Swapping a VW into a 1st gen IFS 4 runner (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah. Going camping this week and want to wash the sap off my windshield to at least start out clean but if i wash it in my driveway, the trees just spit all over it in about 10 mins. Living in a forest is nice looking but certainly dirty.

We are done with pollen for the most part but the trees are dropping sap all over the vehicles.

IMG_20220522_122717588.jpg

Same here. Washed vehicles yesterday. Today they look like someone has sprayed them down with maple syrup.

That's the last thing I want on my new carpet!

Got my jvc Bluetooth CD player installed. Amp for mids/highs. I modded the factory speaker brackets to hold kicker 2 way 6.5s. needs break in but the test was loud and clear. I have 4 inch dash speakers not attached to the amp for hands free calls.

The carpets are installed along with new carpet on the tailgate. I still need a warm day with the top on in order to get the carpet pulled tighter.

IMG_20220523_213825736_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220523_213830052_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220523_213836354_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220523_213917036_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Towed the 4 runner for an hour today. Guy on the phone was sure he could do the windshield install with the molding. Total no go, the tech wouldn't touch it. I'm sick of dealing with windshield installers. Diesel isn't exactly free these days.

Have another installer lined up next Tuesday or wed. Luckily he's coming to me. Sent very detailed pics showing what I have, what I want and details down to the 4 runner windshield has no ceramic frit ring so whatever glue isn't under the molding has to be uv rated or protected. He came highly recommended by 2 custom shops. Fingers crossed this battle is over so I can focus on the interior, top and ac system.

Now it's time to head to the lake so I can run this diesel.

IMG_20220515_161323277_HDR.jpg

I don't think that I knew that Mercruiser did diesels. Whose engine is that really?

Mercrusier has used many other manufacturers motors rebadged for their packages. This one is a VM diesel, famous or infamous depending on your experience, same brand used in the crd Liberty and land rovers. These were also badged as Cummins for a while.

They have also used the ford 7.3, hino, VW (the best IMHO), and Isuzu. Among others.

I hope to eventually marinize a LBZ Duramax to toss in place of this 1100 lbs motor. Using Ford 351 exhaust manifolds and ditch the turbos for a super charger (whipple?). The issue is finding a tuner to write the programming as it is now an EPA violation to do so. My goal is 275 hp, less than her current HP so I don't eat my out drive in a 5 ton boat . Right now my top speed is 22ish mph. I want to reach 30. The Duramax will have plenty of power to do that. ..or torque I should say. I'm spinning a near 20 inch 4 prop blade on a bravo 2.

Last edited:
Did you get the carpet to lay flat? and if so pretty happy with it? I haven't ordered my carpet yet, not sure where to go.

Not perfectly. Still no top of windshield. Top has been ordered and windshield installed today . Will be in the 90s all summer so I'll play with it more

Local guy named Chris did the install. Was highly recommend by two hot rod/custom shops. He knew exactly what I was looking for. I booked him last Thurs or Friday and came this morning. Now I just need that top to arrive so I can bake the carpets then pull them tight to flatten around the trans tunnel.

IMG_6270.jpg

I did some upholstery work. Got better as I went along so I'll eventually redo every cushion except the drivers rear upper (last one completed) most of my sewing experience was mending street hockey gear as a kid. Asphalt really ate up equipment.

The bottoms are removable covers over the original seats but the uppers I removed the covers and is all new. The idea is so I can wash them after the dogs go for a ride. No lake this weekend as a few pads on my triaxle trailer decided to delaminate on our way home last Monday. Had to order them. Normally I'd have splurged on paying 100 bucks per axle to get them locally but with diesel being so high I figured pay half that and stay at home to work on the Yota. eBay for a 50 percent discount but a week to arrive. Will give me something to to tomorrow night after work

I'm now out of backing material but will be starting on the fronts when more material arrives.

IMG_20220605_155319309_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220605_155311141_HDR.jpg

Made an arm rest out of a 50mm ammo box with lock. Pretty much done with the interior now on other than bolting down the ammo box. I still have a tuffy drink holder to install before it's bolted down. Stereo system is completed. I'm currently waiting on some fittings to be made to assemble the ac system.

My Thai made d21 Nissan door pulls arrived along with inner door handle bezels. I got those installed.

Also waiting on the killer toys top. So long as their current back log is correct I should have another 2 weeks or so before it arrives.

I still need window tint and an alignment,.

IMG_20220627_201901815.jpg

IMG_20220627_201942528.jpg

IMG_20220627_201956768.jpg

IMG_20220627_202014310.jpg

Drivers seat is a sport sr5 seat. I added some foam material to it to restore it to is former comfort level. This has the manual upper and lower seat adjustments.

The passenger seat is the standard as the little lady doesn't like the seat to fit like a glove.

Have the rubber mats finished and locking arm rest.

IMG_20220628_193347036.jpg

IMG_20220628_192240454.jpg

IMG_20220628_192227284.jpg

IMG_20220628_193416457.jpg

Killer toy tops delivery. My only gripe is there is an air gap on the corners where the top frame meets the cab. Possibly due to old worn rubber and not in the design. My 40 soft top could get wet in a rain storm, finger crossed this one stays a little more dry. I had some weather stripping I put in there. If she stays dry I'll leave it be.

Things to do:. Window tint, alignment, finish behind the wheel exhaust, finish the ac and tags/insurances. Will be back at it tomorrow evening, likely all weekend. Boat needs a new waste gage, VM diesel parts were slow before covid, now they ship pony express...only the pony had covid.

IMG_20220711_191434187.jpg

No pics at this time but my system wouldn't hold a vacuum very long. So I charged the system with about 50 lbs of air from my air compressor. Found leak quickly. The add on condenser for the 4runner had a small hole behind the hood latch.

Pulled my spare, swapped them. Pulled vacuum for 45 min. That was at 7:15 last night. At 7:30 this morning I was still pegged at 30 lbs vacuum.

Will make my first ever attempt to not only charge an ac system but a very modified ac system.

Clutched yet adjustable valve variable displacement ac compressor. Valve screwed in completely for what I think is constant max pressure.

Toyota amplifier deleted. In it's place a trinary switch installed in the high pressure (small line). This will cut on the cooling fan at low rpms and turn them off at high speeds based on pressure. It also cuts the clutch for the ac on and off when pressures get too low or high. The Passat came with a low idle ac program yet on the TDI it's very rarely if ever used so it's not functional in my application.

Custom ac adapter hoses. One professionally made and one crimped by yours truly via my hydraulic ac and hydraulic line fitting crimper.

System flushed (blown out) and empty for years. Evaporator was blown out and new foam added where needed. I probably should have replaced the expansion valve while in there, we will soon see if that bites me in the ass. I wasn't considering that when in there. This is my first swap in which ac was kept.

System filled with 8.25 oz of pag 46

Will be charging with r134a tonight to approx 22oz I think ( I really need to find an exact weight)

If the ac isn't cold enough at idle may have to delete fan control portion of trinary switch and keep fan on while the ac button is pushed. The TDI will likely never get hot enough to activate the fan and electric fans are cheap. Cold ac is more important than getting 10 yrs lifespan out of a cooling fan.

I also may have to run baffling to the front condenser and radiator to maximize air pull through condenser for optional cooling.

The Passat is sub 45 degrees at idle on a 92 degree day. Tested it yesterday. I'm hoping for 55 in the 4 runner. You could hang meat in a Passat.

Good news is I have ac. I don't know how cold it is as the little lady caught me stealing her cooking thermometer. I was reminded of a broom I borrowed from her kitchen this spring when I was cleaning the boat...it somehow got ran over...I deny responsibility but I did steal it.

But it is cold. It's not meat hanging Passat cold but I did only run it 10 min and then ac fan never kicked on. It was 90 outside, I had just finished mowing the lawn and it felt good at idle. I'm @ 50 psi low side and 200psi high side. It called for 22 oz r12 and I had 32 oz in 2 cans, I added approximately and a half...I wasn't going to ask to borrow her food scale after the cooking thermometer debacle!

The bad news is my windshield trim is peeling back. The installer said he would be back out Monday afternoon but haven't seen or heard from him.

I am buying the gasket made for the Hilux. If he doesn't show or if it peels again I'll cut off the inner portion of the gasket and squeeze the outer half into the window gap along with plenty of urethane. It won't work itself back out around the corners like the universal trim is. I have a pretty good lip on the window in the corners to really get a good bite.

More bad news, noticed an oil drip from the passenger rear axle shaft. New bearings and seals ordered and for good measure a little fab shop rear disk brake conversion kit plus wilwood adj. Prop valve. I already have 20 some odd ft of new brake hose. If it's apart I may as well upgrade. Will also need to check my diff breather as that may be the source of my leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom