Tales,Trails and Trials of a (wet) Dream Machine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it quicker to rev with the light weight, balanced rotating assembly?
Any vibes at idle?

Are you able to post a startup video?

Yes, giving it a rev is much snappier and very quiet and smooth Going from 1st to 2nd and into third is a lot quicker and quite. I can’t say enough about how quiet it is since I put the fan clutch in.

At idle you can’t even feel it running.

I tried loading a video that I took with my phone but it didn’t comprehend the file???

Any thoughts

Yes, giving it a rev is much snappier and very quiet and smooth Going from 1st to 2nd and into third is a lot quicker and quite. I can’t say enough about how quiet it is since I put the fan clutch in.

At idle you can’t even feel it running.

I tried loading a video that I took with my phone but it didn’t comprehend the file???

Any thoughts

Text it to me - (901)848-1387

I’ll post it

Amazing...treats that glass of water like it was high end gin or vodka! (Perhaps I shouldn't assume it wasn't.) Good job.

Last edited:
Group buy on pistons and rods!

On a serious note, if anyone has a bonus check coming in and wants a set, give me a shout. Working on an order now and there’s a pretty good lead time. You can do flat or dome piston.

On a serious note, if anyone has a bonus check coming in and wants a set, give me a shout. Working on an order now and there’s a pretty good lead time. You can do flat or dome piston.

What year did the 2F go domed?
These pistons require the new rods, yes?
Did you guys balance the crank as well?

Or I should say, did the crank require any additional balancing?

^ I didn’t build Gordobe’s motor

But the domed were 75-80, flats 81+. Rods are the same.

On the last set of cranks I had balanced, he said the worst one was 14 grams off. A typical set of rods that come out of a factory 2F have a minimum of 14 grams difference between them.

Yes the crank was balanced
I don’t think it was required that I buy new rods. The original rods I had had been ground, shaved, filed and so tampered with that they were over manipulated to be useful. A full set of new ones was not available. Since this is the last engine I plan to build I figured to try and give it the works
The pistons were about $1200 and the rods were about $2300. Ouch ouch ouch

Sorry to take the glamour out of the build

Trip to PP19

I had a week to seat and give it a break in for 600 miles. Took it back to the shop did an oil change and inspected and snagged up all necessary bolts. Then hit the road for PP19.

Very intrepid drive. Had to get used to when to shift because the fan no longer could be heard and I can barely hear the engine. The transmission is now the loudest duck in the pond. I used to tell when to shift by the sound of the fan, but I installed a fan clutch. And it’s like the fan is never on. So I have to watch the tack that is to the let of the steering column just under the dash.

Also installed a digital temp gauge and a digital fuel/air ratio gauge. The warmest the engine got was climbing the grade out of Barstow, it was 105 outside and the engine didn’t go over 209F. Diligently kept the fuel ratio between 13.4 and 14. When I got to altitudes 5500 and up the mixture was 12.6 to 13.2. The rest of the trip the engine temp varied between 175 and 183. Once in awhile I think I would hear the faint sound of the fan ( I think).

The 32” tires increase the speed by 11% but decrease the hp/torque on grades.
On the flats at 3200 the pig is quietly cruising at 75 ( transmission not so quiet). There are times like at an elevation of 8500 ft the the poor girl struggles to maintain 35. Thats with a fully loaded refrigerator/freezer, over landing and extraction gear and spare parts.

Got back changed the oil and check everything over. No issues. Except a cooked ac resistor.

All in all it’s running great. Right now I’m enjoying it completely empty of all expedition gear (except rack and awnings) and the rear seat up for around the town family driving.

Its zippy, smooth and quiet around town.

Bottom line. It revs quicker with less nose and vibration. Don’t really know if It gained power. But I do know there’s a lot less weight it has to keep rotating to propel itself.

May Dino it some time put not sure 9.6 compression adds a measurable performance change.

Glad to have all this support and interest. Thanks to all.

I think I’m going to start traveling lighter though if possible.

Clarifying: flat ground cruising at high altitude is great, it’s the grades where she just grunts her way along.

Love it. Love the Pig. Love the story.

Thanks. I see all the hard work, passion and persistent dedication that so many put into their rides and feel lucky to have mine in the condition it’s in.

Kudus to all swine suckers, or is that wine suckers, or is that swine muckers. I better stop there.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom