The Bicycle Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love bikes - have a full bike shop in my garage.

I rode a Hutch back in the day, saved up for 2 years to buy that bike from Rockville BMX when I was 13. I loved that bike. . I was mostly a flatland freestyle kid but also rode pipes and ramps. Having that bike got me a job in a bike store - hung out in one stating in 6th grade - then got on the payroll all through HS and college then PT until I was 30 - put 15 years in the bike biz. I really enjoyed that. Rode Fat Chance bikes for the most part with a few Yeti's mixed it. The bike store put me through college, paid for my car and I made many life long friends working there.

These days I ride a Surly Troll and a Salsa El Mariachi but I am about to sell both of those and get a Jones - I need the upright seating position for a bad disc.

Jonny Vee - why didn't you overhaul the bike yourself? Shop rate on an overall is $$$$

Kulangot, if you're getting a Jones, will it be steel or titanium :) Just the Jones titanium H-bars are $400.

JohnVee, do the work yourself. I would rather pay $50 for a nice tools, a six pack, a few hours, and new found knowledge on how to fix a bike than pay a bike shop $200+ for them to "tune it" and screw something up. I've had to redo the bike shop work 50% of the time and they usually add some additional character to the paint or components because they are in such a hurry.

Lumbee1 - I'm gonna get the steel version

It's gonna be about $3500 bucks! Ouch! I've got a "worn out disc" what ever that means so I need to sit up more. I might try some cruiser bars on my Surly first before I cough up that much cash.

I'm with you on the DIY - when it comes to anything that I can do myself I'll do it if possible - any excuse possible to get a new tool. When I bought my bike I asked for it in the box!

The guy looked at my sideways and I explained that I had to build it if I was gonna ride it.

I grew up in a lower middle class family and I was the youngest of three. As a result, until I was able to start my grass cutting business at 13, I almost always had hand-me-downs.

My first bike was made with mostly Schwinn parts. Bikes were expensive and as I recall the story, my dad had the local bike shop piece together a bike for me using various parts. Finally, after the seat could not be raised any further (we'd swapped our for a longer seat post at some point), I rode my brother's sweet Schwinn Lemon Peeler (with speedometer!) for a couple years. It was replaced when Santa brought me a Webco similar to the one shown below. At some point I added black and white checkerboard pads. I rode it until I foreclosed on my brother and took his Schwinn Traveler III 10-speed, similar to the one shown below, which I would ride all across Winston-Salem. I eventually ended up riding a Trek 820 in college. It was stolen in the mid 1990's.

I'm in need of a bike to replace it and could use some help finding a local used one on Craigslist. If you're willing to help me sort through what is out there (or have one you'd consider selling), PM me. I could use all the help I can get.

Banana.jpg
webco.jpg

Schwinn.jpg

Somebody mentioned Matt Hoffman... I wanted one of his Condors when he started Hoffman Bikes, but I didn't need it and couldn't afford it. Now I'm just too fat and broken for a 20". BUT, I did buy a Hoffman for the bicycle donation last year. Much lower model down the food chain, though.

Speaking of fat, the last 20" I owned was a Specialized Fatboy that I rescued from the trash pile around 2003 in excellent condition. Stared at it for a couple years and kept it clean before giving it away.

A cherry Lemon Peeler with 5 speed and handle shifter (as pictured) is literally worth thousands now. Forget a new bike. Go find that Lemon Peeler!

Oooo! I just noticed the one in the picture has the rear disc brake too. Man...what a fantastic bike! I have a couple of re-pops but they are garbage compared to the original Krate bikes. Do want!

David, what kind of bike are you looking for? Road, Mountain, or Hybrid?

The Condor! Mat Hoffman was the man. He made a movie a few years ago about his obsession with breaking the vert record. It was on Netflix, might still be... Sort of painful to watch all of the pain that the guy endured with all of his injuries throughout his life.

For sale on CL in case anyone has an itch that needs scratching.

image.jpg

Sorry for being vague. I'd like to find a relatively inexpensive but well-made mountain bike in good working condition.
How inexpensive is inexpensive? Dedicated bikers scour Craigslist like vultures. I used to watch Craigslist for bike deals but didn't have the time or patience. There are several well made new bikes on the market you might consider rather than picking up something used with an unknown history. BTW, frame cracks are easy to hide and very hard to find.

This showed up on Woot.
Sorrento Mountain Bike 27.5'' Wheels - $259.99 + $5 standard shipping
It's probably got some really s***ty parts on it but the frame is good.

How inexpensive is inexpensive? Dedicated bikers scour Craigslist like vultures. I used to watch Craigslist for bike deals but didn't have the time or patience. There are several well made new bikes on the market you might consider rather than picking up something used with an unknown history. BTW, frame cracks are easy to hide and very hard to find.

This showed up on Woot.
Sorrento Mountain Bike 27.5'' Wheels - $259.99 + $5 standard shipping
It's probably got some really s***ty parts on it but the frame is good.

PM sent and thanks!

Bikes like that always reminded me of the guitars that were popular with hair bands.

Hell yeah on the Schoolbus! Good camper makeover material right there!

Oh yeah. Tennesse cruisers sticker. Not what I thought it would be. But the twisted spokes were a nice touch.
image.jpeg

The Condor! Mat Hoffman was the man. He made a movie a few years ago about his obsession with breaking the vert record. It was on Netflix, might still be... Sort of painful to watch all of the pain that the guy endured with all of his injuries throughout his life.

"30 for 30: The Birth of Big Air" is the name of that. Typical stupid modern MTV-style documentary but excellent subject matter! Just watched it for the first time. I dug the background bikes during the interviews - Haro Freestyler, Skyway, etc. And EDDIE FIOLA!

"30 for 30: The Birth of Big Air" is the name of that. Typical stupid modern MTV-style documentary but excellent subject matter! Just watched it for the first time. I dug the background bikes during the interviews - Haro Freestyler, Skyway, etc. And EDDIE FIOLA!
Eddie Fiola! That dude was all over the movie "Rad". He was Cru's stunt double for most of the free styling scenes. He and Martin Aparijo. I freely admit that I was obsessed with that movie.

Thanks, found in on Netflix and watched it last night. Brought back a LOT of memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom