The SwampDonkey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so as I approach 2 years owning this cruiser I guess i should have a place to compile all the pictures and upgrades I have been slowly adding to this truck.
I always thought it looked a bit like a moose...tall, gangling, kind of awkward. Then I heard the term swamp donkey and thus a name was born.

Anyways to those who don't know I purchased this "1981 BJ60" from a guy in Chilliwack who had owned it as a BJ60 for years, when the rust got too much to bear he picked up a 1988 FJ62 from California which had been stoved into a ditch while being imported. The engine, transmission and a few other goodies including the hood, passenger fender, grill and a couple doors were plucked from the BJ60 and swapped into the FJ62 donor. It sits on HJ61 Full float axles sprung over to complete the frankenstein truck.

What it came with:
Spring over conversion
4:56 gears
3b diesel
H42 4 speed transmission
Bumper with 8274 warn winch
37" Goddyear MTR tires
ARB Snorkel
Collapsible shot glass in center console

The New Goods
Custom Rock Sliders
Crossover High Steer
Muffler and Exhaust
HID Headlights w/6000k bulbs
Rebuilt Knuckles w/yukon seals and Chromoly Longfields
ARB Simpson iii RTT
Custom Rear Bumper
37x12.5r17 Goodyear MTR/k on steel wheels

Engine Work
New HP oil lines (after near catastrophic failure)
Radiator Hoses
Starter
Water Pump
Adjusted Valves
and many oil changes
Manual Kill cord (fried edic)

Looking to better this truck in all ways in the time I have it. Shooting for a more adventure ready, weekend exploring, camping machine.

some pictures...

the day it came home from the mainland
004.JPG

Needing roofracks...and so it begins
017.JPG

fresh from the car wash
IMG_0126.JPG

sliders on and 2 more roofracks
IMG_5182.JPG

how it essentially sits these days
IMAG0982.jpg

So how are those bumpers coming along?

Thanks! Oh it's comin, slowly as always

Adequate ?
Phew...I don't have to bail off the highway if I see you coming now..:flipoff2:

Looking good tho, I like the bumper, doing a tire carrier too?

Funny, I sometimes refer to the bullfrogs in the pond as swamp donkeys. Kinda sound like donkeys. Then I shoot them.:hillbilly:

Phew...I don't have to bail off the highway if I see you coming now..:flipoff2:

Looking good tho, I like the bumper, doing a tire carrier too?

Funny, I sometimes refer to the bullfrogs in the pond as swamp donkeys. Kinda sound like donkeys. Then I shoot them.:hillbilly:

Yup have a sleeve welded in each side for carriers

Some prep work that was done prior to installing the crossover steering kit I got from @Rigpig. Chem cleaned, bead blasted and painted arms and painted rods. Had to re taper the pitman arm, luckily I had one kicking around so I drilled it out to 1" and dropped in a tapered insert for the GM 1ton ends I bought from RuffStuff Specialties. Had it TIG'd up at work. A quick bead blast and spray bomb and we're set.

The kits went in nicely but I will have to move the shocks as they are so far behind the axles, the new steering arms bash Into them not only denting them but worsening my turning radius
IMAG0884.jpg
IMAG1735.jpg
IMAG1736.jpg
IMAG1737.jpg
IMAG1741.jpg

Here's a little project I've been picking away at that I finished a couple weeks ago. Picked up a spare shroud from @seapotato a while back. I got it cut in half and shortened 3" (for a future inter cooler). An dip in some acid and a blast plus a paint job and it's looking good as new

IMAG1118.jpg
IMAG1119.jpg
IMAG1120.jpg
IMAG1224.jpg
IMAG1226.jpg

Tig welding is a little overkill on that pitman arm, little island JB Weld and your good:hillbilly:

That bumper is so well done, seen it in person and the guys does amazing work for the price... And one heck of a clean frame for a 60 series in Canada...

Tig welding is a little overkill on that pitman arm, little island JB Weld and your good:hillbilly:

That bumper is so well done, seen it in person and the guys does amazing work for the price... And one heck of a clean frame for a 60 series in Canada...

very happy with it no doubt! and it helps having the frame come from the south!

tig was available, free and professionally done soooooooo why not

Nice looking truck! Funny, my old 60 and yours are so similar. My truck's name was "Donkey". Just Donkey. It smelled bad, made a lot of noise, wasn't very fast but she was a loyal steed that always got you where you need to get, just like a donkey.

Keep up the good work.

Nice looking truck! Funny, my old 60 and yours are so similar. My truck's name was "Donkey". Just Donkey. It smelled bad, made a lot of noise, wasn't very fast but she was a loyal steed that always got you where you need to get, just like a donkey.

Keep up the good work.

thanks man! expect the odd question from time to time haha

Todays big thing were tires. They came 2 months early and I couldnt be more pleased...the old ones had me worried ever since the blowout. the old tires were from 2007 and were showing their age no doubt. 37x12.50r17 Goodyear MTR/k on 17x9 wheel with a 3.5" backspacing. The shop offered me an interesting way of balancing them, they threw in balancing beads inside the tire. I'd never heard of them but after looking them up it made sense. no hammered on weights messing up my brand new rims.

13466035_10209532778420699_6519246874147565690_n.jpg
tires 2.jpg
13406901_10209532778860710_5813346858083660871_n.jpg
13435385_10209532779020714_4443392408992906634_n.jpg
13413006_10209532778580703_4377412725666081532_n.jpg

OK haven't driven much on the new tires but all of a sudden I'm getting some speed wobble around 60 sometimes. Requires me to brake down to 2ND to stop it. What could this be? Thinking leaf spring bushings as they looks pretty shot
New steering setup and the steering dampener felt good when I reinstalled it. The steering box is a bit sloppy but it's always been that way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom