Sound Deadening (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you get the chance take some pics of the spray-on "Spectrum." I'm curious to see what it looks like.

If you get the chance take some pics of the spray-on "Spectrum." I'm curious to see what it looks like.

This is the first coat. The second coat I thinned a little and achieved a smoother textured finish.

2831645170041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

hey mike,

what is your opinion on this stuff? Also how much did you buy? If you covered this in your 137 page write up then sorry but I am too lazy to look it up!

Clint

Spectrum spray

hey mike,

what is your opinion on this stuff? Also how much did you buy? If you covered this in your 137 page write up then sorry but I am too lazy to look it up!

Clint

You're really lazy cause I table of contented my novel with links. Anyways, as far as sound deadening I think it really did help and it didn't smell life threatening when applying. I'm using it as a liner and think if I threw some carpet on it I'd be even quieter. I also have a nasty sound leak from my shifter boot which is why I keep that towel wrapped around my shifters. I plan to make a covering that's insulated/lined to keep the sound out of that. I originally thought that spectrum wouldn't hold up to foot traffic but it's held up pretty well and I'm not worried about spilling liquid (or fixing my windshield leak) on the floor, always good when hauling kids.

I used 1 1/2 gallons to put two coats on the interior and on the firewall/tranny tunnel (engine side) using their spray gun. It does seem to retain heat once I've heated it up with the way I've run my exhaust and have no heat shielding. I will be adding heat shielding soon. I also used the firewall product and maybe I'm expecting too much from it but it doeesn't keep the heat out.

Each level I did I reduced more noise transmission from my diesel and there's only a few more things left for a COMPLETE sound deadening of my cruiser.

Last edited:
This is the first coat. The second coat I thinned a little and achieved a smoother textured finish.

2831645170041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

wow - looks great! any feedback on how much it helped? any measurements? (trying to guage what i will see - assuming this truck ever rolls again...taking FOREVER!) LOL

thx!

rob

Sorry, no dB measurements. It did help but I've also lined (not spectrum) the doors, have a thick hood mat barrier, lined the inner firewall (not spectrum) and have a thick mat barrier there. All that has made a big difference with running my loud diesel. The doors close with a thud and not a tink. Still like to get new weatherstripping, finish rear interior 1/4 panels and line the rear 1/4s. Thinking about putting a custom snap in carpet that's easily removed too.

Liner product won't offer as much sound deadening as sound deadening products will. And sound deadening products won't hold up to the abuse a liner can take. For the inside I'm glad I went with spectrum especially since sound control was my main objective. If this was for the outside I'd definitely lean towards a liner type product.

Liner product won't offer as much sound deadening as sound deadening products will. And sound deadening products won't hold up to the abuse a liner can take. For the inside I'm glad I went with spectrum especially since sound control was my main objective. If this was for the outside I'd definitely lean towards a liner type product.

*sniff* *sniff*

I smell processed, canned meat product...

*sniff* *sniff*

I smell processed, canned meat product...

Not quite sure how to read your comment. I'm just a satisfied non-affiliated customer that did my research and like the product with first hand experience.

Not quite sure how to read your comment. I'm just a satisfied non-affiliated customer that did my research and like the product with first hand experience.

No no, not you. The guy you were replying to :D

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

sound deadening materials

i am trying to quiet down my FJ 62 with a diesel engine swap, an isuzu 4bd1t. The diesel is loud the exhaust is on the driver side, and long road trips has this drone, the exhausting sound.

i have some of the B-quiet extreme, and was also curious if I need to bust out, break out, scrape out the OEM asphalt deadener. it is rock solid, and on there, i have read this thread and most seem like you do not need to... just get it clean, and make it adhere well.

Getting the lower vents off were pretty easy, they barely come out, with just enough room to slide them out after removing the plastic screws.

I am curious if i should add some other noise barrier? I feel inclined to add the Vcomp B-Quiet sound deadening materials - B-Quiet Vcomp

thanks all for the notes, and help, i can not wait until i can ride in my FJ62, going 70mph, and getting 22 mpg, in peace and quiet.

If you are going to run carpet than I wouldn't worry about getting the tar up, just layer over the top of it.

I've used a product similar to the B-quiet stuff that also has a reflective layer on it so I could use it in my engine bay and it does knock down the sound. I had extra after the hood so I put a layer on my interior firewall when I had the dash out and it knocked some more sound out. With running a diesel I doubt it will ever be quiet but talking without yelling can be acheived.

One area I haven't seen much talk on is the tcase shifter boot. The factory one does OK but I think a good amount of sound comes in through that hole. Running just a rubber boot (my setup called for a triple boot) just doesn't hack it and I typically wrap a towel around it to knock out some dBs. I have plans to leave the boot on for water protection and sew up something to go over the top that has a deadening liner of some kind.

Last edited:
I've hit a brick wall on my install (no time and other distractions), BUT recommend pulling the old tar sound mats. Easy to do - some dry ice and a hammer knock it out in big chunks. Took my brother and I 2 hours to completely strip all of mine.

Also - the VComp should work great. I know the foam you guys installed helps, but foam is a decoupler, which works *best* when you have another layer (like the captured layer in the vcomp) to block that is not touching - either captured like vcomp, or floating on top of the foam. Like Luxury Liner Pro, or 2 products glued together from Sounddeadenershowdown. He has CCFoam and Vinyl seperate so you get get what you need.

HTH - GL!

mark, what do you think of trying to put some of the quiet***p in the engine bay? do you think there'll be an issue with heat exposure, or do you think it'll work alright?

i ordered the foam as well a few minutes ago -- 10 ft and only $8!!!! for 2nd day UPS shipping. it'll be here for the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom