Semi-Expo '96 LC II Diesel Build - Honduras (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went to a junk yard today and scored 6 split rims for $200!
IMG_7406.JPG
IMG_7408.JPG
IMG_7412.JPG

Okay question time!
The split rims are a different back spacing which brings them in a lot. The fender flares just look dumb now. Should I just remove them and do body work over the screw holes or get spacers to push the rims out???

Flare vs No Flares...personally I love the flareless look. Maybe I'll pull them and just think on it for awhile.
IMG_7420.JPG

I'm sure I paid more, but others wanted over $400. :eek:

That is what happens if a white guy wanders by himself at those places,been there done that.....after a while I send a middleman.....who probably still charged me double what he payed ;)

Yeah I sent this "middleman" once...oh "I'll get you a great price!" Granted it was cheaper, however I saw him slip $60 of the cost in his pocket. The funny thing is he was trying to do it without me noticing, but he would fail at a magician. LOL.

Dropped off rims to be stripped and painted.
IMG_7423.JPG

Visited the dirty river today.
IMG_7429.JPG

Thinking of a high lift jack mount and using various aspects of these designs.
IMG_7450.JPG
IMG_7451.GIF
IMG_7452.JPG

Is there a Toyota that I can take the disks brakes off of and bolt directly up to our rear axle on our 1996 78 Series Landcruiser??
IMG_7517.JPG

A little progress. I'm going to have to hit the rings with a wire wheel because they just used sand paper and hit the rust flakes off with a knife. :eek: When I'm done I'll take it back for paint.

IMG_7540.JPG
IMG_7541.JPG

Traded rims with the firefighters today. Then we discovered that the previous owner put the wrong wheel studs and so they welded them in! So we had a guy come out on site, remove the shaft and cut them off to put the right ones on. Yes I plan on removing the yellow from the rims. :) I still plan on redoing the other split rims and maybe sell them stateside. ;)

IMG_7650.JPG
IMG_7653.JPG
IMG_7654.JPG
IMG_7655.JPG
IMG_7656.JPG

Hola gringo,

I just spent over a yesr in El Salvador . I feel your pain with trying to locate parts and such .
I can recommend to you a couple places there that can help you with custom work.
I have 89 rj70 I there and have had done some modifications to it.
If you want custom bumpers made and made awesome check out Raptor 4x4 in San Salvador . They can fabricate with the best of them. They also do suspension and engine mods , swaps , etc. They also can source rare parts for you. The imported custom parts anywhere in the region are expensive compared to the states so rig what you can in your luggage .

I do not recomend the ÁRB dealer there .. they tried to rip me. Long story but let's just say I had to get my credit card company to refund me for a lift kit that never arrived for 6 months and when it did it was incomplete and incorrect shocks .

I'm state side currently but will be headed back down this summer .

IMG_8049.jpg

Hey @DOM335! I will keep all that in mind. I'm hoping to make most of my own stuff as I love to fabricate, plus money is limited. Lol. Your Cruiser looks great and I would have got the 2 door if I didn't have a family. Dios te bendiga!

I understand the of satisfaction of doing your own work.

I actually have had 8 people in it for a 14 hour lap around El Salvador one Saturday . Lol It has flip down bench seats in the back.
Let's just say I'm glad I was driving .

I also had the same problem as you with the rim search . I finally found a set of 15x8 steel factory rims . I had them stripped and powder coated by the same place I had fab my roof rack. I was looking for the split rims also and was told by a older land cruiser guru that owns the land cruiser wrecking yard o frequent . He said to go with the newer steel wheels because the ride quality and to able to air down for sand and or rocks . He said the tube tires have to be run at higher pressure and they make for a harsh ride compared to a radial tire. He also said now days the radial tires are much more easily found throughout the region compared to when the trucks were sold there . However I did find it odd that they still sell some models with the same split rims to this day.

When I had my rack made it was only $300 including powder coating . I just gave him the dimensions , some pictures and three days later they gave me a finished rack . Now the problem is sourcing a rooftop tent . There are none in the country . I can't find a dealer anywhere for them. Maybe Costa Rica or Guatemala might have them?

Didn't mean to thread jack , just trying to help or possible . Keep the posts coming , it's always good to find more resources in the region for us all. Always fun to see how creative people can get with minimal logistics too.

Your not high jacking, I enjoy the insight. I was warned about possible issues, but a friend uses them daily. There are certainly negatives and I probably should have just gone with steelies, but I'm a bit stubborn at times. Lol. I'm looking for tires now and I'm hoping this one guy can source me some KM2's. They keep trying to get me to buy these Adventure tire brand, but I'm concerned they won't last. Seems anything found here that is quality is going to cost you big time really.

off-topic but spent couple of days going thru Honduras as part of our PanAm year 2 yrs back. Pity we couldn't have stayed longer

off-topic but spent couple of days going thru Honduras as part of our PanAm year 2 yrs back. Pity we couldn't have stayed longer

It would be fun to travel through these countries while not living here as I image you would see it through a much different light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom