space-o-face.jpg

O-rings are gaskets that are little rubber rings, they compress as you tighten the connections to the AC compressor and stop any leakage. When you use them once, they basically flatten out and shouldn't be reused. But cheap/crappy/lazy/don't keep a supply of o-rings shops just reuse them.

I would’ve just rolled my window down and save 340 bucks

You dont happen to ride around with a menopausal, or post menopausal woman, do you? Because, if you did, you would probably be bleeding out after getting mutilated by fingernails, and any number of weapons they conceal as everyday objects in their purse.

yep...another attention hor doing what they do best.

it probably wouldn't be so repulsive if she didn't look so smug and proud of herself. All it takes is money. She didn't do anything worthy of praise.

don't see the joy in it....can't mount it, can't eat it, can't even move it....it's gigantic out in the middle of nowhere. So just gonna leave it there?

Mother earth karma will get her.

I think it really depends on the full situation. Some communities have arrangements with big game guides to allow hunting in their area. The community gets a % of the money, the guide gets a % of the money, and the meat is distributed to several communities. They also have the ability to select the animal that the hunter is to target. Those targeted are usually the hyperaggressive ones that have endangered the locals, or animals who are approaching the end of their lives. The hunter gets to keep their "trophy", and the community gets money to help their game management population programs, and people get food.

The situation i mention above is rare, but it is becoming much more common than it was 5-10 years ago.

Edited to add: I personally dont see the point of going to another country (or hell, even my own backyard) to pop an animal that I dont need to provide sustinence for myself, my family, or neighbors; or to eradicate a nuisance/risky animal. Id do it if i had to, but not just for sport

Last edited:
A new one. Sitting at a light, light turns green, you go and get in front of the car beside you because they are texting at the light and not moving at all. Then they realize you got in front of them, and punch it and get right on your bumper. I am not understanding. You are texting and sitting, not moving. Why are you acting crazy? Do you realize the hundy bumper is SOLID STEEL? I want to add a sticker that states, "This bumper will fold your vehicle up like a tin can."

It was a black dodge durango with super black windows. Might have been LE. Next time, I just letting off the gas. It was crazy.

Also, how does LE get way with the super black tint? It is dangerous for other drivers when you can't see through the vehicle to the other vehicles in front of that one.

Last edited:
A new one. Sitting at a light, light turns green, you go and get in front of the car beside you because they are texting at the light and not moving at all. Then they realize you got in front of them, and punch it and get right on your bumper. I am not understanding. You are texting and sitting, not moving. Why are you acting crazy? Do you realize the hundy bumper is SOLID STEEL? I want to add a sticker that states, "This bumper will fold your vehicle up like a tin can."

It was a black dodge durango with super black windows. Might have been LE. Next time, I just letting off the gas. It was crazy.

Also, how does LE get way with the super black tint? It is dangerous for other drivers when you can't see through the vehicle to the other vehicles in front of that one.

LEO don't have to obey the rules you and I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom