Speaker Ideas Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i'll have to find some pics but i used the SOR kick vent speaker mounts they worked pretty well and i can still use the vents, just can't kick them, my left foot rubs when using the clutch if i'm wearing anything heavier than a tennis shoe. I also fabbed up some tweeters that are above the dash stickin up from behind dash pad bolts nice sound when sitting still but the tires sound better than most tunes.

Skillet said:
Just another idea...

I put these speakers under my front seats, hanging from the custom seat mounts. The fuel tank in my vehicle was relocated to the back, under the tub, so this was a no-brainer. Nice and clean with wires going directly to the Tuffy center console and the Sony Marine head unit, dsx ms60...

The head unit is cool because my ipod hooks up and sits inside, all sealed up and controlled from the removable face.

Sound is WAY better than I ever expected.

The marine unit means it will deal with moisture and dust much better than a standard unit.

Looks great!!! I love the I pod feature on that!!

One more thing I did was leave the two rear speaker pigtails tucked conveniently under the console so I can pull them out and plug in a removable speaker box, like the one below, when I want some extra punch...

PP12.jpg

my setup is 2 foot of 6 inch sewer pipe with marine speakers fitted to the end caps....I call it the 'poo tube'

I found these online and will be using them in the 72 I am restoring, easy way to add some speakers up front, plan to mount them on the center hump. I will also be using some boxes in back with some 6 inch speakers.

Select Increments Versa-Pods Unloaded 4" speaker enclosures at Crutchfield.com

Found WHAT? Link? Pic? :flipoff2: (OOOOOHH... now you add the link).

Get a good stereo, a powerful amp and put your speakers wherever you want. Tuffy boxes as Noah mentioned are nice (I took his suggestion a few years back and am pleased). Pop in a sub for some bump and you're good to go. If you have good sound you won't want them next to your ears, they'll sound good even on the freeway.

:beer:

I found these online and will be using them in the 72 I am restoring, easy way to add some speakers up front, plan to mount them on the center hump. I will also be using some boxes in back with some 6 inch speakers.

Select Increments Versa-Pods Unloaded 4" speaker enclosures at Crutchfield.com

Those would be sweet, bolted down and tucked in the rear corners of the tub.

One thing I was going for was out-of-sight-out-of-mind, since I will be topless 99.9% of the time.

@ $78 for my speakers, I am not going to stress on it.

I am new here and wanted to say thanks for the ideas in this thread. I am just starting on a list of what I want/need to do to my 77 FJ40 but a decent sound system is a must have right now while the weather is cool. All the big stuff will be on hold until its in the 100s this summer. PGG

here is the right channel for my alpine head, boxed and mounted to the roll cage. Boxes are bolted to the cage after drilling and tapping and wires fished inside the cage tube. Real solid mounts. small sound ordnance powerd sub on the floor
speakers.jpg
Picture 018.jpg

I got a TDK Sound Cube - portable and can be ran off of batteries if necessary. Its getting housed in an electric junction box - I cut the padding for it to sit directly between the front seats. Mounted an inverter yesterday for it. Used marine grade velcro for both, which eliminates cutting into the tub.

Cutting out the gray junction box on each side to accomodate the 4 sided speaker this evening as well..Ill paint it after the coming weekend camping trip and post up the finished product.

Also if youre a huge nerd - the sound cube has USB on the back - so you can charge a phone or MP3 player!
junkit box.jpg
junkit box.jpg

Speakers

Took Longer to get them powder coated than to make them. Extruded aluminum with cap, cup holder and arm pad. If I make them again they will be longer with the speakers in a seprate area and hinged lid.:doh: The one up front is mounted to the fire wall size 12 shoe fits under.
20120910_181736-1.jpg
20120910_181954.jpg
20120910_181809.jpg

At first I had them here
DSC05765.JPG
Bad quality and no bass.

Then I bought empty speaker housings for $10 a set.
Cut the holes and Voilá....
DSC01128.JPG

Rudi
DSC01128.JPG
DSC05765.JPG

image-2673931483.jpg

image-1076990109.jpg

A buddy gave me some Pioneer Speakers. I have mounted them with velcro so they are very easy to remove if theft is a concern. I also made speaker plug connections in the back/bottom of my tuffy console for ease of removal. Got the parts at Radio Shack. Now, I can install or remove the speakers in about 2 minutes! The kenwood marine receiver is locked up in the tuffy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom