Tie rods and front end dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI everyone, Got a problem and haven’t figured it out yet. Bought a set of tie rods to replace the 5 on my front end. Problem is none of the tie rods match. I’m fairly confident the ones I bought from Specter are the correct ones. All the tie rods currently on my 1972 FJ40 are too small in every way. Diameter of threaded portion too small, front passenger side tie rod too short in length also.

Overall it appeared all stock, no power steering. Disc brake conversion is in place if that helps.

Anyone familiar with what a popular replacement or modification might be? Obviously the owner before me at some point made some changes? Just trying to figure out if I can find the proper tie rods somewhere or if I need to replace a lot more. Trying to do minimal work at this point.

I uploaded some photos. Thanks for any help!

0127E98A-1260-4E19-A184-1869737EE802.jpeg

099AB86B-7B84-4DCC-91B8-120F14167EB0.jpeg

56AB2D4C-9112-4444-B0C9-3B05D7623736.jpeg

1E68275F-74D8-4BEF-BA73-60D9AE9EFB2A.jpeg

B4DFA6DA-4770-4A72-A422-8B374C06F1F4.jpeg

first you need to see what disc brake or axle you have .the newer axles and or disc setups use bigger tres just my 02

I see Spector lists the same p/n thru '83. I haven't messed with OEM TRE's for years, but this doesn't seem correct.

the small diameter rods should have a 17mm thread . The Tie rod is larger at 21mm. There could be some truck components but it's hard to tell in a photo. Could be anything. I've seen a lot of junkyard fixes. I don't remember in the last thirty years a "popular" rod end swap.
They just aren't that expensive to warrant developing an alternative only to not sell enough to be worthwhile.

My hunch is that your relay rod coming down from the center arm is ok, but that your main steering rod has been swapped. That passenger side main rod end has too much shank between the ball stud and where the relay connects. More like an early mini truck.

"If" they used mini truck knuckles and steering arms for the disc conversion they "may have" used the mini truck tie rod. The steering arms have the later (post '79) large bolt pattern on the bearing caps and a larger taper bore than the 40 series arms. Shims are available to reuse the 40 series ends with the mini truck steering arms.
HTH,
Will

"If" they used mini truck knuckles and steering arms for the disc conversion they "may have" used the mini truck tie rod. The steering arms have the later (post '79) large bolt pattern on the bearing caps and a larger taper bore than the 40 series arms. Shims are available to reuse the 40 series ends with the mini truck steering arms.
HTH,
Will

I think you’re on to something there Will. If the installer didn’t know about the tapered shims, they may well have concluded that they HAD to use the mini truck rod and ends.

The 4plus tie rod weld in pieces would be a fix. Aren't there 6 ends? And the shims. Upgrade from a stock tie rod that is not there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom