Single Stage Paints ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Just full of questions tonight.

What are some good single stage paint types and manufacturers that are out there. Is there a good type to use that is pretty fool proof for a novice painter?

I'd like to use a good paint that will last and not fade in the sun.

PPG?
Dupont?

I used Martin Senour auto paint. You can get it at NAPA. I think it was a little cheaper than PPG or Dupont. They have a nice single stage acrylic enamel that is similar to the original stuff used on FJ40s. Was real easy to work with and their web site had easy product use and mixing documents to download.

www.martinsenour-autopaint.com

I run PPG Concept 2000...good single stage and I haven't seen any fading from sun exposure (though I did get some when snow/ice sat on it for the better part of a couple months, but nothing that some Nu Finish couldn't fix).

Easy to use for a newbie to painting, especially since sanding out any runs is a piece of cake. My cruiser was my first attempt at painint.

I prefer RM (BASF) Alpha Cryl or PPG DCC Concept.

I've used em all, but always come back to PPG. I used DuPont for years, but kept having problems with fisheyes in particular. Nope, wasn't me. Turned out to be a bad batch of reducer, don't know whether it was the local distributor or DuPont itself, but they paid to strip and repaint an entire FJ40, in and out. That's not an experience I'd care to repeat at any price.

I've been using the Napa crossfire urethane enamel on the last few things I've painted. Did the cruiser with it 3 years or so ago after seeing how well it worked on a friends dump truck. I used the same bright red he used. Mine is garaged, and seldom driven but his Mack obviously isn't. When I park the cruiser next to the mack they are both still the same color. Very impressive for red. I have found the urethane easier to paint with than regular enamel. I don't seem to have anywhere near as many issues with runs and orange peel. It also seems to match really well, I painted the trunk lid of my mustang last summer and it matches the color of the car perfectly. Again, I was impressed because it's bright red too.

Just full of questions tonight.

What are some good single stage paint types and manufacturers that are out there. Is there a good type to use that is pretty fool proof for a novice painter?

I'd like to use a good paint that will last and not fade in the sun.

PPG?
Dupont?

Not sure if you are thinking along these lines, but I resisted using a 2-stage paint for a number of projects and then eventually I tried a PPG 2-stage and loved it. I now think the 2-stage paints are more "fool proof" than single stage paints for several reasons:
-the base coat of 2 stage paints dry very fast and can minimise dust and other things from getting into the paint as it is drying.
-if you do make a mistake in the base coat, or something unexpected happens, you can be sanding it out in less than an hour, respraying, and still applying the clear coat the same day.
-the base coats are very easy to spray without getting sags and runs. You only need enough base coat to get the color on the panel, no more.
-the clear coat is a little harder to apply then the base coat, and you need good lighting to see it especially the 2nd, 3rd, etc coats, but if you do make a mistake and get a run or orange peel, you can buff it out and you are not affecting the color, just the clear.
-in the worst cases or mistakes in the clear, you can sand and reshoot clear and select panels and no one will ever know because again, you are only messing with the clear and not the color base.
-you can apply a two tone or multi color scheme and apply clear the same day.

Here's an fj40 I painted in my garage using Omni (PPG) 2 stage. Color is Cygnus 012.
980723-001.jpg
980723-003.jpg
980723-007.jpg

diamond vogel

I am bull headed using only diamond vogel 2component urethanes. They do not require a clear coat, are second to none resisting salt, gas , oil and other chemicals. We have used them to paint salt trucks, and I painted my fj40 frame with it as well as my fj62 body.

shines better than base coat clear coat, and can be clay barred or whatever to polish.
paint can samples.jpg

U-Tech makes a great single stage Urethane too.

i just bough some sherman williams singles stage
20 buck gallon and called it good,

my rig gets scratched up and beat so im not worried about showroom floorness.

looked great too, wet sanded it and its purdy

single stage paint has a tendency to run more than base coat will. keep that in mind.

What is inherently different in the make up of a base color that supposedly makes it less run prone?

Thanks!

IMHO...base coats are more forgiving than single stages b/c of product thickness (weight) and the fact that the reducer used makes the base coat flash / dry quicker...it seems like the single stages have all of the pigment, clear etc. "all rolled into one"...and they stay wet / 'tacky' longer while drying making them more prone to sags. Single stage paints go on thicker...
Basically, single stage paints 'flash' slower than a BCCC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom