The "Nowhere Else to Put This Insane Crap" thread NEPTIC (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don’t know that it’s fact, but it doesn’t seem far fetched to assume there are a limited number of satellites to support the population in those areas, but the service has been operational for a while. At this time they may not be able to support more load on the network. You may not be able to sign up currently but I see friends and lake Anna Facebook groups that have the service. Some have mentioned signing up for the beta years ago.

I see those maps above and the darker areas are where the population is denser, not that the satellites don’t exist.

Writing this from BFE South Carolina using Hughes Net. It's finally time to ditch them (stupid contract penalties) for the cable company that my wife somehow didn't bother to know existed last year when we bought this house at the lake and she signed us up for utilities (there's even a cable box in our yard at the street!). I've been using my 2 bars of Verizon cellular as a hotspot for everything possible ever since. Can't get the TV to link to it, so it's slim pickings for TV apps that can handle the stupidly slow speeds of Hughes Net. A 30 minute show on Netflix typically takes 40-45 minutes to watch, but that's better than some of the other apps that time out on the login screen.

This is from a short time ago tonight and is one of the best I've seen so far over a year for upload which is normally around 6. Download is around average. Crystal clear sky tonight. Not sure why it says UNC Chapel Hill - I'm 175 miles from there as the crow flies.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 12.28.41 AM.png

Writing this from BFE South Carolina using Hughes Net. It's finally time to ditch them (stupid contract penalties) for the cable company that my wife somehow didn't bother to know existed last year when we bought this house at the lake and she signed us up for utilities (there's even a cable box in our yard at the street!). I've been using my 2 bars of Verizon cellular as a hotspot for everything possible ever since. Can't get the TV to link to it, so it's slim pickings for TV apps that can handle the stupidly slow speeds of Hughes Net. A 30 minute show on Netflix typically takes 40-45 minutes to watch, but that's better than some of the other apps that time out on the login screen.

This is from a short time ago tonight and is one of the best I've seen so far over a year for upload which is normally around 6. Download is around average. Crystal clear sky tonight. Not sure why it says UNC Chapel Hill - I'm 175 miles from there as the crow flies.

View attachment 3019663

The starlink coverage map is showing SC starting to open up. It might be worth the gamble for you to order the equipment and see if it works.

Best thing is no contract or cancellation fees. Data is a lot faster when it only has to go 340 miles to LEO (Starlink) vs 22,500 miles to GEO (Hughes Net).

View attachment 3019663

19mb/s download is plenty to stream a 1080p show. That should only take up ~5mb/s. I run 25 up/down on FiOS and have never needed any more, even for the rare 4k show I watch (~20mb/s).

People who buy gig (1000 mb/s) download speed Internet are comically foolish. There's absolutely nothing you can do from your home that could fully take advange of that kind of bandwidth.

19mb/s download is plenty to stream a 1080p show. That should only take up ~5mb/s. I run 25 up/down on FiOS and have never needed any more, even for the rare 4k show I watch (~20mb/s).

People who buy gig (1000 mb/s) download speed Internet are comically foolish. There's absolutely nothing you can do from your home that could fully take advange of that kind of bandwidth.
agreed. i have 100/100 from Verizon b/c they keep up'ing me "for free" from the 15/15 I signed up for originally. I practically have a datacenter in my basement with the lowest internet speed, yet nearly everyone i know is signed up for 1000...."b/c streaming". i do have multiple hard-wired access points deployed at my house to ensure each wifi device is getting 100+ connections.

I stopped explaining the actual bandwidth needs for a Netflix show, or Zoom call, or why Wifi extenders and mesh networks tend to be crap to people a long time ago. i found no one wanted my input anyways....and its not my money after all.

its possible that the satellite link is unstable and the speed fluctuates or connection drops out enough, emptying the buffer.

I have gigabit because anything slower actually costs more money for me. I called verizon to save money and anything slower was between $20-40 more a month 🤷‍♂️

its possible that the satellite link is unstable and the speed fluctuates or connection drops out enough, emptying the buffer.
"Emptying the buffer". That sounds about right. Sounds dirty, too.

Hughesnet has been out to "test" my junk and said everything was well within spec. I later complained enough about the relative unusability of the mess that they replaced every component and wire. No improvement. They don't want to pay attention to me actually trying to use the network after they install and test it; they just run their connectivity tests and pack up, telling me that any trouble must be on my devices. 5 yr old TV, 1 yr old TV, brand new laptop, 2 yr old laptop, old and new phones...doesn't matter to them, seems it's always my fault. I'm just tired of this being the slowest internet service I've ever had since 1998. I'll be glad to see it go when I'm back down there next time and can schedule the cable install. Gimme a few weeks then check back here for more ranting about the new service!;)

"Emptying the buffer". That sounds about right. Sounds dirty, too.

Hughesnet has been out to "test" my junk and said everything was well within spec. I later complained enough about the relative unusability of the mess that they replaced every component and wire. No improvement. They don't want to pay attention to me actually trying to use the network after they install and test it; they just run their connectivity tests and pack up, telling me that any trouble must be on my devices. 5 yr old TV, 1 yr old TV, brand new laptop, 2 yr old laptop, old and new phones...doesn't matter to them, seems it's always my fault. I'm just tired of this being the slowest internet service I've ever had since 1998. I'll be glad to see it go when I'm back down there next time and can schedule the cable install. Gimme a few weeks then check back here for more ranting about the new service!;)

And it’s not just the extreme latency of bouncing data 22,500 miles up to GEO, back down, all the ground hops, back up again, then back down, for over 100K miles of travel per data packet. It’s the data caps, the throttling, the additional data fees, the cancellation fees, the contracts, the third party outsourcing, the offshored tech support, etc. So glad there’s an alternative for rural users emerging.

Starlink charges a $25 "portability" fee. Which is complete rubbish.
And they just raised the monthly feee.

It's not a panacea.

History buffs - Sarah's grandfather is being honored in DC on Monday at the Navy Memorial for a wreath laying ceremony commemorating the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Midway. He's 99 years old and served on the USS Enterprise from 1941 through the end of the war. Most of his time was spent as Yeoman or Yeoman Chief on the bridge, so he saw everything from an impressive perch. His mind is still sharper than many of us and he's full of stories that continue to keep him busy as an interview subject for History Channel shows and others. Google Willard Norberg to see some of the stuff he's been featured on.

I know some of you will be interested in watching the live stream of this event, and I apologize for the lateness of this posting but I was only recently made aware of the fact it would be streamed. Sadly, though my wife will be there, I'll be 30 minutes away at an unrelated appointment that cannot be rescheduled!

Here's the link: Home - https://navymemorial.swoogo.com/midway-80

Was ordering 6 snap rings and washers from McGeorge. Total just over $6...plus $14.50 shipping to NOVA. Nope.

Went to Miller Toyota in Mensasses. After tax...$21.50. I hate not having a local dealer up here that doesn't discount parts.

Yeah I went to order a sway bar bushing bracket since mine has been flattened by rocks, the shipping hurt. Now I’m getting that bracket and everything to overhaul the rear brakes. Maybe that’s their sales strategy?

I didn't think I'd want to get a job up here but they seem to be specifically requesting my skill set at the HD in Gainesville and it's too far of a commute for @76FJ40 to beat me in the interview process...

IMG_5184.jpeg

Was ordering 6 snap rings and washers from McGeorge. Total just over $6...plus $14.50 shipping to NOVA. Nope.

Went to Miller Toyota in Mensasses. After tax...$21.50. I hate not having a local dealer up here that doesn't discount parts.
I love having McGeroge just down the road from me and they deliver twice a day! Sad thing is they have my CC on file!

I love having McGeroge just down the road from me and they deliver twice a day! Sad thing is they have my CC on file!

I wonder if civilians like me get McGeorge online prices if I walked up to the counter. I assume not. Conicelli Toyota used to have the option to buy online then pick up in person therefore getting the good online pricing. I've not seen that anywhere else though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom