Time for brakes , opinions wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not usually one for others peoples opinions, but I realize a lot of folks on this forum have already done brake upgrades, refurbishment, on their GX's. So here it goes. I'm going to be taking care of the warped front rotors on the wifes GX sometime in the next few weeks. Here are a couple ideas I've been throwing around. Feel free to comment and offer opinions/experiences that you've had.

Option

1) Amazon.com: Power Stop K2422 Front and Rear Z23 Evolution Brake Kit with Drilled/Slotted Rotors and Ceramic Brake Pads: Automotive the ever popular powerstop kit from Amazon. My concern with these would be cheap blanks that are prone to warping as well as getting a bunch of crap built up in the holes when off-road.

2) Brembo rotors front and rear and a set of Akebono or equivalent ceramic pads. The most expensive option by far.

3) Slotted only rotors from these guys Slotted Brake Kits . Lifetime warranty, mixed reviews just like everyone else. I wish someone on here was running these as they seem like a good option.

4) GX460 upgrade, ok this would be most expensive as I would need the 460 calipers. I'm assuming its a thicker rotor so less prone to warpage. The whole caliper less prone to sticking seems anecdotal at best given the relative age of the design. I'm curious to see if they don't have the same issue when they are as old as some of the 470's.

Stainless lines - anyone running these ? Considering contacting Ben or Christo @sleeoffroad to see if one of their 4runner kits will fit out application. I have a set on my 97 LC and was impressed with the quality.

Brake fluid - the whole system will get flushed out and replaced with DOT 4 synthetic by Pentosin. I'm assuming these rigs have an electric pump on them, so the vehicle needs to be on to flush the system ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I did the RockAuto PowerStop K242236 about 12k miles ago and about 1300 miles off road (New Mexico Backroads Decovery Route and a week in the Gila National forest and Stoney Pass) and they are still working great, I would purchase them again.

I did the RockAuto PowerStop K242236 about 12k miles ago and about 1300 miles off road (New Mexico Backroads Decovery Route and a week in the Gila National forest and Stoney Pass) and they are still working great, I would purchase them again.

Good to know. Did you get them with the ceramic pads ? I believe Powerstop, Stoptech, and Centric are all the same company.

I just went through the same decision process a couple weeks ago. I wanted a slight upgrade, without spending too much money. I chose Centric slotted (not drilled) rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Rotors from Rock Auto, pads from Tire Rack. I've only had them installed for about 10 days now, but they really feel great! I still need to bleed/flush the old brake fluid but my Motive power bleeder didn't fit the reservoir so that got delayed.

My only concern really is that a LOT of people complain about the Hawk pads getting noisy. Time will tell on that one, but I don't think it'll bother me too much anyway.

I did PowerStop ceramic pads severe duty pads and I also did Beck/Arnley brake calipers 0771624c & 23ct

The whole caliper less prone to sticking seems anecdotal at best given the relative age of the design. I'm curious to see if they don't have the same issue when they are as old as some of the 470's.

My '04 had a caliper that had been changed already when we got it, and I've had to do each side again since, it's not an age/wear issue as far as I'm concerned, but it might be better/worse depending on where you live and how much salt/grime the underside of the truck will see.

As for upgrades, I kept it stock spec other than the brake pads, went with Hawk LTS all around and they've been great. Better bite when cold or hot than stock.

For Pads: I would highly suggest Hawk 5.0 pads for our rigs. LTS maybe if you are full bumpers, skids, heavy load ect. but still those are for full size trucks that tow.

For Rotors: Look into doing Stoptech Slotted rotors or EBC Slotted Rotors, the EBC ones are fully coated black so it helps with rust.

Stainless lines: Goodridge i believe has a full kit that includes all 6 lines and you can get them extended if need be.

I work close to all of these companies and run there products, just my opinion!

So does the powerstop kit come with specific rotors for each corner of the vehicle ? On Rockauto you can get all 4 for about $200 and then go with whatever pads you want. That's if you buy individually and not the kit. However, I'm not sure if they are directional or not.

Stainless lines: Goodridge i believe has a full kit that includes all 6 lines and you can get them extended if need be.

This brings up a question, at what lift height should we consider extending the brake lines? On the 80 Series I believe it was when you went past 3" lifts.

This brings up a question, at what lift height should we consider extending the brake lines? On the 80 Series I believe it was when you went past 3" lifts.

It will depend more on your available articulation than just lift height. If your using a tapered spring ( not sure they make them for 120's ) or a dual rate, then you will have a longer available free length. I'm guessing if you are going 2'' or more even on a linear spring its going to be cheap insurance.

After getting the lift and bigger tires, I am in desperate need of new brakes. I was thinking of going with the 460 calipers to “upgrade”. I was hoping to get the latest opinions on brakes—-what’s the current best option?

460 and Terrain Tamer calipers and Extreme Duty rotors and pads.

460 and Terrain Tamer calipers and Extreme Duty rotors and pads.
Dan, , thanks for the reply. Could I get you to dumb that down for me even more? Sorry....but it’s only 460’s for the front correct? Then you’re saying TT for the rear? Best source? I was looking at Rock Auto for the 460’s....

Terrain Tamer makes replacement 460 calipers, rotors, and pads for the front. Regular 470 rotors and pads for the rear. Can get them from Cruiser Brothers.

Just got done doing Stop Tech slotted only rotors and their suggested pad for this kit the sport pads. I have used this setup on my Tacoma(front at least) and a 4th gen 4r we used to have. Loved the setup. Better braking power and no warped rotors.

StopTech 967.44017 Truck Axle Pack Amazon product ASIN B0143JB4NU
At the same time I worked with Toytec Lifts to test their SS line kit that they have for the 4th gen 4r. Same length front and extended rear lines. Fit worked out fine and the parts should be listed as fitting GX on their site.

I chose not to do the GX460 caliper upgrade because of the number of people complaining of squishy pedal post work completion. IMO to do that MOD right you need to swap the entire system since the 460 has increased size and volume of fluid. The 470 has a great system, just needed a little extra bite from the slotted rotors and improved pads.

Just got done doing Stop Tech slotted only rotors and their suggested pad for this kit the sport pads. I have used this setup on my Tacoma(front at least) and a 4th gen 4r we used to have. Loved the setup. Better braking power and no warped rotors.

StopTech 967.44017 Truck Axle Pack Amazon product ASIN B0143JB4NU
At the same time I worked with Toytec Lifts to test their SS line kit that they have for the 4th gen 4r. Same length front and extended rear lines. Fit worked out fine and the parts should be listed as fitting GX on their site.

I chose not to do the GX460 caliper upgrade because of the number of people complaining of squishy pedal post work completion. IMO to do that MOD right you need to swap the entire system since the 460 has increased size and volume of fluid. The 470 has a great system, just needed a little extra bite from the slotted rotors and improved pads.

I want to bump the thread to ask you how these have been holding up for over a year?

I’m about to pull the trigger on a full brake upgrade front and back + brake lines and was curious how these held up.

I want to bump the thread to ask you how these have been holding up for over a year?

I’m about to pull the trigger on a full brake upgrade front and back + brake lines and was curious how these held up.
They are still going strong. Getting a little squeak from time to time from the pads but that's alway typical with harder pads. I think next go round I may consider the 460 front caliper and rotor mod. Just to give it a little more stopping power.

They are still going strong. Getting a little squeak from time to time from the pads but that's alway typical with harder pads. I think next go round I may consider the 460 front caliper and rotor mod. Just to give it a little more stopping power.

How would you rate these over OEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom