SAS Solid Axle Summit 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome! thanks for posting the video I loved the music and editing.

Thanks Roma!! It was my pleasure to catch such an awesome event! Thanks for the cruise and for the nice looking ride to photo!

After you get a rest, let's hear about how the spring hanger repair went.

John had an issue with what looked like a broken spring hanger on his left front. He finished the ride regardless and never made a bit of fuss about it.

I will say that this man is like John Wayne as much as John McVicker. Not one second of doubt or negative, just go forward atitude and good words to all.

I'm glad to now know you and be your friend. Glad you made it home safe.

Hi Pat @dogfishlake, here's the backstory. And thanks for the kind words, although not deserved...and I have verified this with Maureen, and she was pretty emphatic about it .

Broke off the Spring hanger from the frame on the R-front leaf spring. This resulted in no support at that location, lots of banging & steering wheel 180 out. Broke it Wednesday on Poughkeepsie, heard the banging but didn't find the issue until Thurs on Black Bear. Had to continue BB because as we know, you just can't turn around & go home on BB.

The real heroes in the repair are many. I'll 'try' to recap the repair. The main man was Jason Hansen & a fellow Cruiser Head by the name of Dennis D'Agnese (welder from Dolores, Co) who was parking his 40 for the picture taking when I was introduced to him by Casey. Dennis looked at the damage & said to stop by his shop on my drive back to Ca & he would get after it, but that it would be best to fix it before driving anymore.

Dennis suggested to bolt the spring hanger to the frame w/grade 8 bolts. He located 2 matching unused holes in the spring hanger & the frame. Well , anyone who's installed leaf springs to the axle/frame knows lining up the holes can be a serious PITA, & these were very small 3/8" holes. I was thinking 'no way'.

Enter @Jason hansen , while waiting for the start of the evening prize drawings he was downing several 9.5 beers & started digging a deep hole for himself...'not a prob John, piece of cake', 'I line up bolt holes for a living', (he's a lineman for the Power Co in Moab). I kept suggesting more 9.5's as his hole kept getting deeper.

I went into town very early Friday morn to get the grade 8's. I suspect Jason was having some Alka Seltzer. I asked the store owner to recommend a welder. The welder surveyed the damage and said as it stood he could repair the damage in 4 hrs @ $100/hr but he had to start by 10:30am as he had other obligations.

I started back to camp and Jason calls my cell wondering where the heck I was...we had work to do. When I reached camp, Jason had his Hi Lift ready and his rig lined up so we could use his winch to move my axle in place, just in case. Amazingly, in an hour he had the bolts in place & torqued down. On lookers, James, John, Jake etc gave him valuable advice...I handed the bolts to Jason.

The repair 'looked' solid but I wanted it welded for the trip home. Got to the welder (super guy) @ 10:20am. He got to work & by a bit after 11am I was on my way back to camp. The welder also repaired a crack in my frame as the result of the original damage.

Jason was on target...piece of cake. Fri afternoon we wheeled with @DickM & Sat we did Yankee Boy with Jason/Monica. The repair is still good.

Long winded story, but it sure shows what a great bunch of guys/gals hang out & support SAS. Everyone wants to help the other guy!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Hunter and I made it back in to to Seattle last night. Big shout out of thanks to Chris for the being such a great road warrior/ travel buddy along the route down and back.

You all know how great it was to hang at SAS so I figured i’d share some photos on the trip back. The full story on the way there and back is in the works, i’ll be posting it in a thread on the 60 page. I figure if more know about how amazing this event is the better.

Stay tuned.

3B57EBFF-C969-494C-9823-2A8C928C873A.jpeg

E1B64F7A-921B-4EC2-8FA4-5DFCA462ACF5.jpeg

B59F96CC-6488-4178-82E6-A5C4F7724B98.jpeg

720A20ED-0F4C-41FC-9416-BAE1DD1547DD.jpeg

60B161C6-2D9A-4FDE-B783-4CB2BAF3125C.jpeg

Hi Pat @dogfishlake, here's the backstory. And thanks for the kind words, although not deserved...and I have verified this with Maureen, and she was pretty emphatic about it .

Broke off the Spring hanger from the frame on the R-front leaf spring. This resulted in no support at that location, lots of banging & steering wheel 180 out. Broke it Wednesday on Pokeepsie, heard the banging but didn't find the issue until Thurs on Black Bear. Had to continue BB because as we know, you just can't turn around & go home on BB.

The real heroes in the repair are many. I'll 'try' to recap the repair. The main man was Jason Hansen & a fellow Cruiser Head by the name of Dennis D'Agnese (welder from Dolores, Co) who was parking his 40 for the picture taking when I was introduced to him by Casey. Dennis looked at the damage & said to stop by his shop on my drive back to Ca & he would get after it, but that it would be best to fix it before driving anymore.

Dennis suggested to bolt the spring hanger to the frame w/grade 8 bolts. He located 2 matching unused holes in the spring hanger & the frame. Well , anyone who's installed leaf springs to the axle/frame knows lining up the holes can be a serious PITA, & these were very small 3/8" holes. I was thinking 'no way'.

Enter @Jason hansen , while waiting for the start of the evening prize drawings he was downing several 9.5 beers & started digging a deep hole for himself...'not a prob John, piece of cake', 'I line up bolt holes for a living', (he's a lineman for the Power Co in Moab). I kept suggesting more 9.5's as his hole kept getting deeper.

I went into town very early Friday morn to get the grade 8's. I suspect Jason was having some Alka Seltzer. I asked the store owner to recommend a welder. The welder surveyed the damage and said as it stood he could repair the damage in 4 hrs @ $100/hr but he had to start by 10:30am as he had other obligations.

I started back to camp and Jason calls my cell wondering where the heck I was...we had work to do. When I reached camp, Jason had his Hi Lift ready and his rig lined up so we could use his winch to move my axle in place, just in case. Amazingly, in an hour he had the bolts in place & torqued down. On lookers, James, John, Jake etc gave him valuable advice...I handed the bolts to Jason.

The repair 'looked' solid but I wanted it welded for the trip home. Got to the welder (super guy) @ 10:20am. He got to work & by a bit after 11am I was on my way back to camp. The welder also repaired a crack in my frame as the result of the original damage.

Jason was on target...piece of cake. Fri afternoon we wheeled with @DickM & Sat we did Yankee Boy with Jason/Monica. The repair is still good.

Long winded story, but it sure shows what a great bunch of guys/gals hang out & support SAS. Everyone wants to help the other guy!

View attachment 1767834

View attachment 1767835

View attachment 1767836

Very good news. I have no idea how I missed the operation of repairing your truck, I love that stuff! It sounds like a well managed repair though, glad it worked out.

I did have fun getting greasy working on @EasternYeti 's truck after Poughkeepsie to get the 4wd functioning again. I just don't feel at home with clean hands!

Hunter and I made it back in to to Seattle last night. Big shout out of thanks to Chris for the being such a great road warrior/ travel buddy along the route down and back.

You all know how great it was to hang at SAS so I figured i’d share some photos on the trip back. The full story on the way there and back is in the works, i’ll be posting it in a thread on the 60 page. I figure if more know about how amazing this event is the better.

Stay tuned.

View attachment 1767793

View attachment 1767792

View attachment 1767888

View attachment 1767893

View attachment 1767894

Man, that bottom picture should be hanging on your wall! Awesome

That is awesome news John. Glad it was repairable and you made it home safe. How's the carb doing, better power?
This has to be the most talented group of people in one spot with the same goal I have ever been around. Everyone pitches in to help his fellow man. Thanks to all of you for making SAS such a cool gathering.
Shout out to Jake / @rhah for making the Trail Leader stickers. Awesome job my friend.

20180813_125056.jpg

Broke off the Spring hanger from the frame on the R-front leaf spring. This resulted in no support at that location, lots of banging & steering wheel 180 out. Broke it Wednesday on Pokeepsie, heard the banging but didn't find the issue until Thurs on Black Bear. Had to continue BB because as we know, you just can't turn around & go home on BB.

View attachment 1767834

View attachment 1767835

View attachment 1767836

Sweet, you caught me in the pic so it looks like I did something! :D

Sweet, you caught me in the pic so it looks like I did something! :D

I thought that was you in the pic but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help!

Carb repair we did at camp solved that issue.

Had a bit of overheating on the way home on long hills, turning off the A/C till getting to the top always solved the issue, but I like A/C all the time. So today I will be installing the Green Fan Clutch for An 80 onto my 60, hopefully that will solve the issue.

John, when you bring your wife along you get the green light for mods.

Stay tuned.

View attachment 1767793

View attachment 1767792

View attachment 1767888

View attachment 1767893

View attachment 1767894
Hunter is a trooper! I wish we could have made the return trip with you guys..

@NookShneer

That picture of you and Hunter is awesome!
Been even better with your cruiser in it. Looks like it should be on a travel magazine cover. Makes me want to take my kids on a drive to Jackson and do the same thing.
5FCE88B2-3874-4E4F-8CA9-97BFFF1975CA.png

Last edited:
Badges - CHECK
873DAF83-9CC0-4E7C-B1BC-C310B4BB5B60.jpeg
1AE61696-D98C-406B-BD0E-BE475CD8FB06.jpeg

Just curious, where did you buy those stickers? Shops in Silverton/Ouray?

There are multiple places to get these. We bought ours in Ouray. Dont remember the name of the store but 7th Ave and 3rd Street (main street through Ouray)

^^^ Every other store seemed to have some version of them. This was the only style that had all the trails I went on.

Might be worth checking with the local sheriff & cops. Maybe BLM & USFS.

I was hoping somebody would notice them and put them in plain sight like on a stick or upon a shelf or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom