The Bacon & Blue Cheese Express ( AKA The Camping Truck) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay so while the 55 is getting some body work done, I somehow managed to convince my mum to make some seat covers. The back seat is nearly done and here's a progress shot.
View attachment 2571407
The pattern is Native Australian Banksia. Anyway, should look good with the Pueblo, and save the back of our legs from 2nd degree burns. Its not going to be to everyone's tastes granted, but then I'm not building another white Prado.
They'd give the white prado some life though! Any progress is progress.

seat crop.jpg

Finished rear seat.

Dropped some gear off to Rough to Tough Cruisers today and got a bit of an update.
IMG_4595.JPG

Disc brake swap is nearly complete. Idler box needs going through and a few other odds and sods to sort out like tie rod ends and brake lines. The feedback from Gerry was that the drums could be the originals, no signs of been machined and all the axle parts looked in great condition.
IMG_4548.JPG
IMG_4549.JPG

Justin has been chipping away at the rust in the roof as well.

Last edited:
As "Dirty" Harry Calahan once said, " A mans got to know his limitations!".

I certainly do, and this was definitely an area I was happy to farm out.
152541331_196696902201241_9058154894161763517_n.jpg
152541328_261308692034982_7200316861880583513_n.jpg
152333515_1781151318713882_6666674663676859749_n.jpg
150998005_484485189216126_4971014739994653056_n.jpg
152200171_801595024036274_9178254705543867772_n.jpg

The guys @rough2tough are doing a much better job than I ever could and much quicker, helped out with a donor cut from Mr Landcruiser.

Hopefully the sound and heat stuff for the roof arrives this week and the headliner can be re fitted and windows re-installed.

Also have a bunch of bends and stuff to make up a more permanent exhaust.

Question: Is there any improvement/reduction in heat transfer in getting the headers ceramic coated on a 2F?

WOW nice work

So what do you do when the government calls a 3 day Covid lockdown? Pig stuff!!!

IMG_4796.JPG

I've been removing the dried out old adhesive from the roof and noticed a little bit of surface rust under the jute on the support ribs. Knowing now was the best time to do it, and if I didn't it would bug me, I pulled the support bows, cleaned them up and am in the process of replacing the jute with a closed cell foam that has an adhesive on one side. I've used this stuff on heater box rebuilds and it seems to hold up. I've stuck it to the rib with 3M weatherstrip adhesive and will use the foam adhesive to the roof.

If it helps anyone, to remove the dried adhesive I ended up using a 50mm wood chisel to scrape off the bulk. I tried a variety of cleaning products including acetone and paint stripper, but they resulted in more mess than i was happy with and I still needed to wire wheel it. The chisel and wire wheel method was just dusty. Apologies to carpenters and cabinet makers who may be cringing at my misuse of tools, but in this case it was the best tool for the job.

Got a few hours today to finish off the floor.... again. For some reason the white paint didn't bond/adhere to the primer and was peeling off. It was like sunburn, satisfyingly painful to peel away and regrettable at the same time. So this round I'm not going to bother with the white in areas you won't actually see it.

IMG_4837.JPG

Also managed to make a start on the roof with the carbuilders sound deadening. These are the whole sheets and I should fill in the couple of spaces in between, but its already made a huge differance. I got my son to help me with the last few sheets, I figured a 4 year old standing up would be the right height for the job, but the roller wasn't as good as a steam roller as I thought. I like to think this marks turning the corner and starting on the rebuilding.
IMG_4836.JPG

One parting shot, this is the view I come home to, makes me smile and be thankful for the understanding wife that I have. And there's a third car ( BMW 2002) parked inside. Anybody want to buy a FJ45?
IMG_4834.JPG

Wheels arrived this morning! If I get an hour today I'll swap one on and make sure all is good. Plan is to have them painted cygnus white and wrapped in a set of 255/85r16 Yokohamas. They are a one piece 16x7 et-15 rim. The clips are bolted on with a small weld on the end of the bolt. I haven't pushed a cap home yet, but they seem like a good fit.

IMG_5140.JPG
IMG_5139.JPG

In other news I've been slowly chipping away at getting the interior back together so I can get the glass installed.

Progress on the 55 has slowed lately as I try and find my 45 a new home. Last week the clutch return spring decided to vacate the premises during a test drive leaving would be buyer and his wife on the side of the road.... Thankfully it didn't happen on a busy road and I was able to remove the slave and drive the 45 home in second.

But the 55 wheels are off being painted, the windscreen and cargo glass is going in this week, tyres are ordered, springs are ordered, and the front seat is having a cover made.

And I've been chipping away at the interior, and thought I'd share this one. At some point the car has had the dash hacked to fit a head unit. I don't like putting modern stereos on display in older cars and was going to use a 45 style blanking plate, but I found this 80 series plastic cubby hole and with a couple of cuts it fits in snugly behind the control panel. Its large enough to fit a phone in and maybe a wallet.

IMG_5245.JPG
IMG_5246.JPG

I also picked up a free set of tail light lenses and rear orange badge locally that are clearer but one has a small crack in it so may keep them as spares.

After getting messed around by the windscreen guy ( I mean who makes an appointment if they don't know how to do the job?), I bought a new one and had a go at it myself. Eventually got it in with some help from Mrs Sneaky. I've ordered two new windscreen gaskets to chop up and make cargo seals.
IMG_5278.JPG
IMG_5277.JPG

Have also made a start on installing the new seatbelts. When I had the rust work done I got them to install some ADR compliant anchor points into the C pillar for the tension unit to bolt into. They just fit in beside the seat back and will work for my sons ( new) booster seat.

Have also made a start on installing the new seatbelts. When I had the rust work done I got them to install some ADR compliant anchor points into the C pillar for the tension unit to bolt into. They just fit in beside the seat back and will work for my sons ( new) booster seat

Mind sharing some photos of these C pillars bits? Good job doing the windscreen yourself (with the help of Mrs sneaky too of course!)!

IMG_5284.JPG
IMG_5283.JPG

IMG_5285.JPG

Picked up the freshly coated wheels and got 3 out of 5 tyres mounted. Tyre shop called up and let me know that the last two didn't have a valve stem hole, and that they weren't prepared to drill fresh paint. Manufacturer forgot them, so now I have to very carefully do it.

Also found out that due to Covid the springs I've ordered won't be in the country till October. Maybe. So I might give the front some extended shackles to level it out. I have some 45 ones that are marginally longer so might give that a go first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom