Tales,Trails and Trials of a (wet) Dream Machine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here it the intermission from pig talk.
The tail tale continues (tail: pre marriage, tale: post marriage)
So a 1973 FJ40 was my runabout thru the 90's and the first decade of 2K. I had been looking for a 55 off and on but hadn't see one that peak my interest.
I was interrupted in my quest by an add for a 1958 Triumph TR3, (no, not a motorcycle) for sale by the estate of the original owner. My daily driver in 1972 and early 73 was a 1958 TR3 and it was a total blast to drive, but not in bad weather.
Well I got side tracked from my pig hunt and did a 6 month resto (due to the son having way to much fun) on a 1958 TR3.

I share this tidbit with you all because even though this is a swine forum, at the heart of it all, we can't help but be motor heads when it comes to cool rides. So here is MY silver bullet and my tail magnet.

Engine details: Under the hood factory looking 2 liter engine
Reality;
Nitrated and harmonically balance crankshaft (still don't get the nitrating)[hardens the journals I think] (yes make jokes)'
Carrillo push rods
JE forged pistons 10.5/1 compression
Mild cam
Shave and CC'd head (more jokes)
5 speed Toyota Supra transmission (tall 5th gear)
Quaife LSD diff
Rear panhard bar
Re-jetted rear lever shocks
Koni front shocks
Aluminum tonnneau cover(yes the passenger side section ejects for picking up tale tail)
10" windsheilds
Aluminum rear wheel skirts
Custom adapted front wheel caps with original enamel emblems
Factor original front disc brakes

Extremely stable at all speeds, speedo stops at 120 put I have spun it till it stops.
Likes 100 mph, slight tap and 120 arrives quickly
30 Miles to the gallon
Used to drift nicely with Michelins and Pirellis but with Dunlop's can't get them to break loose(a bit scary)
It has an agent and has been in 3 commercials. One was a Mercedes commercial racing against Porsche and Mercedes at Willow Springs Race Way
30,000 miles doing road trips and Rally's, still going strong

Hope you enjoyed this interlude of another feather but enough of this intermission with mamby pamby british tin cans. Lets get back to the meat of the matter, pork belly and grits

My sweet swine arriving from its long journey from North Carolina approximately 2013

Details to follow next episode

2013-07-11 10.58.47.jpg

That TR3 is awesome! Had a 1960 Jaguar Mark IV in junior college. Then a couple of Porsche 912’s. Fun but wrong time of life to keep and maintain. Thanks for sharing.

Back to pig talk:

My pig hunting expedition continued in earnest In 2013. I rolled the dice on epay for a blue and white one that resided in San Diego. There were 50 or so pics that made it look like the golden egg of pigs. I threw down $16,000 but somebody upchucked a bit more at the last second. I was reviewing that epay pics after the fact and noticed the last 3 pics showed the roof rusting and several other spots. Other spots ok but a rusting roof was not on my wish list. Glad I missed out on that one although it popped back up days later due to a no pay.

I immediately opened communication with another epay seller in North Carolina. Again pictures looked great but I was a bit wary from the previous experience. I liked what the seller was telling me about the history but procrastination led to missing out on that one as well. However, 48 hours later that seller calls me and said that buyer was a nopay and did I want it. I said I'd take it and through down $13,500 for my new mistress.

Here's what I got:
1977, bought from the grandson of the original owner that had the pigglet in Tucson AZ for it entire life.
The grandson took it to his home in North Carolina and began to refurbishing it.
He got as far as a decent 10 foot paint job and reupholstered the seats. It originally was Rustic Green and White #31. It is now Buick Enclave Metallic Silver and Austin Mini Pearl White.
The custom bumpers were made from very heavy walled pipe.
It had seriously deferred maintenance as a daily driver but had not been used as a 4 wheeler and missing head liner.

Hers pics as advertised

I had it delivered to my home in Ojai Ca by covered transport and my initiation back into the world of Iron Pigs began again!!!

TR3 still in the family. Gonna be a hard decision as to which sled to be buried in.o_O

I already parted with my 71 Maserati/Citroen SM and my 68 Norton. Hated to but the were not getting execised enough.

The TR and Pig will be in my will to someone or in a raffle or my tomb stones ????

Yes I liked having vintage touring car, a vintage two wheeler, vintage sled and the pig. To much to attend to and enjoy.

I wanted to take this thread on a chronological journey from when my baby was delivered in 2013 till now but I want share some of the juice stuff I'm doing to her now also. So I will mix it up a bit.

Those who traveled to PP17 know about my misadventure journey of blowing a head gasket in Palmdale and vapor locking in Barstow. And thanks again to all the PP17 crowd for rooting me on and planning a rescue mission, as libation induced it may have been. Than you.

Although I assembled the engine in Jan of 17, it has since been determined that an over heating problem occurred do to intake manifold leaking badly Since the gauge on the pig consists of 4 lines it is unknown as to what they mean. I am doing some sensor testing this week. My sweet pork belly made it to PP18 with wife and 2 dogs on the same engine.

I knew that it would be inevitable to open the pot belly up to see what had ailed her. In Dec 18 we began the marinating process.

December tear down

So her is some juice to suck on, I mean real juice like in white lighting juice. So I am getting all the necessary engine parts refurbished, fine tuned and serviced and have been waiting for the my piston and rod order to be filled.

Here is what specs came in today and we approved the order. Suspense???

2F engine pistons, rings and rods weight 1750 grams a set.
These J&E pistons with rings and Carrillo rods weigh 535 grams a set. They are 8.5/1 compression.
This eliminates 16 lbs. of metal the crankshaft has to move around.

Head has new guides, seats, springs and rotating valves and has been CCed.
Manifolds have been surfaced and the bolt seats have been milled even
Putting on a mid 80's rocker assembly in pristine condition
New lifters and pushrods

Harrop locker has been installed in the front

Will do a little more paint touchup where the hood fastens to the engine compartment section

Getting ready for a busy tail season. Hey baby.

That old tractor engine is gonna sing!

Currently waiting for delivery of new pistons and rods.

So for the moment let’s go back to when I took possession of my new disease in 2013. The first thing I had to do was get it smogged (California). I never saw pics of the engine compartment prior to purchase. To my amazement all the smog components were in place as they should be, including all 80 ft of vacuume lines.
I go to get it smogged and it fails due supposedly to the carburetor needing adjusting. So I take it to the mechanic who kept my 40 tuned up. Turns out there was a burned exhaust valve also. So it took 6 weeks to do a valve job, a caburetor rebuild and replace the brake lines for good measure. During that waiting period I was having buyers remorse wondering what the heck I have done.

When I finally got my winged pig back, I’m driving down the road and my windshield becomes a hologram of all of my past adventures, girlfriends, stupid maneuvers, girlfriends and, oh did I mention girlfriends.

OMG, I had the biggest smile on my face and was thinking it was worth every penny. In fact I would have paid double for that moment ( as it happens I have probably paid more then double). But such is a pigs life!!!

My next step was to install a new headliner. The rubber seals on the windshield and cargo windows are dryed hard and if removed would turn to dust. With that being the condition I had to figure a way terminate the liner at the windows. An aluminum trim strip was my solution until I acquire the proper weather strip.

Over the last few years of hunting and gambling I have found used but supple weatherstrip (accommodates the metal trim) and when I get bored and energetic I will pull the windows and properly install a new headliner.

So her is some juice to suck on, I mean real juice like in white lighting juice. So I am getting all the necessary engine parts refurbished, fine tuned and serviced and have been waiting for the my piston and rod order to be filled.

Here is what specs came in today and we approved the order. Suspense???

View attachment 1915694

View attachment 1915695

2F engine pistons, rings and rods weight 1750 grams a set.
These J&E pistons with rings and Carrillo rods weigh 535 grams a set. They are 8.5/1 compression.
This eliminates 16 lbs. of metal the crankshaft has to move around.

Please share part numbers when everything comes in! My understanding is you cannot find 2F domed pistons any longer...

When I finally got my winged pig back, I’m driving down the road and my windshield becomes a hologram of all of my past adventures, girlfriends, stupid maneuvers, girlfriends and, oh did I mention girlfriends.

OMG, I had the biggest smile on my face and was thinking it was worth every penny. In fact I would have paid double for that moment ( as it happens I have probably paid more then double). But such is a pigs life!!!

I remember you telling me this at the campground near Rico - awesome!

Please share part numbers when everything comes in! My understanding is you cannot find 2F domed pistons any longer...

These are not over the counter piston and rods. There are a custom order.

CP something out of Camarillo ca. Custom builds to your specs.

“CP Carrillo” Irvine California. Yes unfortunately $$$$ o_O:frown::barefoot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom