Tales,Trails and Trials of a (wet) Dream Machine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This diatribe is dedicated to all on board who have helped inspire the rehabilitation of the all who have the swine flu.

I joined mud a couple of years before acquiring my latest squealer. While reading the journeys of the local inhabitants at that time, I was humbled by the efforts, ingenuity, imagination, devotion and patients (or used as a noun, some us should be considered patients). Hence I never felt worthy of creating a "build thread" or a thread of any sort. I finally realized its not about worthiness so much as it is about sharing photos, ideas, information, adventures, mishaps, victories and just good old belly laughs. I believe the title of this thread describes what's to come.

When I was in my mid to late teens I acquired my first 4x4s. 2 military Dodge Power Wagon ambulances (1948 and 1953). My 120 lbs. was about the same weight as a one 20" rim mounted with a Michelin tire ( it was easier to mount it then to lifting it)oops. As I was making a whole $0.75 per hour and putting myself through high school I was hard pressed to be able to afford gasoline let alone parts. I had dreams (or nightmares to some) of installing sheep's feet for tires and a pneumatic cannon to shoot grappling hooks over ridge lines to winch my wagons up cliffs. Environmentally what??? I should have begun with a Flyer wagon. Well some dreams are just that and the Power Wagons moved on to someone with bigger dreams and a bigger wallet.

Just out of high school I entered the construction industry as a mason earning $5.80 per hour. Bill Gates look out. The next thing that happened to change my life forever was that in 1973 I purchased a 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55 with 3600 miles, the color we called it back then was Okra. It change my life in an epic way is an understatement.

Over the next 15 years it was my work truck, 4xRV, weekend party limo, airplane, submarine, helicopter and brothel. It fell on its side twice and tried to played dead but both time 2 hours later it was wagging its tail down the road. I wore it out, restored it and wore it out again.

For 46 years I have almost always been in possession of a Landcruiser of on sort or another. I have driven an FJ55 and 40 all over the western US. I drove an FJ55 with a Ford V8 and lockrites front and rear down the East coast of Mexico through Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. I drove an HJ60 1200 miles through Borneo. Took the same HJ60 5500 miles through Australia.

Now I am a patient of a 1977 FJ55. Original color was Rustic Green and White #31, now it is Buick Enclave Metallic Silver and Mini Cooper Pearl White.

Hope I don't have to apologize for the long intro. I'll try and make up for it in pictures. Enjoy

Crab Tree Springs.jpg

Gibbons_00001A.jpg

Gibbons_00003A.jpg

Gibbons_00004A.jpg

Gibbons_00008A.jpg

Nice pictures from long ago. Looks like some fine times.

You had to post this? Made me think and in 1987 I purchased a 77 FJ55 for the motor that I needed for a 40 I had.

Running 55 vs non-running 40 and I didn't know 55's even existed before I found the one I bought.

Liked the 55 and kept it. Had it for a long time and loved it. Still have a 55 (and a few other LC's).

32 years for me and 46 for you. Damn we're getting old.

But still having fun!

Sweet intro. Looks like your priorities are just right. I've been into cars since way before I could drive but unfortunately didn't discover cruisers til about 10 years ago. It's great that you encountered them young. I'm a child of a huge Detroit/Pontiac auto industry family.

I broke out of orbit.

Keep it coming.

Glad all liked and yes more old pics and updates on current piggly.

Above first photo was Lake Tahoe 1975. I stabbed myself on those long horns to many times. The chain doubled to hold my wheel barrow in place for work
second pic -crab tree springs norther cal
third pic- you can see the crushed rain gutter from playing dead to many times, this girl never had the gutter trim, the four white tabs hanging in front of my hair are what the curtains used to hang from, there was a curtain track on both sides of the inside. By the looks of my eyes there might have been a bit more then beer involved (dude). The Volvo bucket seats were mounted higher then the bench originally was. My girl friend sat next to me in the center and the bench seat broke in half from all the bouncing during offroading.
fourth pic-well, just a great pic of pig and canoe centered between the two trees and one happy (dude). northern cal

Taos New Mexico 12,000 ft.

Anza Barrago Desert, southern cal

Nira campground Santa Ynez CA. going hiking, curtains, full mattress in back with shag carpet, I upholstered the door panels with paisley fabric

Last picture of my beloved (late 80's) slowly dying, roof and quarters rotting, 2nd dead engine, seats and upholstery in tatters. Roof rack and bicycle deflector (bumper) were transferred to a to a 1975 55 that took me 4,900 miles to Costa Rica, left the 75 with friends down there.
Still morn my beloved to this day. My girlfriend had a T shirt made that said "when to Toyo's rockin, don't come knockin".

Good eye Bob

Great photos! Those FJ55s are a great smile maker that's for certain!

I am pretty sure I have had the same comment to something else you said in another thread, but is worth repeating.

You use your mouth prettier than a $20 whore.

So here are a few filler pics of tails and trials by fire or water or mud until I get to my current sex pig.

Waterton Glassier International Peace Park, drying out after a rain storm with my 1969 FJ40

In route to Cost Rica, lobster traps, surfboards, tires, solar panels, 4 group 31 batteries, bicycles. I think just before entering El Salvador.

My 1973 FJ40. They told me there was a hole, just not where! The night before I drowned her in a 4 foot deep creek crossing. Fun weedend weekend.

1200 miles through the center of Borneo, 400 feet of it underwater in an HJ60 Just came out of a hole with windshield submerged. Swimming with the purana.
Canadian film crew made a move of it.

Advertising my coke addiction

🍿And the finally to the filler.

5500 miles through the center of Australia. Blown lockers, broken axels, cracked main leaf's' and destroyed 2 sets of BF Goodrich rubber soles. Way to much work but oh the tails, trails and trials. 72, 4 wheel vehicles started, 42 finish, we came in 40th.

Intermission will follow soon with pics of a project I did while hunting for my latest beloved pigster .🍿

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom