Spare fuel bladders in the doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tough crowd.

Thinking outside the box is a good thing, that's one aspect of this forum that makes it interesting. If no one came up with new ideas we could all shut off
our computers and drive a Prius.

And looking at it the other way around, this mod would give Wits End the
push needed to design an automatic fire suppression system :idea:

:cheers:Happy New Year :cheers:

Do not over pressurize like this guy!!

1577845802556.jpeg

Anyone know what caused the yellow FJ Cruiser to explode?

Covert to propane and pressurize the cab. Of course you will want to contact @Akella for new window runs and door rubbers before hand to cut down on leakage.
Perfect! Plenty of pressure in that propane tank to purge all the air. Same as OP, no air, no fire.

Anyone know what caused the yellow FJ Cruiser to explode?

From memory, Leaking BBQ propane tank inside the truck. Driver was inside when it popped. Using the power window to try to allow gas to escape ignited the cabin.

Or it could have been a different truck. Was a while back. Looked the same.

I don't know if some of you guys are joking around or not but I'm not talking about Ziploc bags and hose bibs and filling my radiator, tires, or windshield reservoir with gas. Obviously those are bad ideas because of thermal expansion. But a flexible bladder in the door, behind the crash bar, would be just as safe as that flimsy little skid plate unde the rig that everyone assumes is safe.

The only problem I see with it is the possibility for the bags to get air in them if someone runs the tank empty on an incline or something.

The extra weight in the door is about 24 lbs per door so nothing concerning there.

Thanks for all the replies

Sounds like a scheme that an aircraft mechanic would conceive. Gas is very volatile can not be played with. Diesel,kerosene,jetA, flashes at about 142f. These fuels can be messed with. Gas flashes at well below zeroF and can not be messed with. No sense in risking your life to keep your rig looking slim. Spare tires are also recommended.

Sounds like a scheme that an aircraft mechanic would conceive. Gas is very volatile can not be played with. Diesel,kerosene,jetA, flashes at about 142f. These fuels can be messed with. Gas flashes at well below zeroF and can not be messed with. No sense in risking your life to keep your rig looking slim. Spare tires are also recommended.
You're wrong obviously

The gas tank being protected by a flimsy skid plate isn’t the issue. The fact there is an entire steel structure (the truck’s body structure) that separates the passengers from the fuel is what is paramount during a collision. All of that protection is gone in the door panel. Nothing protects a flexible bag from impact away from the passenger.

In addition: I’ve seen an 80’s passenger door pushed far enough in to touch the center console. Would take a whole lot less than that to tear open any flexible container used.

The gas tank being protected by a flimsy skid plate isn’t the issue. The fact there is an entire steel structure (the truck’s body structure) that separates the passengers from the fuel is what is paramount during a collision. All of that protection is gone in the door panel. Nothing protects a flexible bag from impact away from the passenger.

In addition: I’ve seen an 80’s passenger door pushed far enough in to touch the center console. Would take a whole lot less than that to tear open any flexible container used.
This is why you should leave engineering to the engineering people. Gasoline is a liquid. Liquids are incompressible (almost, anyway. I don't want to get into the physics of it, but basically we can treat them as infinitely incompressible.) The fluid would actually distribute the force of impact along the A and B pillars perfectly, and the elasticity of the bladder would provide sort of a "shock absorber" in case of impact. You may actually get away from being T-boned with just some paint scratches.

Perfect! Plenty of pressure in that propane tank to purge all the air. Same as OP, no air, no fire.
Propane is no good because it absorbs water from the air and I breathe a lot when I drive, so the moisture from my lungs would dilute the propane.

This is why you should leave engineering to the engineering people. Gasoline is a liquid. Liquids are incompressible (almost, anyway. I don't want to get into the physics of it, but basically we can treat them as infinitely incompressible.) The fluid would actually distribute the force of impact along the A and B pillars perfectly, and the elasticity of the bladder would provide sort of a "shock absorber" in case of impact. You may actually get away from being T-boned with just some paint scratches.

you are making a massive assumption that A) the bladder won’t/can’t be pierced and B) that the magic material and seam seal you choose to utilize will handle the spread of force during the impact. If A or B fail then you have only some heavy card stock between you and whatever liquid is in the bladder.

Unless you have some sort of bunding designed, this is incredibly dumb. But you do you boo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom