Steve Urkel Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^^
Truth.

Or that. I was joking about the Alabama part. On a serious note, for this lurking... Definitely don't buy sight unseen, and if you are buying that the money warrants, get an inspection. I wish I had. My point is that buying them is an emotional thing and even though we go look at them, it over powers our common sense. And what do we do about it? We pour more more money into it. At the end of the day, i will finally get mine to the point where I want it. It will cost much more than I had expected, needed more work than I anticipated, but still going to drive the hell out of it. Yes, my rig was misrepresented (IMO) but ultimately i bear responsibility as well.

Last edited:
@Richfj60 Its all good. I think we are all seeing this thread with a level of humor. ;)

its really impressive that you were able to prep and paint it outside and have good results. Paint shops always seem to be like level 10 clean rooms and even then dust ends up in the paint :D

I disagree with not purchasing sight unseen. Having purchased quite a few cars sight unseen, including almost every cruiser I own, I have rarely had an issue. Agreed that the burden of responsibility lies with the purchaser. I just have a distaste for dishonest people.

its really impressive that you were able to prep and paint it outside and have good results. Paint shops always seem to be like level 10 clean rooms and even then dust ends up in the paint :D

Well, it definitely needs wet sanded. There were a few bugs that managed to get in the clear. However, it looks 10 times better than it did, and is now worthy for my wife to drive. I feel I've recouped quite a bit of my money. It was just at the point where I either took a large loss, or made it the best we could. I do have more in it than it's probably worth, but I bought it to be driven, so in the end it's all good.

Pic of my wife starting it for the first time after it was done.

IMG_1166.jpg

I disagree with not purchasing sight unseen. Having purchased quite a few cars sight unseen, including almost every cruiser I own, I have rarely had an issue. Agreed that the burden of responsibility lies with the purchaser. I just have a distaste for dishonest people.

I think "unseen" really means unconfirmed. Knowing or trusting in a reputable seller and making a deal is a different scenario than getting duped by a dishonest seller on Ebay.

Well, it definitely needs wet sanded. There were a few bugs that managed to get in the clear. However, it looks 10 times better than it did, and is now worthy for my wife to drive. I feel I've recouped quite a bit of my money. It was just at the point where I either took a large loss, or made it the best we could. I do have more in it than it's probably worth, but I bought it to be driven, so in the end it's all good.

View attachment 2388549

For sure its a win in the end. Best thing you or any of us can do is not think about the money side of ownership...but have comfort in knowing that its a car thats growing in value simply because people are wanting them more. If you sold this now you might not break even but you'd probably come out less behind than you might think.

Notice the coat hangar holding up the new exhaust. I was waiting for new insulators.

Which leads me to mention @OTRAMM . I bought a brand new exhaust from Ryan. It's the bomb. He made a great product, and it uses V-Clamps which makes installation pretty simple. Highly recommended! Ryan did some work on our 80 when we lived in DC and is a great dude.

Last edited:
This is the truck I really want....it pretty much takes the concept of
Notice the coat hangar holding up the new exhaust. I was waiting for new insulators.

Which leads me to mention OTRAMM. I bought a brand new exhaust from Ryan. It's the bomb. He made a great product, and it uses V-Clamps which makes installation pretty simple. Highly recommended! Ryan did some work on our 80 when we lived in DC and is a great dude.

did you get his stainless system?

View attachment 2388549
1D311B01-8971-4833-A5A6-A0916726A006.jpeg

This pretty much sums it up,
“Happy wife Happy life”
Maybe I need to my wife a 60... she calls mine “The other women”:rofl:

Nice rescue of the truck. Great stories and memories. The money that is 'underwater' will be forgotten!

View attachment 2389078
This pretty much sums it up,
“Happy wife Happy life”
Maybe I need to my wife a 60... she calls mine “The other women”:rofl:
Your wife may like that :)

It’s funny, she will almost always choose one of the cruisers to drive. She’s been great at accepting my fondness for them.

How did I miss this story at the gathering at your place ? Ed

How did I miss this story at the gathering at your place ? Ed

Not sure, Ed.

To busy looking at all the other cruisers and eating BBQ? Not enough time - aybe we need to make it a multi-day get together.

Nice!!! Where did you get the stripe kit?

View attachment 2388549
When we got ours the unscrupulous seller provide a fake smog certificate. In order to get it to pass we took it to a local recommended on MuD “trusted” Toyota shop. They said it needed a valve job. Took 3 weeks! for them to that but it took 6 months for me to unfix their mess and get it to run right. The good news is the 60 series have appreciated so much that Ill never be upside down. May that continue for you.

Thank you. I have some good people in my life. It really did turn out well, thanks to a great community of friends...old and new. I did make some new friends along the way, which is always awesome!
This is what makes it man!!! Never would have met you all and @dogfishlake otherwise. Having been around you all.....you leave the world a better place for....each day. Pleasure to know you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom