Too many being stolen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Feb 1, 2016
Threads
50
Messages
668
Location
Fort Mill, SC
Folks,
We all love these old trucks and want to keep them. Problem is, they are old trucks. If someone wants them it's pretty easy to steal them. So do what I did and buy a tracker. I bought one off Amazon for $55 and it cost $12 per month for the service. It has a battery backup that's good for a couple days. It can notify you of start events, stop events, loss of power and you can setup Geo fences so if it goes in or out of that fence you can be notified. Cheap insurance IMO. I installed it behind the radio on mine. I also tucked a Samsung smarttag under the carpet, as a backup locator.

Optimus GV75MG Waterproof Wired GPS Tracker for Motorcycles, Boats, Machinery, Assets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089J75Q29/?tag=ihco-20
 
I’m thinking about doing a kill switch and hiding it, only problem - It doesn’t stop you from stealing the diesels.


Think I’m still going to put them on the gas yoters.
 
After ours was stolen I put two disabling devices which I believe will deter another potential theft. However, I also believe if they want it they will take it. :(
 
I would agree that a kill switch is a good first line of defense.


A tracking device like to one listed. One company we use a lot is Drone Mobile for customer installs.


A layered approach is going to result in someone who gives up and moves on or if they do get the rig you have a better chance of determine where it went.

Doing both of these and parking in secure locations and being aware of your surroundings will help minimize your exposures to risk.
 
I'm planning to hide a kill switch on mine that disables the fuel cutoff solenoid on my 4bt.
Easy thing to do, and will probably buy me enough time to catch a thief or have them simply give up because it won't start. Luckily at the moment, mine is in bad enough shape that I can't imagine someone wanting it that bad lol...
 
My Anti-theft device. Should be a 5 on it somewhere but still effective. Around here it continually proves itself working any time I try and just get the truck inspected:

1662555647883.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Kill switch on ignition switch and ground of fuel pump are good starts. You can wire them up into pretty ingenious places if you think about it. Even some oem dash switches. Just saying.
 
Kill switch on ignition switch and ground of fuel pump are good starts. You can wire them up into pretty ingenious places if you think about it. Even some oem dash switches. Just saying.
Fuel pump grounding won't work for a 2F.
 
Check out the Cyclops relay. Replaces the fuel pump relay with a relay that has a key FOB to energize it. Looks just like an standard relay. You do have to have an electric fuel pump for it work. I am fuel injected so I have it on my 60. Would not be hard to do the same on the starter circuit if you do not have an electric fuel pump.
 
Fuel pump grounding won't work for a 2F.
Oh yeah good call. I installed mine when i did my swap. You could probably run it to the fuel cut solenoid or the igniter coil. This guy i know in the firstgen 4runner community wired one to his cig lighter and it was pretty cool.
 
Hi , Started to put disconnects on ours. Started with the Ram 1500 second generation first,glad we did, someone keeps trying to steal it. The idea is to slow them down and have time to encourage them to go away ,
 
Back
Top Bottom