The 71’ Piggy that got a 3uzfe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! This will serve as a slow burning resto-mod for a 71’ FJ55 I’ve recently acquired. My first build centered around a 77’ pickup that currently has a 1uz v8 with 4x4 5speed. In the spirit of that build this little piggy will be receiving similar treatment. Currently, the rig has the following...

-spring over suspension conversion
-“high steer” extended steering (needs immediate replacement)
-36” military bias ply tires
-Aftermarket off-road front and rear bumpers
-Warn winch and front LED flood light
-original drivetrain and braking system
-original electrical system

What it’ll be receiving...

-2003 vvti 4.3l 3uzfe v8
-a650 5speed auto trans
-t100 transfer case adapted for a650
-custom engine loom with additional engine management (link typhoon and digital read out)
-1 ton running gear (14 bolt FF rear and Dana 60 HP king pin front with width reduction/passenger drop + lockers)
-high steer kit with adapted Saginaw power steering box
-custom 3 link front end with leaf springs retained in rear + anti wrap bar
-35” ProComp extremes
-disc brakes all around

The hopes is that this will serve as our family cruiser for years to come, thus the reason for a fuel injected V8 and tons. I want low drive train wear on oversized parts so I’m not dumping cash into it once it’s built. The engine and auto will also receive a full service to ensure reliability.
After two long multi month 6k mile road trips in our Hilux we’re also tired of the ever reliable leaf spring. I’d love to drive down a washed out road and not feel like the dash is going to vibrate out into my lap. This build should solve these problems and prove to be a capable wheeler for our weekend adventures. It’s also another unique vehicle to add to our fleet and make into our dream car. Looking forward to sharing and getting input from the community 🍻

2273D601-B434-4986-A883-416A2D766C0E.jpeg

E0ADE8C6-5D82-475E-99ED-8F11A0328B14.jpeg

143E4BA1-B9FD-4F6B-9A8E-32373C5B8330.jpeg

C56D68DF-399C-4F1F-ABD3-60565E677A90.jpeg

3195ADE1-5E2E-4F76-844F-333AA6BF3AB5.jpeg

Welcome.
Is the t100 transfer case passenger drop?

Axle comments:
Is there a "special" reason to link the front? Not something I'd do unless there was a good reason... which leads me to next comment.

FWIW, as short of a lift as you are going to go with for 35"-36" tires, I'd skip the high pinion.

How wide are you going? Taking a Dodge kingpin Dana 60 and knocking off 7" gives you a perfect bolt it 60" WMS axle that will bolt in to stock width front springs... doing something similar(knock 5") with a Chevy version gives you 64". It took me a day to knock an inner C off and weld it back at 7" under.

For the rear, I'd HIGHLY recommend using a Ford e350 van Dana 60. Ultra smooth bottom, factory disc brakes, AND factory emergency brake.

Here is my 55 #1 using the Dodge front, Ford rear dana 60s at 60"WMS and leafs:
View attachment 2488429

FWIW, my third 55 is getting a front linked suspension because it is "difficult" to get sprung under Dana 60 in the front and I'm going for 2" or so lift for 35" tires ;)

@Lil'John definitely has been to this rodeo before, but are you sure you need 1 tons?

That thing is already set up pretty badass! Probably doesn’t ride too bad - not IFS great, but for what you’d realistically do with it, probably not too bad. Motor swap is always a welcomed upgrade (thought this one had a V8 already?).
Could always do some general fixing up and then flip it to help pay for something more silky-smooth and modern.

Thanks for the comments/support/ideas! You guys have given me some things to think about and...
- @Lil’John yes, the case is passenger side drop, requires some basic mods to get them to mate, excited for the challenge. I’m also sold on the Dana 60 combo you suggested. I’ll narrow them to 60”,right where I wanted them anyway. I’ll absolutely hit you up when I start the process for some tips and tricks 😉 I do want to go 3 link front with limited up travel and decent drop, my 4x4 builder buddy Rock Hound Off-road just did one on a 4Runner that tucks 40s and sits at about stock ride height. My wife and I want that modern comfort feel on the road that leafs just can’t provide. I also am using this as testing/proving ground for a kit I’d like to develop for this application.
- @PabloCruise I don’t mind the color for now, it’s the typical rhino liner type so easy to re-coat. Will most likely strip it and make it nice one day. I want to go tons for the same reason @Lil'John expressed, I already have overly expensive built Toyota axles on my truck and am ready for some lower maintenance/less expensive junkyard axles I can transform for cheap. Also, bigger parts mean less wear on the road, this will see many miles.
- @RUSH55 I hope she rides ok but some parts and how things were done have me feeling skeptical so we’ll see. Also, I hate bias plys, I love modern radials!

Unfortunately the first project that needs attention is on my 77’. The rear main has been crying since we hit some trails at Moab a month back, gotta rip her apart first to stop the bleeding.

Interesting @lil’john I like the slider and spring combo. I’ve always considered them but have had limited endorsements to try them, this may be the time. I also like the axle choice combos, might just end up heading in that direction...

At the moment the rigs are in storage and we’re headed down to Costa Rica until early 2021. Once I get this thing to a garage and start assembling parts I’ll let the pictures fly, thanks for all the input 🍻

Interesting @lil’john I like the slider and spring combo. I’ve always considered them but have had limited endorsements to try them, this may be the time. I also like the axle choice combos, might just end up heading in that direction...

At the moment the rigs are in storage and we’re headed down to Costa Rica until early 2021. Once I get this thing to a garage and start assembling parts I’ll let the pictures fly, thanks for all the input 🍻

Can't wait to read more!
Have fun in Costa Rica.

And... a year later we're back with an adjusted plan of attack! We finally grabbed the FJ last weekend and drove it the 170 miles home from WA. It was a labor intensive drive as the home made steering linkage was quite loose and made keeping it in a straight line impossible. The mighty F never faltered and chugged its way home as the rock hard military tires bounced down the road - below 40 mph it sounds like it's shaking every bolt out of itself. I've adjusted my plan to include the following as my wife wants to keep it mild and not wild so we don't feel inclined to crawl it and break things.

-2003 vvti 4.3l 3uzfe v8
-5speed auto trans with adapted transfer case
-FJ60 front axle conversion - gain 3" of width and keep a 9.5" ring gear
-high steer kit with adapted to FJ60 power steering box and hydro assist
-custom 3 link front end with leaf springs retained in rear + anti wrap bar
-35” ProComp xtreme MTR's
-disc brakes all around

I opted out of the custom tons on this one since I'm staying with 35's and the Toyota axles should handle the power no problem. Here's the progress so far, engine is prepped to be removed, front axle/steering components will come out next and then onto repairing the hacked up wiring and restoring the frames paint job. Lot's of random body holes to weld and finish but overall this pig is solid!!!! Frame is mint and the body has limited cancer so this one is looking stellar. Sourcing rubber soon for all of the doors and windows as it sounds like the inside of a wind tunnel at speed.

If anyone is interested in the OEM steering assemblies + engine/trans/transfer case + OEM front axle assembly (complete) please let me know, trying to sell them off as soon as I can to make room for the new goodies.

I'm also looking for an FJ60 complete front axle + fj60 power steering box + lock cylinder/key set for the entire truck - let me know fam! More pictures and progress soon...

Pig in the barn.jpg

Buddies.jpg

Bad wiring.jpg

Steering linkage.jpg

Body Wiring.jpg

F engine.jpg

I almost had to check my work parking lot to make sure my pig was still there.
20211210_091249.jpg

This is weird how similar they are:

Faded flat black paint ✅
after market mirrors✅
missing badges✅
OB badge✅
Black steelies✅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom