Builds "Sage" My 65-FJ45 finally makes it home! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Archie.

View attachment 1337871 View attachment 1337870 View attachment 1337869 View attachment 1337867 Thanks John,

I did use the 75 doors in place of my original 65 doors. Yes there may be a larger space between the window frame and the door frame. I think it's not an issue. There is good amount of adjustment in the door hinges that helps minimize this. Here are a few photos of my 66 with original doors and the 65 with the 75 doors for a comparison.

I got the plates from Dom, I think he had them made or Made them himself. (Fantastic job) Dom. I used an original set of strikers form a later model and removed the U shaped post, drilled and welded them to the home made striker plates. Here is a photo of the finished and unfinished plates.

Regards,
Mark

Does Dom sell these plates? I need a set.

I'm not sure how of these plates Don made. You could contact him.

Good eye. Your not seeing things. We did at lot of work to make this happen. The shock tower was moved just a tiny bit to make this fit. Several hours of fab work.

Good eye. Your not seeing things. We did at lot of work to make this happen. The shock tower was moved just a tiny bit to make this fit. Several hours of fab work.

Sweet! If you have any better pics...please post. Awesome truck! I have the same one...but still trying to get her put together. I am planning on replacing the original 65 cowl with a 76 FJ40 cowl to make all the other stuff update easier (windshield frame, door catch, brake and clutch masters, pedals, heater, blower, doors, etc etc)

IMG_1706.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG
The inner fender needed some massaging because of the shock tower movement. If you didn't know, it looks factory. IMO

IMG_2186.JPG
Thanks, I can't remember exactly how far we had to move it but it wasn't much. My friend did that work as well as the fender work. We were able to retain the original look with the same size bolts and custom rounded bolt heads to match the original.

The fender needed to have a small crease forward of the shock tower and a beveled edge also to match the original. It was perfect timing since we were do a full paint on the truck...

IMG_0744.JPG
I've been looking for some 16"splits with hubcap clips so I can sport my early hubcaps... I think I may need to tear into a few old 15"Toyota wheels that I have to steal the clips. Then drill the 16's out and install clips and caps.

I have not had any luck sourcing the 16" splits with the clips. I think an OZ thing...

Sounds good Archie. I'm collecting clips at this point.

Nice, may have to go this route to sport my hubcaps.

Hey Mark,
I did as you mentioned on my 45, took 16" rims and stole the tabs off 15" then welded them in place. Though I used 16" steelie Tacoma take offs. Same idea though and it worked out great and I was able to run the 255/85/16 tall skinnies I love :beer:

upload_2016-12-6_22-40-9.png

upload_2016-12-6_22-44-43.png

Thanks JP, I have a full set of five original rims but not willing to pull those clips yet. Looking for some old wheels that may be damaged. I won't feel bad about robbing the clips then.

I agree that the 255/85 16's are a great fit for the 45. Hubcaps are the plus.

Mark I bought 2 15 inch wheels off a guy in Albany to rob the clips for my 16 inch splits that came on my 45. I know for a fact I don't need all the clips that are on the 2 wheels I bought. You are welcome to the tailgate xtras.

Nick, thanks for the offer. Yes I can use whatever you don't need. I'm just collecting the clips at this point. Shoot me a pm or give me a call at your convenience.

Did you end up putting clips on your 16" splits?

Regards
Mark

Cppilot:
Just went through this thread. A very detailed job with an awesome result. Congratulations......a beautiful truck.
Q? Where did you source the exhaust components pls? ( N/A at SOR for the tail pipe and mid pipe and the exhaust manifold to mid truck piece I did get from SOR is for mid sixties FJ40 vs my 1966 FJ 45 ......I can make it work but it's not period correct)

PS: and thanks for the help with the thermostat housing.....very much appreciated. Hunting down that choke cable for you.

That answers that question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom