Swapping a VW into a 1st gen IFS 4 runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funn
Hope I didn't upset any of the yota purists with my tdi emblem.
I certainly approve. Same idea I had when I installed the 2FE into my FJ40.

grille1-sm.jpg

This build and the supracruza are my favorite builds to watch. I like when people save things that most others would pass on. Critics often have no skin in the game so i don't worry too much.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. This is a super slow build. Lake season is almost upon us so the build will stall out in another month or two. I have to start de winterizing and washing/waxing. With near 5 dollar a gallon diesel prices...its going to break me to tow a 5 ton boat back and forth to the lake all summer.

The 4xinnovations swing out tire carrier bumper installed. At

I primed the bumpers then applied cheap rustoleum roll on bed liner. Cheap, single stage, protective and easy to recoat. I did the front with regular prime and back with self etching (both rattle cans).

The regular primer seemed to bond better. Maybe I just messed with the rear bumper more?

Either way, now I need matching full sized spare. Hope to get sliders mounted this weekend.

20220408_180958.jpg

20220408_180932.jpg

1 slider installed.

20220410_141559.jpg

Driver side B pillar and tailgate trim mounted. Drivers side slider mounted.

20220410_200500.jpg

20220410_200424.jpg

No pics to update but trailer light wiring and lights for license plate holder are done. Also finished the exhaust.

Am curious what you did for trailer light wiring. Did you install a converter or ?

Yes. If you want brake lights AND/OR turn signals/running lights you must use a converter. My rusty red rig had one I reused. This is using a 4 prong standard harness.

10-4! Didn't know but maybe the trailer(s) have the same light set-up as a Toyota.

I came up with a way to wire relays in place of a converter after I had the 3rd bought new converter fail. Their failures were spread out over a decade or so, but I got tired of having to deal with them. Seemed like they always failed right when I needed to tow something.
Only downside, if you can call it that, to using relays is that the trailer's turn signals blink in time with the TR when off the brakes and180° out of phase when on the brakes.
i-ZCSBPHz.jpg

Thanks for the diagram. If mine fails I'll try that.

Some of the 5 plus or so prong plugs may be similar to the yota wiring without a converter but i have a 6 ton towing rated excursion for that type of towing.

Finally found someone to install a windshield in this thing. After dozens of phone calls where the 87 4runner was too old to install new glass or they wouldn't try molding or other means besides the rust promoting oem trim. Then I tried a hot rod shop. Bingo. The guy is going to look at it and see what he thinks will look best/cleanest. He's booked out until mid to late may so my hands are now tied on any carpet install until that's done.

I did get. The headliner and some side panels installed. The headliner had a tear in the back corner. One of the trim pieces had some deterioration around the passenger front seat upper seat belt mount on the inside pillar.

I suck at sewing and I have limited experience with using spray adhesives but I used some marine vinyl in a black carbon fiber print to cover the imperfections. A little inner ricer JDM redneck rigging.

It made it bunch a bit in some areas but again...daily driver and not a show rig so I'll rock it.

I chose the side panels with the storage trays. Found a baby bottle from dated 2001 in the side panel so a kid apparently found they could remove the tray and hide stuff inside the body panels. I was hoping for a stash of drug money instead of a kids bottle.

20220423_120519.jpg

20220423_120511.jpg

20220423_120502.jpg

You should definitely post the names of shops unwilling to do your windshield. Obviously not qualified for anything...

I didn't bother taking any names until I got one that was willing to do it. I run a shop, I know from experience that the quality outcome of any job is directly associated with the attitude and confidence of they guy (or gal) doing said job. I wasn't going to hire anyone that hadn't done similar jobs (familiar with what I was describing) and most importantly was wanting to do the job. I will mention that all big chain windshield installers, forget calling them.

We just had safelite install a new windshield in the little ladies disco 2 and they wouldn't touch an 87 4runner. My rig is also incomplete and some places wouldn't come out to site to repair. I can tow it if needed but that's a huge hassle as I am limited on spare time. I have no tag or insurance right now on the rig. If it was stolen or damaged during the tow or while it was there, well I'd have blown my kids college fund on a toy for nothing. At least at the house my home owners insurance would help.

Who said I'm claiming the entire rig and not just a hand full of orv parts aka personal property I've got thousands in receipts for?

Man I have a hard time believing you couldn't do a competent install of a windshield. I think with the help of another person you could do a good job. Is it that you are having an issue trying to find a place to buy the glass? I can probably get you in touch with someone who got me a windshield for my 79 pickup.

The main issue was finding someone who could use molding vs the oem trim. I found a hot rod shop that does everything from rv windshields to chop top custom windshields. The price is less than 300 as well.

lol didn't know u had a thread going on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom