STLCA 80 Series Club Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This past weekend I decided to start cleaning up the new to me 80 I picked up a few months ago. The PO was a smoker and tried to stuff a bunch of air fresheners in it before selling, so the combo smell is pretty rank. I decided to take out the carpet so I can give it a good power wash and shampoo (will do this weekend since weather is supposed to be nice). I’m hoping most of the stains come out, but we’ll see.

I’ll also be treating the back seats to some leather conditioner and cleaning them up (they’re in pretty good shape).

However, the front seats look like a crazed cat got ahold of them so I’ll be replacing the front seat leather with LSeat replacements in the next month.

In the first pic you can see the mint steering wheel I just picked up from a Mud member. The original was pretty bad. Also, the PO put in an aftermarket radio that’s not my style, so I’ve got a stock radio being delivered early next week to swap out.

DA0A0C3B-C61A-4F7F-B65B-B7F0A400F121.jpeg

EA8B3E9D-F0AA-4C34-ABD2-7BE7E2E4F499.jpeg

C7B99F4E-836F-4B3B-ACC1-E5810ED60CEC.jpeg

I dig it Cole. How is the exterior? Oh and You're collection is growing nicely :D

I dig it Cole. How is the exterior? Oh and You're collection is growing nicely :D
Exterior color is green (seems to not be a popular color on Mud), and it's decent 5/10. The roof and upper tailgate has some clear coat fading etc. It's missing 2 front fender flares, but I've found a guy in Chattanooga who has some I can pick up.

Cool, what's the plan for this one? You gonna flip it or this going to be a driver?

Also, I got a full length roof rack that needs a new home if your looking :D

Cool, what's the plan for this one? You gonna flip it or this going to be a driver?

Also, I got a full length roof rack that needs a new home if your looking :D
I haven’t decided yet. I want to at least make it clean and driveable first. I’ve got a 2” Ironman lift going in and I’m going to swap over the 285s from Caylee’s LX and get her some new tires. I’m sure I’ll keep it for a while and enjoy it.

I’ll keep the roof rack in mind. Would it fit a 60 too?

It might, never really thought about it. It uses rain gutter mounts, so as long as the width would work, I would say it should. I will get you the width and length if you want to check them against your 60 roof.

Edit: it measures 50"Wx79"L

It might, never really thought about it. It uses rain gutter mounts, so as long as the width would work, I would say it should. I will get you the width and length if you want to check them against your 60 roof.
That would be great, thanks Matthew!

That would be great, thanks Matthew!

Cole it measures 50"x79".

It is this one I think

Track Rack, Off Road Series, 50

I will double check but I'd say their "84 inch" measurement is the bottom, I measured 79" on the top. The front has a rake built into it so the deflector has an angle to it.

Cole it measures 50"x79".

It is this one I think

Track Rack, Off Road Series, 50

I will double check but I'd say their "84 inch" measurement is the bottom, I measured 79" on the top. The front has a rake built into it so the deflector has an angle to it.
Do you have pics of it on the 80 you could share?

Do you have pics of it on the 80 you could share?

Here are a few that I have handy. I lost an sd card last year that I think had a few on it.

0722171946 (1).jpg

1008161239_HDR-2.jpg

1008161304_HDR-1.jpg

0319161750d_HDR.jpg

It pretty well covered the whole roof of the 80.

Been giving the 80 a little spa treatment the past few weeks. Just installed new Lseat leather this weekend, removing fake wood trim from dash and got a used mint steering wheel. The interior is almost finished, then starting with suspension.

6121C280-1378-45D6-B5A5-DE38A18DA8CF.jpeg

E61A2AAB-B4A7-429B-B252-CF8B99E96BE6.jpeg

62508E6A-9328-43B0-9D9E-DCCAE9362660.jpeg

Tires from the 40 found their way onto shorty today. I'm chasing down the death wobble and wanted to see how it drove on a more street friendly set of treds and this was the only thing that the 15s would mount onto.

0324181155.jpg

I dig it. Kinda has a mad-max vibe to it now.

Disassembling the 40 already @jynx

Nope, I am under presidential executive order not to touch it :lol:

It has some serious death wobble at around 30 mph and I am trying to chase it down. I know I can't fix it before mardi-krawl, but I figured I could try and do some detective work. After 3 attempts it ended up with the old GX tires and wheels on it. Quick drive around the block and it did help, but still has some shimmy at around that 30 mph mark, but much less scary with a 30" street tire. Also checked and it is toed in about a 1/4".

Since Erin wants a more dual purpose wheeler, I am working on the short list for it. El presidente said I couldn't take it apart, he didn't say I couldn't do some planning.

Caster angle ?

It can cause a pretty violet wobble. If I remember right set angle to 5 degrees at pinion. Just a thought.
Good luck

Nope, I am under presidential executive order not to touch it :lol:

It has some serious death wobble at around 30 mph and I am trying to chase it down. I know I can't fix it before mardi-krawl, but I figured I could try and do some detective work. After 3 attempts it ended up with the old GX tires and wheels on it. Quick drive around the block and it did help, but still has some shimmy at around that 30 mph mark, but much less scary with a 30" street tire. Also checked and it is toed in about a 1/4".

Since Erin wants a more dual purpose wheeler, I am working on the short list for it. El presidente said I couldn't take it apart, he didn't say I couldn't do some planning.

Caster angle ?

It can cause a pretty violet wobble. If I remember right set angle to 5 degrees at pinion. Just a thought.
Good luck

Death wobble SUCKS!! My experience but what do I know, just a newb here!!

• Balance tires, you've addressed this with the GX tires so unlikely the issue
  • Worn out Tie rod ends, easy to check, cheap to replace and fix. should probably do anyway unless Andy did so already
  • Alignment - see shop and reference also tie rod ends above.
  • Caster and Camber - check as best you can redneck stye with an angle finder or reference alignment shop. Can either do a cut and turn on the axle or run shims depending on the angle required.
If all that dont work, 5 gals of gas and a match should fix the death wobble. :slap:

Last edited:
Death wobble SUCKS!! My experience but what do I know, just a nube here!!

• Balance tires, you've addressed this with the GX tires so unlikely the issue
  • Worn out Tie rod ends, easy to check, cheap to replace and fix. should probably do anyway unless Andy did so already
  • Alignment - see shop and reference also tie rod ends above.
  • Caster and Camber - check as best you can redneck stye with an angle finder or reference alignment shop. Can either do a cut and turn on the axle or run shims depending on the angle required.
If all that dont work, 5 gals of gas and a match should fix the death wobble. :slap:

Lol, yeah, but I need to adjust the policy coverage first.... It has some caster shims between the housing and springs, but I need to get the angle finder out and check it. Tires and wheels are in the works, rod ends are on the list, then an alignment will be in order.

Caster angle ?

Good luck

I never knew you were so found of the color purple - surprised you didn't keep that propane tank... it's no wonder why you bought a Jeep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom