The IronPig UZJ-55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ran about 100 miles today.
New oil change blend of Mobil 0w-40 and high mileage 5w-30 synthetics.
No starting issues after pumping in the fresh gas and a bottle of injector cleaner.

Temp @ 55mph hoovered around 195F; @ 65mph it climbed to 199-201F.

Also came across a local in a V8 350 FJ40 while driving home. A little racing down Gunter Ave. 😎
That 40 was quick!

Gonna keep driving it this week. My mom flies in to BHM Wed. Will be another good round trip to dust off the cobwebs.

20201018_181309.jpg

Got the CDL controls in the truck. Drive it up here to burn out some more of that old gas and we'll finish wiring it up.

I poked around Ryan's old threads and it looks like there's supposed to be a thermostatic switch in that fan circuit (as there should've been) - you'll want that back in-line. Even better would be to put some type of IGBT driver/controller in there so that fan isn't buzzing along at full blast unnecessarily and wrecking that exhaust note. He seems to have run that truck all over the west with the current cooling package, so maybe we watch those temps a little longer before trying to make fan changes.

Park that LS and keep putting some miles on the pig for a while. The dust on the windshield in that pic is tear jerking.

For reference later

1603396105203.png

Truck died a block from the house yesterday. Luckily it cranked and got me back to the house.
Acted like it was out of gas but still showed 1/2 a tank. Gauge may be broken. Will dump some more gas in with some more fuel treatment and see if it runs any better.

Washing it now so Zach doesn't shed anymore tears 😭

20201024_113552.jpg

Popped the top of the access cover for the tank to see if there's any gas in the tank. Not happy about it being offset for the screw access so I gave up for now. Dumped 10 more gallons in with stabil and some fuel treatment.

Ran it for ~30 mins down the highway. No issues so I think I'm dealing with a gas gauge issue.

Now, I need to tackle the fan. 14" and not designed for the correct airflow.

20201025_135459.jpg

20201025_143652.jpg

Zach helped me get the CDL switch online. Dude is getting deep in the Japanese knowledge of the 80 locker parts. Needs to do some tech write ups.

Ran trails all weekend. Had a blast at VDR 2020.
Gas leak is next on the list.
Then a bigger cooling fan.

IMG_20201109_191822_764.jpg

IMG_5552.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

20201107_144720.jpg

New shoes in the work

20210102_163330.jpg

Check the tank. It is a stock tank that IPO extended and then lined with POR 15 fuel tank liner. It is entirely possible this lining is failing and plugging the fuel pump causing your fuel starvation issues.

As for the over heating, it is a Ron Davis radiator, the fan wiring kit had both a 180f and 195f thermostat. I would make sure it is kicking on at 180f

The truck originally had Krawlers on it, I prefer this look. Ha.

Looks like the spray paint, paint job my wife and I did on Valentines day isn't holding up too well. lol.

Additionally since you’re tidying things up. You will want to maybe take a look at the front suspension. My friend Jon Jurlando and I did the front 3 link and he passed away before it was finished. There needs to be bumpstop pads fabricated for the front axle as the bumpstops don’t hit anything as they are now.

RIP Jon Buddy.

7C0AEF8F-4185-46E6-888D-AAAAC5B83B1D.jpeg

Out with the old fan and in with the new.
Old fan was a pusher wired backwards.
No thermal switching.

This SPAL will be a nice upgrade and bolts right on to the shroud. Should pull almost 2000 CFM.
Plus, I'm going to wire directly to the battery now, since it can pull up to 25A.
The RD harness is super nice.
Worth the extra coin if going with an electric fan.

20210129_094133.jpg

20210129_095114.jpg

Taking the electrical slow on this install since I suck at it. Grounding on the frame where it's tucked up and out of the way.

20210129_160928.jpg

Relay box mounted. Ditched a horn in it's place ☺️ Next, is wiring to the AC to auto start fan with the AC on and a fuse to the blue sea box.

20210129_161539.jpg

New thermo sensor is in. Time to celebrate.

The passenger side radiator hose is too close for comfort.
I'll trim the hose a bit more to move away from the pulley and ordered some gorilla sleeve in case the truck flexes and moves that hose back toward the pulley. It's abrasion resistant.
Custom radiator hose jig saw puzzles are fun🙄

At VDR 2020, I had a loose engine mount (unknown all weekend) that let the radiator hose move in to the pulley. Very lucky the hose didn't split until I was in the garage back home.

Wheel, Repair, Repeat!

20210130_155743.jpg

20210130_173855.jpg

Nice work sir. The pig will be running as cool as a cucumber now.

Nice work sir. The pig will be running as cool as a cucumber now.
I hope so.
Waiting on this last piece of the project to come in and then refill the coolant for a test run. Figured orange will match the rack lights 😎

I hope so.
Waiting on this last piece of the project to come in and then refill the coolant for a test run. Figured orange will match the rack lights 😎

Glad my suggestion was fruitful. Or maybe you were on that path before my suggestion.

Glad my suggestion was fruitful. Or maybe you were on that path before my suggestion.
Definitely took your recommendation.
I think this stuff will be a little more heavy duty.

The radiator hose was a CF. But this little 90 made life easier and it's driving good.

Also, mounted the Krawlers. Some ring bolts broke during disassembly. FYI, these beadlocks need maintenance every few years.

In the end it's got new shoes and the spring adventure starts.

20210301_181419.jpg

20210310_104242.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom