TG Longfield gun drilled axle review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To start, I heard a bunch of bad stuff about TG's take over of longfield. Namely Longfield sourced their axles from RCV then heat/cryo treated them in house. Now, it is my understanding TG gets the longfields made in China. They don't have 300M internals, rather 4340 "double" heat treated whatever that means. The warranty isn't quite what it used to be either.

The reason I risked it and tried them out was because I have new Aisin hubs off an '85 pickup on my 1991 FJ80, and hardly anyone makes the shorter stub axles. These have both long and short clip positions, what this means is with these axles you can bolt on '85 mini truck hubs to ANY year 80. They also have the nifty grease zirk making greasing the birf about 100% easier. Finish seems nice, no burrs or scratches to speak of. Packaged well.

I will update this thread if they grenade.

301720-1-KIT_ID_1.jpg

Compared to what was in there. Old near, new TG far side. I don't think my old axles are stock, maybe Marlins?

I don't know if you can see it, but the clip is in the "short" (91-92) position.

Buttoned up, ready to party.

Haven't blown mine yet, but mine didn't have a grease zirk either. I did a screen print when I ordered mine because TG's website said unconditional lifetime gaurantee. The paperwork they sent said limited, but I have proof that when I ordered them I was under the impression they were unconditional lifetime

Why not go directly with RCV .. they certainly have the grease fitting, not sure about the dual clip groove .. and RCV claim those are made in the USA

Why not go directly with RCV .. they certainly have the grease fitting, not sure about the dual clip groove .. and RCV claim those are made in the USA

a) Too long for a '91 with aisin hubs, although I just read you can cut your own shorter clip groove with a cut off wheel and make the longer 94+ axles work.

b) I don't believe they do have the grease fitting, although I'm sure they could add one.

There are two length birfs that people forget to keep in mind:

43405-60120: short, 238.5mm in length. 1991-4/1994.

43405-60070: long, 246.5mm in length 4/1994-1/1998.

The latter will have the ABS ring. The former will not and the former will not accept a ring from a later birf. The ID is completely different and won't work.
Makes sense to refer to the parts with part numbers. Toyota does/RCV/TG all cross reference applications based on those numbers and dates.

I have about 10,000 miles and many wheeling trips on my set of Tg birfs bought the shafts as well 30 spline. The only thing was I bought axle seals from them to and drivers side failed couple weeks ago. Put mr t seals in Tuesday. When I pulled the axles to change seals everything looked fine still no slop in birfs at all.I will buy again when I wear these out

Rcv does the double groove also and zerk

Last edited:
I would assume who ever made the dirty 30 makes them

I would assume whoever makes the dirty 30 makes the re badged long fields

Pretty sure TG did not retain RCV as the manufacturer when they purchased the rights to the Longfield name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom