Shocks FJ40 Outside Frame, rear shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen a lot on here but not on this particular question. First off, I'm a newbie, first build.

I've read a bit about designing for shock mounting, locations etc. This basic article was helpful: Everything you wanted to know about Shock Absorbers - 4x4Review Off Road Magazine I realize it gets way more complicated, thus the search for opinions here.

Looking for opinions, and reasoning, about mounting rear shocks just outside the frame on an FJ40, SOA, to allow for a larger fuel tank in place of where the original rear crossmember/shock mounts would be? There would be another crossmember anyway for an anti wrap bar.

It seems to me there would be room on an SOA to do this. Slightly raked as needed. Yes they would be more vertical instead of angled as original. Is the original angle necessary for lateral axle stability?

This is outside the box thinking and I'm sure I'm probably missing something obvious.

When I flipped my rear springs I figured out the extended and compressed lengths of the shocks and then ran them forward inside the frame rail. I welded new studs onto the spring plates and fabbed some upper mounts that tucked inside the frame rails. It’s worked well for 15 years.

Picture?

When I flipped my rear springs I figured out the extended and compressed lengths of the shocks and then ran them forward inside the frame rail. I welded new studs onto the spring plates and fabbed some upper mounts that tucked inside the frame rails. It’s worked well for 15 years.

Yes, pics would be great when you can.

I'm wondering if they are mounted more outboard than original. If so, this might allow for more room for fuel tank where original tube crossmember was located.

As promised, rusty crusty forward shock mounting (cobwebs too)

92412B77-5061-47BB-B255-31D988D67896.jpeg

5AE11FDC-0433-4723-939B-37D3847EB2F1.jpeg

C85D16BC-BDF7-48BE-AAD8-6E419235599D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom