Speaker Ideas Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I posted my setup on another thread, but I guess I'll post it here too. I just took some sheet metal and made a clam shell type housing with a top and bottom that screws into my roll bar. It sounds pretty good...ie, I can head the music as I run at highway speeds!
Speaker 1.JPG
Speaker 2.JPG
Speaker 3.JPG

A few more pics.
Speaker 4.JPG
Speaker 5.JPG

This is what I did.
Front Speaker 02.jpg
Rear Speaker 01.jpg

Here's mine, they're just not quite loud enough anymore though. :frown: I may just be going deaf though. ;p

I definitely need some up front as well.

attachment.php

Ahh yes, the Bose indoor/outdoors. That's what I ran when I had a stereo in my rig. When I did the new tub 10 years ago I opted out of putting a stereo back in. Been pondering a power amp in the pocket / mini-jack in the dash for an iPod connection.

Too many other things to spend money on now that I bought a house. Asbestos comes out of the basement tomorrow...

This is what I did. I wanted something powerful, but also portable. This has an internal battery good for 5 hours, a power inverter, cigarette lighter adapter, battery clamps, and an antenna I built into the case for radio. iPod input, plus MP3/WMA capability. Oh, and the voltmeter lights up:D

464154_24_full.jpg

Brian:cool:

I've always liked Tuffy Security products and they've got some good stuff to help with this. First off, the Tuffy center console is a common one used in 40's. I have a buddy that is a dealer/installer for Blaupunkt and he found this killer little amp that worked great and fit in the bottom of the console. The console comes with a rubber mat that fits in the bottom. I mounted the amp and laid the rubber mat over the top of it, so even with the console was open you never saw it.

Bluedotamp.jpg

Didn't go with anything too expensive for the deck since it would be exposed to lots of dust etc., but used Blaupunkt again in the front section of the console.

deck.jpg

For my front speakers I had used some in the doors before, but had the doors off a lot so I wanted something different. I built this little box and mounted it to my rollcage. The dome light was nice too. Tuffy offers a really cool overhead console that is much better than this with a CB radio compartment as well, it just wasn't available when I built mine. Sony Xplod speaker 5" round.

frontspeakers.jpg

For the rear, I had long swapped out my jump seats for a bench and I was using the Tuffy rear storage boxes with the speaker compartment. I loved these. Great for storage, and I bolted the armrest pads from my bench seat to the top of them since they were the perfect height. I used Sony Xplod 6x9's in these boxes. The great thing about the Tuffy stuff is it's all locked away and they advertise theft resistence with thier products. Never had a problem with theft with these is my open top 40 for 8 years of use.

rearspeaker.jpg

On a side note (I don't own the truck anymore so I'll share a little secret), I don't know if the current owner is even still using it so I guess it's ok to share. As an additional theft deterrant, I had a kill switch for the ignition mounted inside the center console. Everytime I parked the truck I turned off the ignition and locked the console. ( you might be able to see the switch in the shot with the amp). Obviously a determined theif can get around this but it would slow someone down enough that they might move on to something easier.

What BOSE speakers are these? Good for FJ40?

ok i will post this up again, i used Bose 161's and mounted them under the rear seat in a cage i built along with a couple of amps and crossover and then mounted a mono sub under the drivers seat. got the 8in. sub box at the local shucks auto supply (checker etc) and put a soundstream sub in it. the sub has 120 watts to it and the bose 161's have 75 watts to them (per channel) and the sound quility is very nice. oh and the door speakers are empty that was a PO hack job, i plan on replacing the door panels someday. and during the summer i run half doors.

Nice set-up Lone Gunman!!
I think I'd like that. Here's my situation. I have these nice storage+speaker enclosures that I might be removing to make space for a wider bench (over the wheel wells some).
607619840_Xsyfn-M.jpg

I'd like a storage unit under the bench seat, like yours LoneGun, but have zero fab skills. Where could I go to have something like this made up? (or who.. I'm in OC, CA) What cage material is this? I also considered an aluminum or MDF box, so I could reinstall these infinity speakers in the front panel of the box (kind of like Eshu and many others here have done).

OR.. could I use these small indoor Bose speakers I found in my garage? I think I have 5 of them. I have no idea what model these are, specs, or how they would sound. Does anyone recognize these?
890665896_5HeAE-M.jpg

890665881_vwUiY-M.jpg

890665885_zgmFU-M.jpg
http://yew.smugmug.com/Cars/FJ40/FJ40BOSE3/890665885_zgmFU-M.jpg

They are probably 10 years old or more. These are small enough to put inside a caged enclosure like Lone Gun's.. or I can mount them with the little threaded hole in the back. They seem small enough that they could go pretty much anywhere.. on the roll cage, wheel well, etc.. I don't do any crazy topless off-road, so I'm not too concerned about dust/waterproof speakers (besides, they're basically free, right?)

Ok... THANKS!! :beer::beer::beer:

hey ARC1, the cage is just built out of some 1 inch square tube i had laying around and expanded metal i got from work. i just cut it to fit the size of the seat and made it tall enough to fit the bose 161's and amps etc. inside. and there is a piece of painted plywood inside it that the speakers and amps are attached to. its bolted to the floor in four spots and has steel bars going across under the tub so it doesnt pull through in the event of a crash. i dont know were to go in ca. do any of your buddy's weld ? the cage is easy enough to fab if you can get the material and a chop saw or grinder and cut of wheel. you could mount any speaker you want inside as long as you build the cage acordingly. i also mounted a knnack tool box behind it to store spare parts and tools KNAACK L.L.C. - Secure Jobsite Storage Equipment here are a couple more pics.

and i have to agree with r083rt dont cut your panel up to install stuff. the PO of mine cut the doors and dash for the cd player so oh well on that part. but with a couple amps i can hear my tunes at hi-way speeds just fine.
a1.JPG
IMG_0508a.JPG

Thanks guys.. I have no intent to cut into my rig.. except maybe some small mounting holes in the roll bars for these small Bose speakers? Before I tear into anything, I'll test them out and fix them in the corners somewhere, probably with duct tape or velcro. I like Lone's system with the speakers hidden in the cage. How wide is that rear bench? Can it seat 3 (kids)? I'm considering going on top of the wheel wells to get a little wider bench in there, but it seems like they will be sitting up pretty high, and might even obscure my rear view, or fall out if I go topless! But, that's another thread topic..

I have not seen what I have for a speaker setup in any other thread. So I will will give my 2 cents. I put my speakers under my back jump seats. I have jump seats that have the flip down bar support so I made a round bracket that fits between the bar so bar can be flipped up or down. Speakers are boze and work great if the seats are up or down. I am a bit of a tradionalist and I like that they are hidden and as I usually have my jump seats down so people never see them. I run my cruiser mostly in the summer with the roof off seats down and so they are well protected when the seats are up the round bracket that holds them is black and I think fits well with the look of the 40.

show us a picture of that Else

I'd like a picture of that jump seat setup. I take it they're surface mounted under the seats?

I have not seen what I have for a speaker setup in any other thread. So I will will give my 2 cents. I put my speakers under my back jump seats. I have jump seats that have the flip down bar support so I made a round bracket that fits between the bar so bar can be flipped up or down. Speakers are boze and work great if the seats are up or down. I am a bit of a tradionalist and I like that they are hidden and as I usually have my jump seats down so people never see them. I run my cruiser mostly in the summer with the roof off seats down and so they are well protected when the seats are up the round bracket that holds them is black and I think fits well with the look of the 40.

I took pics but I have to find them..and when I do I will post them. Right now my 40 is parked for the winter ,covered, as I drive the 40 in the summer and my HJ 60 in the winter and where it is I can't run out and take a few more pics ..but I sent you a PM to try and discribe it a bit better till the pictures come. For others out there that might be inerested here is a bit more info ..the bracket is basically a round piece of steel about 4" deep that accomidates the depth of the speaker there is a lip on the edge so 4 bolts can be attached to the underside of the seat.. inside the bracket or tube is a lip that the speaker drops on to and attaches to then the speaker cover is pushed on top of the speaker ( the outer diameter of the speaker cover fits the inner diamerer of the tube ( or Bracket ) ... Clear as Mud ? I know... Post up some pictures !!! and I will as soon as I can.

speakers pic

Here are a couple of pictures of my set up for speakers. I took some pictures of when I built the brackets and installation but of course I can not find them. I only drive this 40 in the summer so the pics are a tad late. As far as how they sound both with the seats up or down and on the highway well I think they are great but it is a landcruiser. I could have made the bracket a little thinner or lower profile but due to poor planning didn't. I also had to move the tab for the strap to hold the seats up. But in all I like them and its anouther idea.
DSCF0396.jpg
DSCF0397.jpg

My simple setup is still going strong.....

fzr400guy-albums-upgrades-picture18653-dscf4085.jpg

fzr400guy-albums-upgrades-picture18652-dscf4083.jpg

Just another idea...

I put these speakers under my front seats, hanging from the custom seat mounts. The fuel tank in my vehicle was relocated to the back, under the tub, so this was a no-brainer. Nice and clean with wires going directly to the Tuffy center console and the Sony Marine head unit, dsx ms60...

The head unit is cool because my ipod hooks up and sits inside, all sealed up and controlled from the removable face.

Sound is WAY better than I ever expected.

The marine unit means it will deal with moisture and dust much better than a standard unit.

sony_xplod_dsx_ms60.png

92230_L4

92230_L3

speakers2.jpg
speakers3.jpg
speakers1.jpg

Just another idea...

I put these speakers under my front seats, hanging from the custom seat mounts. The fuel tank in my vehicle was relocated to the back, under the tub, so this was a no-brainer. Nice and clean with wires going directly to the Tuffy center console and the Sony Marine head unit, dsx ms60...

The head unit is cool because my ipod hooks up and sits inside, all sealed up and controlled from the removable face.

The marine unit means it will deal with moisture and dust much better than a standard unit.

that head unit is sweet, and the speakers under the seat is awsome. best set up I have seen.

Just another idea...

Sweet set up! Love the head unit idea, and you dont have to worry about pulling it out to lock up everytime.
Thanks for the idea:beer:

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/92230_L4

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/92230_L3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom