Sound Deadening (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dudeman.ca
Well, I finally did it, I threw down for some Dyna Mat® "Extreme" plus some Original Dyna Mat® and did the whole inside floor/wheel wells and rear panels.

After having no carpet in the rig for years (spending two days hammer and chiseling up the factory sound deadening so I was able to get to metal for welding), I've decided to mute the noise.

My transmission access panel was not even bolted down, so noise and heat were just pouring in.

Let me say, this stuff is working so well, it's expensive but is worth it's weight in gold.

I had read a great thread on here which had a link to a gentleman who had performed an extensive test of pretty much all the popular name brand as well as hardware store products.

In my findings, there was quite a difference between Dyna Mat® Original and the Dyna Mat®t Extreme:

Dyna Mat® Original seems to be like an adhesive rubber membrane which unless applied with a heat gun and applied in conjunction with the Dyna Mat® 1" roller (good $8-10 investment) can be very labour intensive - side note, my BJ60 has 2 coats of POR 15 under 2 coats of Herculiner (not a smooth finish for adhesion) however, as you get more familiar with working this product and before your hands quit on you, you'll get it to stick.

Dyna Mat® Extreme was an absolute pleasure to work with, I had actually started with this product for my project and then purchased the Dyna Mat® Original for the rest of my project.
This Dyna Mat® Extreme has the feel of a pliable tar based product with a top sheet of foil to deflect heat - THIS STUFF IS STICKY!!! and is very accommodating when it comes to contours, keep in mind, if you thought paper cuts were annoying, think about the top sheet of foil slicing away at the tops of your fingers as you're applying this stuff.

First impressions:
The first session working with this stuff, I did the front section (just in front of the pedals to the rear of the front seats) - AND WOW, this seemed as if I was driving a different truck (notice how I did not say a new truck) this was a huge difference in noise and heat reduction I was super pleased, and each evening as I made time to apply more (Dyna Mat® Original in the rear section) the vehicle became less noisy from the inside.

My Fiancé has only known this truck to be a loud rat which always needed work, but as I do the work, this BJ60 is getting better with age.

Chuckles from the slow lane!

PS. I purchased a pack which contained 36 square feet of Dyna Mat® Extreme and a pack which contained 36 square feet of Dyna Mat® Original

PPS: The dashboard grab bar for the passenger is a nice stainless steel door handle from a civic centre.
Drivers-side-Dyna-Mat-Extre.jpg
Passenger-side-Dyna-Mat-Ext.jpg
Passenger-side-Dyna-Mat-2.jpg

Last edited:
Double up on carpet padding when you re-install your carpet pad. It will be Lexus quiet in there. I dyna-matted mine (I did the door skins too) a couple of years ago and I think it's still one of my favorite mods on my truck. Much quieter. Looks great.

Very nice, this is something I would like to do in the future as well. Do you plan on going further into the back seat area with it or even the cargo area? Which product do you think would work better for the rear?

Shhhhhhh, so quiet.

sl33py said:
this is on my wish list. How did you do the back? pics?!

I'll shoot some pics tonight of the rear section "Dyna Mat® Original for the rest of my project", before I put down the carpet.

...and regarding the double under padding, that is a good suggestion, however, my stereo install guy (who's done years worth of installations) suggests using commercial grade carpeting under your factory carpet, cut into shape/pieces (as it's not molded/shaped) and if it ever gets wet, pitch it and put a new piece in its place underneath - it will also sound deaden more efficiantly than regular padding.

(co-pilot pic)
KCF-bobble.jpg

Last edited:
Rig of Mortis said:
That depends who you know of course.

You can spend $300-400 CDN

which used to be like $1.72 - lol

went to canada and just gave them regular 'ol amerikan money cause the 10 cents canadian back wasn't worth the hassle.

Rig of Mortis said:
I'll shoot some pics tonight of the rear section "Dyna Mat® Original for the rest of my project", before I put down the carpet.

...and regarding the double under padding, that is a good suggestion, however, my stereo install guy (who's done years worth of installations) suggests using commercial grade carpeting under your factory carpet, cut into shape/pieces (as it's not molded/shaped) and if it ever gets wet, pitch it and put a new piece in its place underneath - it will also sound deaden more efficiantly than regular padding.

(co-pilot pic)
So you lined the inside of the truck as well? How does the DM orig stick?

look forward to the pics. I didn't know there was a canadian Colonel! hehehe

do you have it all lined now? Looks great!

rob

sl33py said:
So you lined the inside of the truck as well? How does the DM orig stick?

look forward to the pics. I didn't know there was a canadian Colonel! hehehe

do you have it all lined now? Looks great!

rob

I only lined the inside, I did not line the outside at all.
The DM Original was not too happy in sticking to the Herculiner® however, after washing it down with soapy water/scrub brush/ rinse with a sponge and sucking it up with a shopvac, the product was much more adhesive but be prepared to use a heat gun and roller in order to get it to stick properly.

If it doesn't stick it won't do what it's supposed to do which is absorb vibrations in the metal, no stick means you're just throwing on a thin liner under your carpet, which is pretty close to useless. I'd reccommend using the DM Extreme.

Laugh all you want regarding our CDN dollar, just remember two words:

"Factory Diesel".

-Just playin' fair!

Thanks for the post.

Last edited:
R of M - Thanks for posting this up. Even though I've seen other testimonials on Dynamat I needed this kick in the ass to finally get mine done.

If you're going to do this mod soon, hold off on upgrading your stereo system, it turns an average sound system into a good system. :D

Also check out the B-Quiet Ultimate http://www.b-quiet.com/, it's about half the cost of Dynomat Extreme and compares pretty well. I did my door skins, and most of the back with one roll plus a small roll of their cheaper stuff. I still need to do the front, but it is a lot quieter already.

i would recommend doing some research before spending money on any ole' sound mat material. most of the cheaper ones are simply asphalt based materials that don't stick well to surfaces - ie: they slip/slide off in high heat!

there's a great site that i posted about and Rig of Mortis mentions in his original post that does a complete comparison of the different materials being marketed today. while Dynamat is the most well known and has a good reputation, there are a couple others that are completely viable, and cheaper alternatives.

i couldn't find my reply to Spook's thread that had the link. i'll dig around tonight and repost on this thread.

i spent way too much time researching these different possibilties in an effort to not get raped while still getting a decent quality material. i just find it shocking the prices Dynamat gets away with charging.

RoM - great writeup and thanks for sharing. i've been putting off this project but should do it while the weather is still warm.

great write up ROM. yeah, the factory diesel is a bummer down here in the US. oh well, my guage is in mph and no rust on the frame so it all evens out - hehehe.

If you or loeky can find the website with the reviews that would be awesome. I looked at the bquiet stuff and even had some samples of others sent. Anyone chime in with what they used and how well it sticks? I'd like to do the door skins on mine as well - what did you all use?

great thread!

rob

sl33py said:
Is this the writeup?

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

reading now...

that's the one! everyone should read up on that site, if only the conclusions page for recommenedations.

what really got me was not necessarily what the products were made out of, but how easily some of them melted and slid around. that would really suck to have a pool of s*** in the rear quarters.

in any case - i'm sure looking forward to getting this project started.

I did the dynamat extreme on my FJ60. I did the floors as Rig of Mortis has in his rig from the front to the back. I also used dynamat extreme on the inside of the cardboard door panel as well as dynamat extreme on the inside portion of the door.

For the heat, I bought 2 pieces of the Dynamat Extremeliner and laid one over the shifters. I laid the other one on the floor of the back seat.

It is probably one of the best things I did to the cruiser. I can actually talk to the passenger without having to scream while I'm on the freeway.

www.etronics.com

They had the best prices I'd seen online.

Great feedback everyone.

Sorry, no photos tonight as I blew a slave cylinder on the highway an spent the evening wrestling with my CDN rust - not budging, I couldn't break the soft line free.

The funniest part was the flatbed driver asking me why I kept checking out my truck while it was on the deck as we were screaming down the highway, I replied "I've never seen my truck doing 140 Km/h" - He didn't get it.

I thought I'd have good karma from my thread.

I suppose it's a blessing as I'm taking a week and a half road trip into Quebec in two days, better to fail closer to home I guess.

The good news; I got my stereo installed two days ago (first stereo in the 9 years I've own this old girl) that in conjuction with all the sound deadening makes for an enjoyable vacation - My ears are still ringing.

I collected my cleaned carpets from the detail shop this evening and I will snap some flicks of the Dyna Mat® in the rear section prior to the install.

Last edited:
I wonder how well that lizard skin stuff they sell in summit and other places works. Its a spray on type of thing, you can use it for undercoating too. It might not be as heavy but you could probably get better coverage, especially inside the doors and such.

No affiliation, but anyone interested in sound dampening should check out Second Skin Audio's products. http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

I'm just about finished using their Damplifier (butyl mat) on the floors and doors of my 62 followed by their Overkill (closed cell foam). I'll post some pics as soon as I can figure out how to resize them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom