Speaker Ideas Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have to be honest, the best stereo in the world in a 40 still sounds like the best stereo inside a tuna fish can.

You just cannot get good sound in a cruiser, my vote is go for something loud that you can hear above the drivetrain at highway speed and call it done.

Just my .02

Rezarf <><

LOL Rezarf, the acoustics of a 55 gallon drum :D

Diescipel is right, put the tweeters in your face and try and get enough mid-range to cut through the road noise, gear whine and wind. I suppose it's similar to trying to get good sound on a boat.

I used to istall high end competition systems in college, and I am certain without HEAVY and INTENSIVE sound dampening you will never get "good" sound out of a cruiser.

I tell fellas, buy cheap 6x9's and crank them up.

FWIW, I run two sets of Alpine compenent speakers and one alpine head unit. Crank it up!

Rezarf <><

The only reason I'd bother spending much money is to get a marine head unit. They tend to be pricey, but I tend to forget to throw a tarp over GIR when it rains.

However, my Spark-O-Matic cassette deck is still chugging along strong, as are the cheapo speakers magnetised to the floor. Works well enough that I can recognize a song at speed, and then I just sing along so I can hear it :D

A tuffy console does a decent job of keeping the rain out, the marine face units are cool, but they are bulky to install.

Alpine gets my vote all the time. Ebay has them for under 40 bucks all the time.

Rezarf <><

I mounted them in an over head box, in both my 45 and 40
fj45 radio.jpg

SizzleChest said:
i use these http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/klh/PRD_124368_1594crx.aspx

water proof, cheap and decent sound. i paid approx $25 for a pair. can't go wrong in my opinion.

I use these too and they are pretty good. If you buy indoor/outdoor speakers, make sure they are 4 ohm otherwise they sounds like ass. Regardless, a regular set of car-specific speakers is much better. Or better yet marine in-panel type are the best if you want to be water proof...

dieselcruiserhead said:
I make sure they are 4 ohm otherwise they sounds like ass.

I like the sound of ass.

ALF

here's what i use , good old 6x9's and a decent amp , . sounds good ,i built a cheap ugly box and if it rains i just flip it over , it fits good behind the seats . if ya don't have a heater . been about 4yrs , no one has stolen it yet , been through a couple sets of speakers tho . if it gets taken i'll just have to build another one . also keeps dry under the bikini top . also have about 15 ft of speaker wire so i can thro the box on the ground if need be
IMG_0508 (Medium).JPG

I used a simple install of Bose 151 speakers mounted on the tub via flat strap. Although the speakers face each other, sound is great.
DSC00966.jpg
DSC00967.jpg

I too installed stereo into cars for a living.. not a hobby and agree that a stereo in a fj would sound like crap unless built correctly. I am currently in the process of a ground up rebuild on mine and plan on putting a stereo in it. I honestly feel that if I custom mold some fiberglass boxes into the rear corners and mount some components in there the sound would be great. Seeing that I am not yet ready for primer on my tub I'll build a test set. I'm also going to glass in a sub under the driver seat. Mount some tweeters in the dash and the mids under the dashboard facing the floor "built into inclosures as well". Just an Idea... but from my experience I think it would sound great. As for the sound when the tops on? Who cares I live in texas.

Reactions: AML
I am not saying that people shouldn't go for it. I just don't think anyone is going to get "good" SQ when it is installed in a 40... Loud yes, good... eh, not really.

Post up pics of all that glass work when you get it in, I bet it would look sweet.

I have always thought about a ported box firing up under the drivers seat would be a good deal!

Rezarf <><

my 40 used to have
2 pioneer tweets in the dash
2 4.5" speakers in the doors
2 6x9's in boxes on the fenderwell
2 pioneer 10's in the stock heater location
and
2 infinity perfect 12's int he rear cargo area.

Sounded freaking awesome everywhere...

Till someone robbed me..

Now I have some crappy 6x9's and a $100 marine head unit from Bass pro shops..

Thought I'd post this up. Check a site called www.ubid.com they have marine stereos on there occasionally. dont seem to be too bad a price. decent site imho

Just Purchased My 1st Fj It Is A 1979. Currently It Is In The Shop Being Restored. Was Wondering If Anyone Had Any Ideas For Mounting Speakers (brands, Web Sites To Check Out) Also Would Appreciate Any Photos With Stereo And Speaker Solutions, Thanks
I also have a FJ 40 '79. I left the radio/speakers alone because the face plate is smaller than the new replacements. I installed an amp under my passenger seat with velcro. Connected my ipod and anew set of speakers in small enclosures from the amp and placed them under my rear seats. It works great. Need to install and on/off switch for the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom