The IronPig UZJ-55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nottajeep

Enemies of the State
SILVER Star
Threads
As discussed, I am starting a thread so we can get this thing back out of the pig pen.
Bought this truck in 2015 from Zack Penny based on word of mouth from Mike Blake.
Truck was built and had some electric bugs to work out. As a matter of fact, it blew a fuse and died on my test drive at BP.
Next test drive, the power steering locked up. I test drove it for a few weeks or months. Can't remember exactly how long, but actually wheeled it at Stoney Lonesome at the first ever 70 series meet up. There was no going back at that point.

So, I stubbornly persisted with opening the wallet for a beautiful Dec 1970 FJ55 that was making my head spin.

Based on internets research, these are the specs I have been able to gather:
This is the mod list:
2004 Tundra TRD Supercharged 4.7L V8
2002 A343F Lexus LX470 Transmission
1997 FJ80 Fulltime Transfer Case
Ron Davis Aluminum Radiator, with electric fans, and wired thermostat switch
High Angle dual CV drive shafts front and rear
1997 FZJ80 Electric lock axles re geared to 4.88
Bobby Long Superset up front birfields and shafts
Poly Performance chromo rear shafts
Fox 2.5" coilover shocks 3" Fox air bumps
All links were built with 4130 heat treated chromo from Polyperformance
Suspension links are all the largest Johnny Joints greasable
Steering links are all 3/4" FK teflon lined heim joints
Front bumper is 4+
Winch is an 8274-50
Steering is all stock late 60/62 gearbox and filler
Dual core electric fan transmission cooler (don't remember the make)
Ironpig Offroad custom skid plate
Ironpig Offroad custom trackbar
Ironpig Offroad custom rear bumper
Bilstein 7100 12 SB rear shocks
Extended fuel tank
New headliner from SOR
Front seats from Procar
Center Console from Tuffy
Switch Panel from 12V guy
Haneline gauges
New glass and window weather stripping from Toyota - windshield, cargo's, rear door
Wheels Walker Evans 17x9 with 37" Krawlers

FB_IMG_1483756123818.jpg
20150925_181145.jpg
20150925_181617.jpg

Last edited:
70-series meet up in Sept 2015
12039226_10153627138478838_715144050113715682_n.jpg

20150926_113555.jpg

Last edited:
added a roof rack from gamaviti with some led lights and orange covers

20170804_125209.jpg

20170804_125230.jpg

Last edited:
found out the center diff motor is locked full time and killing the birfs.
installed a marlin transfer case gear reduction.
hit some trails and no 4wd. had to winch over all kinds of small stuff.
this is the current problem I am working.

20170128_123750.jpg

20170128_123815.jpg

20170128_123819.jpg

20170128_123958.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

Last edited:

So in my stupidity I have to ask, what is the request here? You wanting some help to get her rolling and running good or trying to sell her off?
no stupid question:hillbilly: but I ain't selling. The guys and I were just drinking beer/bourbon last night and decided to get a thread up. Gonna do some wrenching together soon.

That list is a good start. Let us know when we can come by, @jasonbraswell.

Are the ECMs (engine, trans, center diff) from the same respective years as what they control?

Last edited:
I bookmarked some post above to add more info. Let me find that dang switch and then I'll be ready:hmm::grinpimp:

I think its toast... burn it down... or I'll trade you some fine cookies for your brick... :cookie:;)
Bring your 80, the wife, the next 40 and some cash

This pig is so damn cool, and I wanna see it on the trails...so yeah, you guys pull together and figure it out! I know you can.

I'd offer to help, but I'll be watching from my couch (in Florida). :hillbilly:

- Brian

This pig is so damn cool, and I wanna see it on the trails...so yeah, you guys pull together and figure it out! I know you can.

I'd offer to help, but I'll be watching from my couch (in Florida). :hillbilly:

- Brian

Apply your research skills and brain power....find us all the pin outs and schematics and tells us what to fix..😎 I’m best when hitting things with hammers!🔨💣🍺

That list is a good start. Let us know when we can come by, @jasonbraswell.

Are the ECMs (engine, trans, center diff) from the same respective years as what they control?

I'll be spending a fair chunk of tomorrow in airports, so let's see those controller years. I'll get some mapping done.

New battery and some air in the tires.
Gave the pig a good run.
Ready to start working the 4wd issues again.
Also, Zach and I engaged a connector down by the tranny.
Truck dies if I move shifter to park, reverse, drive, etc. (restarts in either of these :meh: )

Regardless, it was a nice day to get the pig outta bed and in the sun.

20200208_153714.jpg

Great times shaking dirty hands and seeing everyone's smiling faces. I smiled all the way driving the 🐖.
Running a little hot up monte sano with 250F.
Zach and I are going to explore some radiator fan options with Ron Davis folks. Next is to work on some CDL wiring. Good to run this beaach up and down the road today.

20200528_195322.jpg

20200528_221827.jpg

@Zjohnsonua and I got into the pig some Saturday. Rear locker was gunked up with crud and half way hanging on. So it's cleaned and the magnets are reset with gorilla glue. Front locker cycles good.
Got some wiring set for center diff. Need to pick up the relay box from an 80. Thanks for letting us grab one Rory!

Having some cold start issues with it not firing right up. Takes several cranks. Almost like the fuel isn't priming. Could be old gas or a fuel pump.

Put in 10 gals non-ethanol and some injector cleaner. Will put some miles on it today and this week to see if the starting issue goes away with fresh gas.

If everything works out good, I should have it on the trail for Veterans Day Run.

IMG_20201018_120843_730.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom