STLCA 80 Series Club Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Boo. But as long as you price it right you should do pretty well on it. 80s seem to be bringing good $$ these days

I finally got around to washing the dirt off from the New Year's ride. For a 20 year old truck she still cleans up alright.

IMG_20170924_165215.jpg

2850j fronts 60070lshoocks
2863 rears 60020shicks or softer depending on future rear weight and bumper direction of choice
Caster bushings ca77 or 1048 plates
Sd24 stabilizer

IMO, if you going with the 850J /863's, go with castor plates over bushings. The plates don't wear and give the right castor with no margin of error.

You'll also need spacers for the front springs to level, even with 863's in the rear.

I started with J springs on all 4, but had stink bug. The 863's leveled that out. I think I have 30mm of spacer on the front springs. This lift gives room for 315s or bigger and only have a little frame rubbing on the rear at full stuff.

If the $$ is there, the slinky kit looks good.

My Lx450 has j rears and 30mm spacers in front was armored on 37s and cleared easily. Based on future gear choice and tire size I’d adjust accordingly

im running 315's with no plans for bumpers.

For 315's I would look for something in the 2"-3" range. With no armor, (and correct me if I'm wrong) the above setup is going to bump you 4"-5"+ which I don't think you are looking for.

I would look at a OME medium kit, or similar ironman. The 50mm Terrain Tamer Kit might fit the bill too. @wardharris would be happy to answer any questions on the TT stuff I bet. Him and Georg have been helping me work on some umph for momma's GX.

Regardless of brand, for DD (Daughter Duties) I would say stay with a lower lift height. Minimal caster correction needed, and anything over 3" will likely start the tail chasing with drive-line vibs, caster wars, etc. etc. Stuff you don't want to deal with for this rig.

jynx i was thinking 2-3 lift as well. all these ome numbers might as well be Greek. Keep in mind this is my first coil spring adventure.

Andy, for your situation, I would probably be looking at one of these 2 flavors in the OME coils
  • 861 Front/ 862 Rear - "stock" replacement and should net you about 1" over standard stock
  • 851 Front/ 860 Rear - "light" lift, should get you 2.5" +/- with no added weight
I'm not as familiar with the other coils, but pretty much all of them have something in the 50mm range. I know many offer a 50mm kit, but they differentiate based on the amount of added load.

Not sure if the attached file will show properly, but TT offers a 50mm lift in several versions, all designed to provide 50mm of lift with the load as shown, so for you, you want the lowest weight to make sure you stay close to the advertised number. less load on a higher rate spring will give you more lift than advertised. Also less load on a high rate spring will ride like garbage because the spring never really gets to it's sweet spot.

1205171512.jpg

Iron man is similar, theirs are listed as performance load, constant load, etc. Main thing is with no armor, stay with a lighter spring to ensure you keep a good ride and a reasonable height.

Shocks can also make or break the ride. Ivr heard mixed reviews on the newer OME stuff, but the FOX 2.0s arent bad, also I've heard great things about the iron man shocks and we are about to try out the TT stuff.

Last edited:
Yes, Jynx speaks truth. My 850J/863 is at 5" lift, and even at 6'3" it's a climb to get in.

anyone have an opinion on the dobinson springs?

To echo @Bama4door I've heard lots of good things. @DanKunz is running them on the rear of his GX and speaks very highly of them. I think they are one of a handful that have true progressive rate springs. By varying the wire diameter to get the lighter rates.

the progressive stuff is beyond the budget for this truck. Keep in mind i have to give this to my daughter in a year.

Did you look at the King Springs info I sent you? For $580 shipped, hard to beat. You're welcome to drive my truck to feel them.

the progressive stuff is beyond the budget for this truck. Keep in mind i have to give this to my daughter in a year.

Andy, the 80 is looking good. Glad it went to a good home. I went with the OME 851/860 route and so far am pleased. Watch the classifieds and you can get them used occasionally. Went with Pro Comp shocks and haven't been real stoked about those. And where did you get the sliders, I'm in the market.
1330.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom