Tacoma vs FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello IHM community! First off, I want to thank everyone who's contributed so much incredibly helpful knowledge and information to this site. I've been lurking for some time and have found IHM to be one of, if not the best, online communities out there.

I've been considering an FZJ80 for a while now. Always loved those trucks and no help that my buddy and fellow IHM member is a devout enthusiast who at every opportunity tries to get me into one. I currently have a late-model Taco with the off-road package (I can hear the snickers and sighs). Yes, I know it's no wheeler out of the box, but it's got potential.

I'm trying to decide whether to build my Taco, or find a nice FZJ80. If money weren't a big factor, an FZJ80 would be a second car for wheeling, but I can have only one truck for work and commuting when I'm not wheeling.

Maybe this thread's been done before and if so, I apologize in advance. I know that most of you are 80 enthusiasts and accept that bias, however I welcome any solid points on this matter.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Go with the Tacoma...3 good reasons why just to name a few: 1. Parts/Accessories- It's a lot easier to find parts for a Tacoma than an 80- a lot more accessory options out there too. 2. Wheeling- Yes, I know it doesn't have a solid front axle, but you can always SAS it if you really want to bad enough. That being said- wheeling in an 80 versus wheeling in a tacoma is way different...probably pros and cons, but the biggest difference is the rear end...you'll notice when you drop off of something a heck of a lot more than you will in a tacoma...it's unsettling sometimes in the 80. 3. Engine...That 4.0 V6 has more power than the 4.5 and better mileage to boot. If I do it again, I'll be going the Tacoma route...

Stick with the Tacoma if you cannot have an 80 as a dedicated "adventure" rig only. I DD a Prius and keep the 80 for the fun stuff. Many people on this forum DD their rigs, but I wouldn't recommend dropping your Taco in favor of an 80 in your particular situation.

I daily drive a low mileage first gen tundra and have my 80 for off-road and camping use. I would hate to have the 80 as a daily driver for a number of reasons. Fuel economy, wear and tear on an older vehicle, lack of power/good brakes, heavy tank-like handling. My V8 limited TRD 2001 tundra wins for road handling, and its not even close.

It also comes down to what kind of wheeling you will realistically do. I do less and less serious crawling as time goes on, so if I didn't need the seats to haul my wife and 4 kids on the adventures, I would sell both vehicles and get a late model tacoma and do some mild mods, and be good to go. My truck + my dirt bike = all the outdoor fun I realistically need, if it was just me. I actually much prefer the truck and cap platform for camping, anyway.

It also depends on if you see yourself becoming an 'enthusiast.' If its all about functionality with no emotional ties to the legendary aura of the land cruiser brand, you will start to get bugged by the cost of parts, the head gasket question, the weak brakes, the fuel economy, etc. However, if you become a true believer, and love dumping time and money into all of that, it becomes part of the lifestyle, is somehow justified as being an investment, and is all good.

I have had 4 80 series trucks. I start to get bugged with all the stuff I mentioned, sell the vehicle....then immediately feel a void in my soul that only the cruiser can fill. Its a complicated relationship ;)

I've never had an 80 but I can tell you that a second gen Tacoma can be plenty capable on the trail. And they make a great DD. I get the whole empty cruiser void thing too. I sold my 40 a few years back and regret it but I had hardly driven it in years. Now I've got a friend's 68 FJ40 in my garage that I'm trying to sell and I'm SO tempted to buy the thing just because I don't have one right now. And it's not even close to what I want in a FJ40. Good thing I'm broke.

I'd go so far as to say a Tacoma has a little bit of that "soul" but it is the lite version.

I've owned a 94 SAS pickup, a 95 4runner with a diesel swap, and a 94 FZJ80 that will soon be getting a 97 body because I crunched the old one on a flop. I also have many friends with the larger tacomas. There is no question, the FZJ80 is the "best" of them all (for my intended use.) Once baselined and appropriately maintained, you'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable/durable vehicle.. even if the cost of ownership isn't going to win any awards.

Part of me fully understands people willing to pay $20k+ for an extremely clean/low mileage example. Not that I have the cash to do it.. but in that vehicle if you could address the "age" things (plastic radiator tanks, hardening grease in window/blower motor mechs, etc) you'd have something with far more "soul" than anything available now new.

That said.. it will need work to get to modern vehicle standards on things like power, mileage, and braking.. other things will never be there (stability control, airbags other than frontal-collision).. but the fact that it comes from two decades ago means it also has a tactile, analog quality to it missing in many new cars. Personally, as much as I love my 2010 Jetta TDI and the mileage/comfort/power/brakes/handling/sound/emissions (get it?), If forced to choose between the two I'd be keeping the cruiser.

my 8.3c

A Taco saved my life. I was in a high speed accident and rolled six times. I am home recovering from a broken neck. Mine was a 4 door and my DD. would my 80 have done the same thing? I doubt it. All air bags deployed, and I had to be cut out. It got me a lot of places, but as others have said, it's different and the Taco has more options. I have a new appreciation for airbags etc. for now my 80 is my DD, but I will likely get another Taco and keep my 80 for fun as I did before.

Last edited:
I know a lot of guys who DD their cruisers. I'm not one of them. It's more economical for me to drive my 2wd tacoma and easier.

However there are times I wish the taco was 4wd for those times going camping to the beach or long camping trips where you don't wanna play jenga loading all the stuff in the cruiser and removing the back seats and being able to sleep in the bed. But then I think to myself it rides smoother, comfortable and has more character. Plus all those bits and pieces/gadgets you added to make things more comfortable camping.

The other cool part is when people on the trail, trip out seeing a big fat SUV wheeling.

I used my LC as a daily driver for 2 years and finally picked up a 03 tacoma xtra cab as daily driver. Much better gas mileage, quicker around town. The only thing I really dislike about the Tacoma is the seats, LC is much more comfortable inside compared to the Tacoma. The LC is now an adventure rig. I drive it to work every now and then but mostly camping now. Plan on putting my son in it when he turns 16 in a year.

Depends on what your needs/wants are? The Taco is better/easier to haul junk in, the '80 is a better, more durable wheeler.

Sounds like building the Taco is the best route for you.

Tacoma is more user friendly for stuff like commuting, work, etc. That extra 4mpg (not to mention the cheaper parts and likely less maintenance needs) is going to save you money in the long run. Taco isn't bad off road as long as you don't mind putting a few dents in it. Just gotta carry spare CVs and be sure not to do anything stupid if you lock the front diff.

Unless you are planning on rock crawling or some seriously difficult terrain, stick with the Taco. It is an incredibly capable vehicle right out of the box. Much better on the road and you can beat the snot out of it on the trail and drive back to work on Monday.

If I was in a new taco and pulled up to an 80 I'd say "I want that!" If I was in an 80 and pulled up next to a new loaded taco id say, "That's pretty nice."

My 14 year old son (who has an 80) and I were driving and saw a 3rd gen Taco (with an ih8mud sticker). My son said "That's a cute Taco."

The Taco is a fine pickup. If money is a factor then I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money on a newer Taco and then go beat it around off road. It might get scratched. :flipoff2:

I have both. I've had my 05 tacoma for 10 years, and I wheeled the piss out of it in 14 different countries. It eats parts just like any other rig if you beat on it, and some parts are hard to find for it (try finding a 6 speed taco trans in Germany, hah!). There are far more aftermarket axle shaft options for the FJ80's than the taco, same with 3rds/gears. The 80 is a fantastic daily driver, and I prefer it 9 times out of 10 over the Tacoma, and unless I plan on getting stupid offroad the taco stays in the barn. If you travel much, the 80 is a world wide platform and much easier to find parts for down south and in Europe. Find a local member and drive one, you might fall in love. Might be disgusted by the fat ol' girl too, you never know.

(broke an axle shaft in the taco)

She always gets me home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom