Shop Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to the area and looking for some recommendations for local shops near the Kennesaw/Cartersville GA area. For now I'm starting with suspension work (looking at a OME kit) but will likely have on going needs for my 94 FZJ80.

I don't have a reliable place to work on my rig at my new place so I'm looking for a shop I can trust in the area.

Thanks for any input you guys can offer!

I'm new to the area and looking for some recommendations for local shops near the Kennesaw/Cartersville GA area. For now I'm starting with suspension work (looking at a OME kit) but will likely have on going needs for my 94 FZJ80.

I don't have a reliable place to work on my rig at my new place so I'm looking for a shop I can trust in the area.

Thanks for any input you guys can offer!

Welcome to the neighborhood.
As already identified, ACC is a popular and reliable shop. Peter Merriam is very reliable too, but his Norcross shop might be a longer commute from Kennesaw.

You did not indicate if your preference is to do most work on your 80 yourself. If that is the case, I recommend attending the Ga Cruiser monthly meetings so you can get to know the crew. Opportunities can pop up.

Lifting an 80 is fairly straight forward and do-able in a home shop too. I installed the lift in my wife's 80 in the driveway. Not ideal but it worked. Budget realities and the pride of doing the work yourself are parameters that most of us live with.

Where in the Kennesaw area are you?

Welcome to the neighborhood.
As already identified, ACC is a popular and reliable shop. Peter Merriam is very reliable too, but his Norcross shop might be a longer commute from Kennesaw.

You did not indicate if your preference is to do most work on your 80 yourself. If that is the case, I recommend attending the Ga Cruiser monthly meetings so you can get to know the crew. Opportunities can pop up.

Lifting an 80 is fairly straight forward and do-able in a home shop too. I installed the lift in my wife's 80 in the driveway. Not ideal but it worked. Budget realities and the pride of doing the work yourself are parameters that most of us live with.

Where in the Kennesaw area are you?

Thank you all for the recommendations!

@LDowney I would love to come to the monthly meetings and meet the gang! When and where do they take place?

I am open to doing the work myself but have little to no experience wrenching so there be some projects I will still need a good shop to depend on I am sure.

I don't know the chapter meeting time and location. As I recall, it was the first Tuesday of the month. Reminder notices are normally posted here on this clubhouse page in advance of the meeting.

Thank you all for the recommendations!

@LDowney I would love to come to the monthly meetings and meet the gang! When and where do they take place?

I am open to doing the work myself but have little to no experience wrenching so there be some projects I will still need a good shop to depend on I am sure.

We've been meeting in Norcross but traffic is a bear so we recently started migrating to the North Alpharetta/South Cumming area. The last few and probably the next one will be an Jim and Nick BBQ off 141 and 400.

Meetings are always the 1st Tuesday of each month, officially start at 7:30 but we start showing up around 6:30.

@MichaelDailyLC

Baker Offroad

This place is in Alpharetta (guy runs a really nice shop behind his house). Excellent welder, repairs, and installer. Can do pretty much everything (He is doing my GX470 with 4.56 R&P and ARB lockers, an antirock sway, and a few other things as I type this)

He runs at his own pace and only takes cash so make sure you ping them before you stop by. I take all the big projects to him these days since I am WAY closer to his place than ACC, Peter, or anyone else.

If you just need a lift and can wait till I have a free weekend, I am happy to help. Just did an FJ last weekend. 80s are much easier.

@MichaelDailyLC

Baker Offroad

This place is in Alpharetta (guy runs a really nice shop behind his house). Excellent welder, repairs, and installer. Can do pretty much everything (He is doing my GX470 with 4.56 R&P and ARB lockers, an antirock sway, and a few other things as I type this)

He runs at his own pace and only takes cash so make sure you ping them before you stop by. I take all the big projects to him these days since I am WAY closer to his place than ACC, Peter, or anyone else.

If you just need a lift and can wait till I have a free weekend, I am happy to help. Just did an FJ last weekend. 80s are much easier.

Thanks for tip and the offer! Right now the first project I'm planning for is the lift. To my knowledge everything down there is original and I just rolled over 223k so there's a chance a few other items may need replaced as well but I'm not sure what they may be. I've read mixed reports about the difs and what should be done.

I'm going to try and make it to the meeting on Tuesday so maybe I'll see some of you guys there!

Chris, Nope. I flew back last night for the weekend and fly back on Monday night.
Sounds like a crap schedule. I guess it must be worth it. How long is this job supposed to last?

Sounds like a crap schedule. I guess it must be worth it. How long is this job supposed to last?

Paying the bills requires it. That makes it a necessity. We can discuss if it is worth when you get back from Manila.
It reflects my failure to save more and invest better, which could have allowed me to be retired already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom