Swapping a VW into a 1st gen IFS 4 runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The engine bay is pretty much complete. The charge pipes may move a bit based on the intercooler fitment and I will need to wire the stereo system. There are still some unused holes in the fire wall that will need to be filled.

20220205_161807.jpg

Ran into an issue mounting my 2019 wheels on the 1987 4runner. The tire hits my old man emu leaf spring so I'm going go have to run wheel spacers. Was hoping for a direct fit but no go

285 70 17s are the tire size.

20220207_180354.jpg

20220207_180413.jpg

One spring is removed and I have 1.25 inch extended shackles. Will squat more once I put in the interior and rear bumper/swing out tire carrier.

I'm going soft top so I don't need the rear window squirter. I'll install it on my rear bumper to squirt cars that are tailgating.

You can tell by the amount of cinder blocks I have on hand that I am a professional.

20220207_180346.jpg

Does anyone else like the natural window tint?

The current doors have electric windows. My parts rig has manual windows and the little kick out glass.

I'm thinking about ditching the electric windows and installing the manual doors. The rig isn't wired for electric windows. Adding controls is not an issue but at 6ft 2 it doesn't take much for me me lean over to roll up the passenger side windows.

I am bringing her into the new age with some fj cruiser electric mirrors with side marker light.

I got my rear window working from the interior switch. The key switch still doesn't work but with a soft top I'll put it down then disable it.

I'd worry about not being able to lock up but with a soft top you don't exactly keep anyone out who isn't honest anyway. A lock box will be a must. I don't want any of my valuables stolen like my sunglasses and chapstick.

I'll have to game plan the amp and speaker mounting spots so they are behind panels or under seats, of sight and seriously inconvenient to steal.

Do you need an amp? I don't have one in my 80 and it does very well. One less thing to hide and no one tries to steal sound deadening material. I know the soft top probably is noisy and you can't fix that.

I spent 4 years daily driving and isuzu 4bd2 powered fj40, soft top, no carpet on 33s with 4 inch lift. You don't know noise until you toss a loud 3.9 liter diesel in a dumpster and give it a shopping cart suspension. To top it off the doors stayed off from May until October.

Pm me with price and info on the amp as I do need both and A/B amp and a class D.

What I learned about doors with those wing windows, when fully opened they will lift the hem of a skirt and provide both genders with some, um, unusual cooling........
:rofl:

Ever since I got the little lady the disco all she's done is rag on my 4 runner so I'm not sure how much female company I'll get in the passanger seat.
I'll do my best to relay that message as that's a selling point I was previously unaware of. I don't remember the 40 having that effect with its kick out windows.

On our first date I picked her up in a chevy v8 swapped 40, maybe that's what sold her on sticking around this past decade?

Just like a Harley!

I think her love for that unreliable beast is the only thing that makes her keep me around.

Haha ladies dont realize we take our best vehicles on the first date. That means our other ones are something less impressive. In short if they really thought about it they should expect a full junkyard at home

Back then the 40 was my only vehicle!

So much want, that TQ is perfect. Cant wait to see it wheel!

Thank you. It likely won't see more than some trial riding but I'm sure I'll have to find a few small obstacles to go over.

The charge pipes are done!!!! The power steering high pressure hose is done. Made out of -6AN aeroquip reusable fittings and their matching hose. All high pressure rated and on trail or side of highway repairable. The skid plate with intercooler mounting is also done. I fired it up and had cels for all 4 glow plugs and temp sensor. Those were all unplugged on my initial test fire. She has sat for a couple weeks since then. Fired up on the first bump of the key. I'll get it on tires and completely under the carport so I can pull the hard top. Next week the body work begins so I can get ready for paint.

Started and dove it about 20 ft today. I can't see out of the windshield or windows because of my super dark tint job but I needed to get it all the way under the carport so I can remove the top for body work. I have perfect clearance on everything using 1.5 inch lug centric spacers. All my research has revealed hub centric do not fit manual hub tr4, lc or trucks. If anyone knows a brand that works I'm all ears as I don't want highway vibrations. I have extended reach inner lugs for more grip. Installed with red loctite and torqued to 90 ft lbs. Not just regular loctite but customer says to reassemble because his neighbor will do the repair cheaper loctite.

20220212_124958.jpg

20220212_122803.jpg

20220212_122801.jpg

20220212_122812.jpg

I've never done any body work that required welding. Well today was the day to start. I watched some YouTube videos a while back and put my Lincoln 120v flux core on low. I used approx 22 gauge steel. I can cut it with hand shears and it's thick enough that I won't blow through too easily...although I did...several times.

I'm not naive enough to think I could form this fender patch on my first try where I wouldn't have to reshape it with some blocks and filler. Would have been nice but I honstly don't want to have to do this enough times to get that good at it.

If you zoom in on the passanger side pics I've previously posted you can see the rust hole on the rear fender. I cut it all out and this is my final product. I will be going over this with some filler as mentioned. Ever coat metal glaze is my go to. Right now it's too cold to apply body filler or even paint so I'm just focusing on what I need to repair. Was near 70 yesterday and barely 55 today. Cold weather sucks.

As usual I used scrap metal I have laying around. This was once part of some metal shelving, its now evolved into 4runner rear fender. Nice upgrade in my opinion.

20220213_174041.jpg

All we welding done on the easy side. Now time to start on the passan side. She got hit hard with the rear corner. I'll be cutting it all out then welding in a rear corner from the parts rig. This old gal looks good topless

20220218_182733.jpg

20220218_182746.jpg

20220218_182752.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom